WAG What is el/eagle grip worth?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
On uneven bars, what is el/eagle grip worth? Someone told me it was worth the same as a normal front giant and someone else said it was a D so it would have .1 bonus for level 10. Anyone know?

I personally don't believe its worth the risk of injury unless your planing on going elite eventually. even then I believe its more something your born with if you don't have the natural flexibility don't bother, just learn an endo

We have a 9 year old bar girl with amazing flexibility that is working eagle giants. She is the only girl in our gym working them. She is most certainly elite track and its fun to watch her, but it looks dangerous to me. I guess she is a rare girl just made for it. It may be unrelated but she does deal with shoulder and elbow pain. It does look cool when she does them and I am blown away that this little bit has the ability to a D skill. Natural talent...

I have played around with them for years. I can hang and do handstand and a sort of timer. I do it but just dont make it around. Now my coach is thinking about having me do them seriously and not just as a fun, play around with, skill. I've always been able to do it as I'm flexible.

Just a suggestion about deciding if you're "qualified" to work this skill type.

You should be able to mimic the transition motion from regular giant to the lgrip....eagle....endo giant while standing on the floor with either a broomstick or kneeling on your knees/squat-walking under the low bar. When going through the motion you should use very little momentum, if any at all, to get through the transition motion. This would be an indication that your strength and flexibility are adequate to make the skill originate from what you do to the bar, and not from what the bar does to you......

Mimic the post transition phase of the skill the same as described above. See if you can spend time comfortably in that position, and are able to move your arms slightly (like in a very small circle) while fully extended. That "trial" is a test to see how survivable the skill is for you, because you don't want to just "cut for it" and discover you have absolutely no strength or ability to adjust for balance and position misnakes....not even with a spot.

The bottom line is that you need to be flexible enough....and then some, and strong enough....plus a little more. You should also be able to go through the "mimics" motions about 25 times non-stop with no pain, and no tenderness the next day. If you experience tenderness, can't become more flexible and feel you've maxed out on flexibilty preparations......the skill's not for you, because you don't want to commit your heart, soul, and shoulders to a skill that can produce "over use" and "little-whoopsie" pains that lead to long term pain and problems.

These skills can be a great addition to any gymnast's skill set, and for some they are fairly easy to learn and enjoy on a long term basis.....but only if you can at least satisfy my list of "pre-qualifications", and those of your coach....and anybody else who's got some experience with this type of skill, as there's no such thing as bad advice when it come to being forewarned.

Just a suggestion about deciding if you're "qualified" to work this skill type.

You should be able to mimic the transition motion from regular giant to the lgrip....eagle....endo giant while standing on the floor with either a broomstick or kneeling on your knees/squat-walking under the low bar. When going through the motion you should use very little momentum, if any at all, to get through the transition motion. This would be an indication that your strength and flexibility are adequate to make the skill originate from what you do to the bar, and not from what the bar does to you......

Mimic the post transition phase of the skill the same as described above. See if you can spend time comfortably in that position, and are able to move your arms slightly (like in a very small circle) while fully extended. That "trial" is a test to see how survivable the skill is for you, because you don't want to just "cut for it" and discover you have absolutely no strength or ability to adjust for balance and position misnakes....not even with a spot.

The bottom line is that you need to be flexible enough....and then some, and strong enough....plus a little more. You should also be able to go through the "mimics" motions about 25 times non-stop with no pain, and no tenderness the next day. If you experience tenderness, can't become more flexible and feel you've maxed out on flexibilty preparations......the skill's not for you, because you don't want to commit your heart, soul, and shoulders to a skill that can produce "over use" and "little-whoopsie" pains that lead to long term pain and problems.

These skills can be a great addition to any gymnast's skill set, and for some they are fairly easy to learn and enjoy on a long term basis.....but only if you can at least satisfy my list of "pre-qualifications", and those of your coach....and anybody else who's got some experience with this type of skill, as there's no such thing as bad advice when it come to being forewarned.
I couldn't agree more

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back