Parents What should I ask at meeting for parents of kids moving up to team?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

lilymom

Proud Parent
my daughter is moving up to team! We're so excited and a bit overwhelmed.
We are having a meeting with the coach tomorrow to go over stuff and answer questions but I'm not even sure what to ask!
What should I make sure to find out about at this meeting? I don't really know much of anything about the gymnastics world and I just want to make sure I ask the right questions.
Thanks!

- how many hours a week will they train?
- how much will meet fees cost, and are the coaches fees included in that price or a separate fee?
- how much is the leotard package and what does it include?
-is there a booster club that you must join and what is their fee?

Hope this helps :) that's all I can think of.

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

After you see how much all of the fees and tuition are you will be asking about opportunities for fundraising!!

Find out if they expect your dd to compete in meets this year, if so how many, are they mandatory, where are they, etc. Ask about preferred method of communication & policies. How to inform coach/staff if your child will be absent, how to contact coach if you have questions, etc.

- how many hours a week will they train?
- how much will meet fees cost, and are the coaches fees included in that price or a separate fee?
- how much is the leotard package and what does it include?
-is there a booster club that you must join and what is their fee?

Sent from my iPhone using ChalkBucket mobile app

And ask if these fees include fees for States, Regionals and Nationals and TOPS testing/coaching fees (I know you're just joining the team but it's good to know what fees you might be in line for down the road)...at one gym we were at all of these fees were included in the assessment, and in another (A "National Team Training Center" where everyone qualified for everything so you'd think it WOULD have been included) , we were nickled and dimed to death for every fee imaginable...

You need to have an idea of what the track is like at her gym for the next several years, both practice hours and tuition / booster fees, etc. so you can make an informed decision. If you have made summer plans to travel, go ahead and let them know and find out if they want her to train as a visiting gymnast so you can do some googling and calling.

You could ask if they have a longterm plan for her, or about their general competitive track for the "average" gymnast in their program. Do they like kids to repeat a certain level and/or do they skip levels to get them to optionals quickly? Related to that, what are the general move up requirements for their first few levels (a minimum all around score, next level's skills, etc...).

You need to have an idea of what the track is like at her gym for the next several years, both practice hours and tuition / booster fees, etc. so you can make an informed decision. If you have made summer plans to travel, go ahead and let them know and find out if they want her to train as a visiting gymnast so you can do some googling and calling.

She's just joining team so she's a Level 4 (or is it Level 3 now?) so I wouldn't worry about bringing her to any gyms while on vacation because that's what vacations are for...resting the body and being with your family. My daughters are/were Level 10s for years and we have never set foot in another gym while on vacation, and it's worked out just fine...no loss of skills or getting out of shape etc like people will say will happen...

I think being a new team parent you can be guilted into thinking you need to go to another gym while on vacation but don't fall for it, your kid will be fine (unless of course you are away for the whole summer and that's a different story...)

[/B]She's just joining team so she's a Level 4 (or is it Level 3 now?) so I wouldn't worry about bringing her to any gyms while on vacation because that's what vacations are for...resting the body and being with your family. My daughters are/were Level 10s for years and we have never set foot in another gym while on vacation, and it's worked out just fine...no loss of skills or getting out of shape etc like people will say will happen...

I think being a new team parent you can be guilted into thinking you need to go to another gym while on vacation but don't fall for it, your kid will be fine (unless of course you are away for the whole summer and that's a different story...)

I completely agree! I told all our new prospective parents at tryouts this year to please go ahead and take their vacations.

Thank you so much for all those questions!!! :) I'm making a list right now.
I know I need to discuss with them if she will be allowed to compete. They told me they were looking into it because they want her on level 4 (new level 3?) and she needs to be 6 to compete but she won't be 6 until end of Feb. So that I know is going to be a big question for me.
Thanks again...you guys have been very helpful. I don't really understand how a booster club works and I would have forgotten to ask that so thanks for reminding me! And I don't know if I would have thought to ask about their track and future plans and how they generally do it.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back