WAG why do some gymnasts look floppy and others perfect?

• Thread starter Thread starter katlinchen
  • Start date Start date

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
K

katlinchen

I watch a ton of gymnastics vids on youtube and also love watching the girls in my gym.

There is one thing I noticed and I am curious what and why this is.

There are girls, whose routines always look perfect. Although they might not do harder skills, miss skills, fall off the beam or whatever...it just looks good. And then there are girls, although they have very hard skills, whose routines just look kinda slow and floppy.

I can't even tell the exact difference, they do the same hand movements on beam, the legs are equally high etc...but its different, though!

Why is this? Is is just something that varies from person to person? Is it training? A technique or strength thing?

Thanks

I believe it is training with attention to detail and proper conditioning.

Our gym focuses on proper form and tightness as opposed to getting harder skills. Lots and lots of conditioning.

Some girls also make their own floor and beam routine so that may be a reason too

Some have to work a lot harder and longer for that tightness and precision to start showing when they are doing things, even with appropriate conditioning and attention to form. It's not unusual to see kids from the same team at the same level who look very different doing the same skills they have trained together.

Some have to work a lot harder and longer for that tightness and precision to start showing when they are doing things, even with appropriate conditioning and attention to form. It's not unusual to see kids from the same team at the same level who look very different doing the same skills they have trained together.

Thank you! Is there anything you can do to get the tightness? Any drills?

Time, time, and more time?? ;)

Seriously, if you were to see videos of some of the kids I'm thinking of from 2-3 years ago, you almost wouldn't recognize them now as the same kids. Others just looked pretty good from the beginning and just got better as the difficulty of the skills they are working has increased. For DD, improving strength has helped, and as she has trained skills that are more difficult to execute, her form has had to improve, because she doesn't have the capacity to do big skills ugly.

I also think that confidence plays a big part. Dance training helps too.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back