WAG Where is this?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

Flipomaniak

Gymnast
Reaction score
Link Removed

Link Removed

I'm pretty sure it's not in the US as I've never heard or seen of anyone competing without a low bar. In the third one the girl uses a beam mat for almost every skill and I know that's not allowed in the US and in one video they show the scores and it's not the 10.0 scoring system.

I'm not ignorant, I'm completely aware that there are many different systems all around the world and even more than 1 in countries. I just have never seen or heard of some places competing bars with no low bar. It reminds me of men's high bar a little bit, just how the coach lifts them up and how they start.

Where is this?
Very curious.

I'd say Australia, but that's just a guess. Clues being one of the leoatards in the background looked similar to an olympic one, as well as there is a flag in the background with a kangaroo on it.

IDP is australian. Uk also use a single high bar for certain age groups and levels.

That would be an Australian competition. We have a seperate levels system for gymnasts who chosen to pursue elite. These girls do the IDP levels (International Deevelopment Program). Only a single bar is used for competition, the girls dont start using the double bars until level 10.

Just adding that I have also seen the Russians using single bars as well for some competition levels. No low bar, no mill circle :) The early IDP levels in Australia use the men's HB with straps and gloves/socks.

Thanks!
Wow I find using a single rail for bars so strange as I've always done gymnastics in the US. Wouldn't it be very challenging to go from a single rail to both rails? I know it's a common problem to get skills "between the bars," here in the US. Wouldn't it be very challenging to have to change all your skills to go between the bars? And learn transitions if you haven't had a low bar, ever...

As someone else said they compete something similar here in the UK (so I'm speaking for what they do here).

It's not that they never use a single bar. They train on both bars a lot. They learn kips (upstarts) early in the process, BHC etc. just like everyone else.

The cast squat on transition to high bar is one of the first skills they compete on the elite track.

Alongside those dual bar skills they do a lot of work with straps and goves on the single, metal bar - working towards giants, backaways and so on.

When it comes to competition there are a couple of grades in which they compete only on the metal bar, because they are showing the judges those specific skills. Just like in the US the grades and levels are a progression of skills, so they will have already competed some of the low bar skills by the time they reach that point.

They don't just train them on a single bar and then one day decide to let them know there's another to cope with, that would be a bit wierd!

The use of the single bar is

Some gyms in New Zealand also run IDP using the Australian system. It is what you would call the elite track. New Zealand also used the Australian levels system in the past but changed last year to a new New Zealand-created system called STEPS. All gyms here with competitive WAG programs would have STEPS but only a few have IDP as well. At our gym the most talented youngsters go into the IDP stream, and the moderately talented go into STEPS. As well as the physical talent they also need outstanding dedication, drive and mental toughness. Those that aren't cutting it in IDP can transfer into STEPS.

The scoring system for both IDP and STEPS is based on FIG. There is an execution score out of 10 added to a difficulty score which can vary but for STEPS compulsory levels is out of 5 and I think for IDP is out of 6. The progressions for IDP are different and based on setting them up for high level gymnastics. So for bar they work a lot on the high bar and learn things like giants very early on. They tend to train much higher skills than they compete. They also train much longer hours. Some IDP gymnasts from our gym went to Australia recently and competed in the Australasian Club Championships.

Competition is not considered the most important element of IDP training, they don't spend all their time working routines, they work routines for competition but spend most of their time on conditioning and skill development. So they still train between bar skills.

Oh ok thanks! Wow other systems get so confusing. USAG- levels 1-10 and elite. Lol!

She's an incredibly beautiful gymnast. I hope she continues on for a long time !

The Quebec developmental program also uses the single bar, kids do not compete here until the year they turn nine. But the Defi program starts at 4 and has six levels. The bar with straps and gloves is used throughout. AT the top end of Defi, levels 5 and six, girls might be compete at the National level.

I thought some of you would be interested in seeing how this girl fits into our level system.

The girl in the first video is IDP Level 6 (which is actually the 5th level because there is no level 4). The routines she is doing are compulsary routines ie everyone does exactly the same. To be in IDP level 6 they have to be at least 9 years old on Jan 1st of that year, but no older than 11 on Jan 1st. IDP Level 6 is intended to be about equivalent to level 7 in the normal level stream.

the girl in the second video is IDP Level 8 (which is the 6th level because there is also no level 7. The levels go 1-2-3-5-6-8-10). Level 8 routines are also compulsary but you can do bonus skills. For her the front aerial was a bonus. To be IDP level 8 you have to be at least 10 on Jan 1st that year and no older than 12. IDP Level 8 is considered the same as the normal level 9.

They have recently become a little more flexible about the upper age limits for the levels in soe areas. But if you are beyond the upper age limits stated above the idea is to accelerate you to that level in order to qualify for senior at the right age.

IDP level 6 is the lowest level that you can compete at national championships.

In New Zealand they go to nationals from IDP3 I think, and from Step 5, if they get qualifying scores. I found this video of one of the most talented girls from our gym at nationals last year - it was public on youtube so hopefully it is okay to post a link here.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yzQS5J65WSE

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back