Parents Wish I had time

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

z2akids

Proud Parent
I know the whole reasoning behind staying away from practice. And I do. I actually work nights, so most nights in couldn'couldn't stay even if I wanted to.

But, the last couple of weeks, I wish I had time to stay and watch. DD is loving gym, possibly more than she ever has (granted she is onlyn3 years into gymnastics). Her L4 skills (even that evil vault) are apparently coming along quite well. And, she just about has her BWO on the high beam and apparently has a pretty good full turn and is working flyaway drills and more. She is having so much fun amid the hard work and she wants me to be a part of it. And, I am unfortunately not in a position for the next 3-4 weeks to be able to watch any practice.

She still has more than 7 weeks until her first competition. I hope to have a chance to see how it is going.

Anyone else not watch, but wish they had time to now and again?

It's a mixed blessing to able to watch, for sure!! I am so thankful that we are allowed to watch whenever, and it is fun to see what the kids are doing, but at the same time there are times I wish I didn't watch.... It's hard watching your kid be frustrated or fail over and over, KWIM? It's awesome to be there for the successes though..!
I hope when you do get a chance to watch that it's a good practice and she blows you away with all her new progress!!

Definitely!
When DD was L4, they didn't do conditiong every single night. So I could show up early sometime and see some stuff.
Now in optionals, the last half hour every night is conditioning. Not so much fun to watch.
I often joke with another gym mom friend that one day I'm just going to drop in on my way home from work, and watch for half an hour :)

Definitely!
When DD was L4, they didn't do conditiong every single night. So I could show up early sometime and see some stuff.
Now in optionals, the last half hour every night is conditioning. Not so much fun to watch.
I often joke with another gym mom friend that one day I'm just going to drop in on my way home from work, and watch for half an hour :)
I do this! I drop in just for a while after work and I usually see beam, but darn it, I want to see BARS!

No I can feel myself getting stressed if I am there more then 5-10 mins.

I completely understand. I was in a unique situation yesterday that allowed me to watch a whole practice of my DD and I haven't seen more than conditioning in practice for probably four months. I was blown away by seeing the differences in her gymnastics. I mean it's one thing to hear "I got x,y,z" and it's another to see it firsthand. I wouldn't want to sit through four hour practices again regularly, but I do wish I got a little more viewing time. If this is her passion, I want to see it and enjoy her enthusiasm.

My 12 year old DD loves it when I'm there twice a week for an hour with her younger sister so she can show me her latest stuff.

What impressed me most about witnessing practice was that I began to understand how slow and precise the progress is in this sport. My work schedule changed about a year ago and enabled me to see practice one day a week. The first day, I watched my daughter try a skill and fail, and fail, and fail, and fail. Not even CLOSE. I thought, "Wow, good thing I am here tonight, she's going to need my moral support." But my DD came out, all smiles. "How did practice go?", I asked. "Great!" she replied, and she told me how she was getting closer and improving on one little portion of the skill that would enable her to master it, and what she was working on for other skills that looked great to me, but to her needed lots of work. I was so impressed and it gave me a better understanding of the minutae that make up a skill in gymnastics, and the mental side of this sport. When I can see a practice, I feel so lucky to witness these tough athletes at work!

Mine likes me to stay, but I can do a lot with those 9 hours minus the commute. I watch a whole practice maybe once a month, and other times I'll leave shortly after warm up or come early for pick up and catch a little floor before they stretch. My daughter seems floppy and silly at practice, and then at meets she surprises me with her poise.

I thought I would update. I finally got to stay for a couple of hours over the weekend and saw bars, beam and floor. It was such a treat to see how far she has come in a few short months. It was the first time I have seen her team do the floor and beam routines. It was good to see they are still uptraing (working BWO and bHS on beam) while also working routines.

To my untrained eye, she looks good out there, confident and tight. Getting excited for her season to start, although I know thst the 10 year old L4 groups are going to be tough with high percentages of repeaters.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back