Parents Why isn't this a fall?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.

gymbeam

Proud Parent
Reaction score
Perusing recent Level 8 state meet videos on You Tube and just watched this one.

I thought the second "whoop" around the low bar would be considered a fall (I'm blanking on what the skill is called! LOL!)

She scored 9.575 so how did they come to that?

Adding the second sole circle can receive a rhythm deduction but is not considered a fall or extra swing. She probably lost a tenth.

i realize its a skill, but it looks to me it was a save from a fall- especially since she did two in a row.
i would have thought it would have been more of a deduction based on that (and things i thought i had read about what gets called a fall, but apparently misunderstood).

i realize its a skill, but it looks to me it was a save from a fall- especially since she did two in a row.
i would have thought it would have been more of a deduction based on that (and things i thought i had read about what gets called a fall, but apparently misunderstood).

In L5, my DD got a .3 deduction for a 2nd sole circle -- but that was for a compulsory routine.

Reactions: sce
I've heard judges can deduct for a fall if they think the gymnast used a skill to cover up the fall, however I imagine that would be very subjective.

Mine was totally charged with a fall for just adding ONE sole circle in L7.....before the squat on.....

In compulsories it would be considered adding an extra skill to the routine.
Correct -- a compulsory routine is scripted and if a gymnast varies from that, it is a deduction. It is not a fall, but it is an error.

In optionals, it isn't counted as a fall because it isn't a fall. They could potentially deduct from the routine for wild/out of control movement, but not necessarily. I also thought this was a very generous score, but don't think it should have been counted as a fall either. The first circle was more out of control and deserved at least a .10 or so.

We all agree with you....except the judge who told my DDs coach that 'she clearly was covering up the squat on fall' so she was hit with a fall.......yes, my dd was furious.

1 sole circle is allowed in compulsories before jumpimg to the high bar. It's written in as allowable and there is no deduction for doing just 1 in compulsories. In optionals it's a skill and no deduction unless more than 2 are performed in a routine. If 2 are done in a row, is most likely a fall cover-up and can get deductions.

Once, we had a girl in L6 attempting a high bar back hip circle, but she flew off the bar (over the bar) and managed to grab the bar with one hand so she didn't fall.
Not only did they not call it a fall, they gave her credit for a B clear circling skill - lol.

Actually, 1 is allowed before jumpimg to the high bar.
Yes, I am aware, the poster I was responding to said her daughter got the deduction for a 2nd sole circle. Hence the extra skill.

1 sole circle is allowed in compulsories before jumpimg to the high bar. It's written in as allowable and there is no deduction for doing just 1 in compulsories. In optionals it's a skill and no deduction unless more than 2 are performed in a routine. If 2 are done in a row, is most likely a fall cover-up and can get deductions.
There is no deduction for performing more than 2 sole circles in an optional routine(except for execution deductions). A skill performed more than twice just does not receive any value part credit.

Perusing recent Level 8 state meet videos on You Tube and just watched this one.

I thought the second "whoop" around the low bar would be considered a fall (I'm blanking on what the skill is called! LOL!)

She scored 9.575 so how did they come to that?

In L5, my DD got a .3 deduction for a 2nd sole circle -- but that was for a compulsory routine.

As did my daughter in an optionals routine. It was considered a fall but not a full .5 was deducted as she stayed on the bars. Only .3 deduction was taken. I compared it with a very big wobble on beam where the gymnast is completely out of the body line/form or using flailing arms to save a fall. I have seen a .3 deduction on that also.

She took her hands off the bar and then put them back on... it's a deduction .05 - .1. And I would take a .1 for rythem as well. Depends on the judge .

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

THE BEST OF ALL TIME

Back