Off Topic What's for dinner?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I love to cook! I do lots of soup during the colder months as they are quick and easy- taco soup, veggie, chicken noodle with veggies, broccoli cheese. Now that it's getting warmer I try to expand to other things, though I love soup any time of year. And I usually end up with lots of leftovers that I can serve with different things for the next few days like sandwiches, salads, quesadillas, or just a slice of good wheat bread.
I like to make stir fry dishes, it's a good way to get lots of veggies and are pretty versatile based on what you have on hand. You can use fresh, seasonal veggies or a bag of frozen mixed veggies and cook them with chicken and add a sauce of your choice- homemade or store bought. One of my favorites is a honey orange stir fry:
Ingredients:
1 Pound Pork or Chicken breast (can use less meat, just replace with more veggies)
3/4 C Orange juice
1/3 C Honey
3 Tbs Soy sauce OR Liquid aminos
2 Tbs Flour
1/4 tsp Ground ginger
2 Tbs Olive oil
1 Bag frozen, unseasoned stir-fry veggies
(can substitute with fresh veggies, chopped)
1/2 C Cashews or peanuts (optional)
Hot cooked rice (I usually use brown)
Preparation:
Cut meat into thin strips, set aside. Combine orange juice, honey, soy sauce, flour, and ginger in small bowl; mix well. Heat 1 Tbs oil in large skillet over medium-high heat. Add veggies, cook about 3 minutes. Remove vegetables and set aside. Pour remaining oil into pan, add meat, cook about 3 minutes. Return vegetables to skillet, add sauce mixture and nuts. Cook and stir over medium-high heat until sauce comes to a boil and thickens. Serve over rice.

I also really like variations on pizza. A whole wheat crust (homemade or store bought- Trader Joe's has a good one) with sauce, whatever cheese you like, and all sorts of topping. You can go the traditional route or get creative and do all sorts of veggies, chicken, Southwest style with beans and corn, or whatever else your family likes. You can even separate the dough and have each person make their own and choose from a few different toppings. Or I sometimes turn the dough into a calzone- add cheese, meat, cooked veggies and roll it all up. Cook and then cut into slices. It's super flexible, can be adapted to what your family likes, and can be a pretty healthy option if you choose toppings wisely.

Tacos are also good and kid friendly. Whole wheat tortillas with seasoned meat/veggies, black beans, cheese, salsa, lettuce, tomato. Super quick and easy.

My favorite easy meal. Cook about 1/2 cup of chunky salsa until its a little thick, Add 2 cans rinsed black beans and 1 cup beef broth. Cook for 15 to 20 minutes. At the end of cooking I mash it with a potato masher. Serve over rice with sour cream and corn chips. Its easy, healthy and makes me feel like I've made a real meal.

I think I may make this tonight. Do you think it would work to add some ground beef to this?

It could be really good. If you add beef I would cook the beef with onion, garlic and chili spices. Then maybe add corn, peppers and make it a Mexican soup. The more liquid you add the more soupy it will be. Let me know how it turns out.

It could be really good. If you add beef I would cook the beef with onion, garlic and chili spices. Then maybe add corn, peppers and make it a Mexican soup. The more liquid you add the more soupy it will be. Let me know how it turns out.

Great Suggestions! I'll let you know how it works out. THANKS!

Tritip in the oven. 30 minutes ish.

Moco Loco. Steam some rice, throw on some eggs and cover it with hamburger and gravy.

Burritos/Tacos. Fajitas.

Loma Saltado. Grill up some steak or chicken. Add in some onions, tomatoes. Traditionally served with french fries/cut potatoes and rice but I'd advocate just one of those.

Make up salads, throw on meat on top possibly with juices.

And I'm hungry again.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back