WOGA Summer Camp?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Have any of you (or your children/gymnasts) ever gone to this camp? I was looking at it because it costs just about the same amount as the college camp that is nearby. However, I could not find much info about it. If you/ your gymnast went, did you/they enjoy it? Would they go again? Thanks in advance:)

-gymluvr33

Sorry to dig this out again, but I have to tell my parents what my decision is. Considering that no one replied, I am thinking that at the very least it is a little known camp, to more that maybe it is only open to WOGA gymnasts? Any imput at all would be very helpful, even (or maybe especially) if you haven't heard of it. Thanks so much:)

woga

I haven't personally gone, (haha obviously) but a friend of my daughter has and she loved it. Not limited to Woga Gymnasts.

If you need info quickly, you should call WOGA, their phone # is on their website. That camp fills very quickly, I am sure!

Are you referring to the competitive gymnasts' camp that they hold only for one week every summer (July 11-15 this year)?

My daughter has been every year for the past 3 years and is planning on going again this year. She has enjoyed it every year (obviously--she keeps wanting to go back)!

It is a day camp--they start the workout from 9AM and go to 2PM from M-W of the week, with a 30 min. lunch. On the Thursday, the workout is shortened because they take the girls to a water park, and on the Friday, the workout is shortened because they have a signing party with Nastia, Carly, and a few of their up and coming elites. When my dd went in 2008, Nastia and a few of the elites came into the gym with them and worked out with them for a few hours--that was a big thrill for the girls, especially since she had not yet gone to the Olympics.

We have always loved it, but I don't think everyone who goes loves it. Or rather, maybe the gymnasts love it, but I have heard complaints from some of the parents. Here are some of the things they have complained about: 1) too many games and not enough "serious training"; 2) not enough hours training--it is probably just right for level 4-5 and maybe even 6, but last year there were several girls who were level 8 and 9 and 3-5 hours per day was not enough for them, or so thought their parents; 3) no conditioning!--several parents were shocked that the girls do not condition one day when they are there.

The last thing is that it is not an overnight camp. You would have to pay for a hotel room for a week unless you have friends/family in the Frisco area, so you have to add that into the expense. I'm thinking about at least $500 for hotel, food and the rental car that you will definitely need in Frisco. (Poor public transportation.)

Some things you might want to think about are why you want to go to this camp. My dd (now level 8) says she has gotten good tips from the coaches. Certainly it is very cool to be coached by Valeri Liukin and the rest of the world class WOGA staff. The world champions and Olympians that these coaches at WOGA have worked with and developed is amazing. Rubbing shoulders with Ivanna Hong, Nastia, Rebecca Bross, etc., is thrilling for younger gymnasts, and probably older ones too. :) The experience is more just fun and games and being exposed to Olympians and world class coaching, and probably some good helpful tips.

If you are looking for long hours and training all day, you will not get it there. I haven't heard of anyone going to camp and getting noticed by anyone at WOGA either. If you are trying to make an impression on college recruiters--you're probably better off going to the college camp.

I think this camp is a blast for level 4-6s and probably 7s. By level 8-9, well I guess it just depends on who you are and your goals and how your parents feel about spending one week training in a more relaxed, fun and less intense environment.

I hope that helps and if you have any more specific questions just ask or send me a private message. :)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back