WAG What this sport is really about

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Thanks for posting this. It really helps put things in perspective. And what an inspiring person!

Great post! Showed my DD and she also thought it was cool what this girl can do!

As a coach of special needs gymnasts (my favourite part of my job), I was bawling the whole way through. How inspirational not only to my coaching but my own gymnastics.

Loved that story, it really does help you focus on the intangibles. That is one amazing girl!

We went to a meet last year in San Antonio. One of the highlights of the competition is the Fiesta Jam Finals--level 9s and 10s who basically come out and put on a show for the audience. The girls love it because it gives them something to look forward to in a few years, and it's a great way to let the high fliers do their thing without scores meaning much of anything. Right before the Finals started, the host gym brought out a group of girls who were all participants in San Antonio's Special Olympics and they put on their own show--nothing spectacular, just floor and bars, but you could see the joy and happiness on their faces and the crowd was standing and dancing in their seats to their music. Even the non-competing gymnasts thought it was amazing and for some of the older girls it completely changed their perspective on what they can do and what their scores mean. I don't know if they do this every year at the meet, but if you have a chance to go the meet is called Alamo Classic. You can buy a weekend pass, which gets you into every session--including the Fiesta Jam Finals. It is definitely a meet worth going to, and the Finals are worth attending.

Great story! Cried like a baby :oops:. DD thought it was wonderful!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back