Anon Would you leave a gym?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (acfe)

I just found out tonight that our state changed the minimum qualify score for states changed this year. Our girls were told they qualified at the old cutoff. But they haven't. And the gym has not told them yet. When I brought it up to the coach when a parent from another team informed me of the new cutoff, she said she hoped they would make it in the next 2 meets. I am livid. How do I continue to have any trust in this gym? My daughter has been looking forward to states because she thought she made it.do I just look for a new gym after this season? Before this season ends?

That is annoying, but not sure if it is more than that and definitely not sure if it would make me want to switch clubs. I guess it depends a bit on whether the club is a good one with a safe environment and whether any decent alternatives were available. If my child was in a good place, I would leave her where she was, especially if there is still a chance she might qualify.

While I wouldn't be happy about the coach's approach on this, I would not consider this an offense that would make me want to leave a gym that I was otherwise happy with. Having said that, most states have low score requirements ranging from 32-34. If that is the case with your state, I would be more concerned that everyone has not met the score requirement yet and might be looking for a gym switch for better coaching.

Either way, I would certainly tell my daughter about the score change to prepare her.

While I wouldn't be happy about the coach's approach on this, I would not consider this an offense that would make me want to leave a gym that I was otherwise happy with. Having said that, most states have low score requirements ranging from 32-34. If that is the case with your state, I would be more concerned that everyone has not met the score requirement yet and might be looking for a gym switch for better coaching.

Either way, I would certainly tell my daughter about the score change to prepare her.
I agree with this! I think the higher minimum score requires something like an 8.5 average. If multiple girls on a team are struggling to average an 8.5, there is a much bigger issue at play on my opinion.

Yes the score went from 32 to 34 this year but no one told the girls or the parents. So all the girls thought they qualified at their first meet - and we got an email saying they did - but there is about 1/3 of the team that is just under 34. I am just so frustrated with the communication from the gym and that the girls don't know that they haven't qualified yet. Last year we had the gym forget to register one of the levels for a meet - and didn't find out til the rotation schedule came out 2 weeks before and they weren't on it. We get 0 feedback from the coaches about how the girls are doing until the season is over. I'm not sure another gym will be different - but I found out about the change because one of the other gyms in the area emailed all the parents about the change when it happened. I think mentally it would be different for the girls to go from knowing what the score that they need is vs thinking they have it and finding out they don't. Plus I am frustrated they had us order the state meet Leo's knowing the girls have not yet qualified. I would have rather kept that money!

The bigger concern should be why 1/3rd of the team hasn't qualified. This suggests a problem with coaching/training. Either they were never ready to compete at their level or they have not received appropriate coaching to 'clean up' routines to get to a 34.

Lack of communication is not unusual and while annoying I wouldn't necessarily leave the gym for that reason alone.

Would having known that the qualifying score was raised really have changed the performances for the rest of the season? Was your DD only trying hard enough to get a 32 and would have tried harder if she knew she needed a 34, or does she always try her best no matter what and the qualifying score really doesn't matter. Additionally you should ask yourself if your DD can't score a 34 in the first place is it even appropriate that she goes to a qualifying meet? Isn't it just setting her up for a bad finish to the season?

There is still time to get that score but keep in mind that stressing out about qualifying is not fun for kids and doesn't help them become better gymnast, just let her do her best and if she qualifies great, if not plan on taking advantage of the free weekend and doing something fun instead.

If the last 2 meets are smaller meets in your home state, you may find that kids who are on the cusp of qualifying get a small 'boost' in scores. Nothing too drastic - an 8.0 routine is suddenly not going to be a 8.5 but you may find that your DD scores on the high end of her range.

Would having known that the qualifying score was raised really have changed the performances for the rest of the season? Was your DD only trying hard enough to get a 32 and would have tried harder if she knew she needed a 34, or does she always try her best no matter what and the qualifying score really doesn't matter. Additionally you should ask yourself if your DD can't score a 34 in the first place is it even appropriate that she goes to a qualifying meet? Isn't it just setting her up for a bad finish to the season?

There is still time to get that score but keep in mind that stressing out about qualifying is not fun for kids and doesn't help them become better gymnast, just let her do her best and if she qualifies great, if not plan on taking advantage of the free weekend and doing something fun instead.
Mentally I do think the situation is different now. I honestly don't think the coach was aware that some of the girls hadn't qualified until I brought it up. They really pushed everyone buying the state Leo's so all the girls can match at practice. We only have 5 meets other than states this year so it sucks their season is 2 months shorter than last year. If you take all her best scores (she has medaled in every meet), she would have well over a 34, she just hasn't put it together in the same meet (she is 0.2 away). The coach is now doing free privates with all the girls who haven't qualified, so 🤞that it helps.

The other part is that her younger sister did qualify (no score cutoff for level 3 this year but even if there was, she would have qualified anyway), so it's not like we can pretend the meet is not happening.

If your child does not get to compete at state and instead goes to cheer on her sister and teammates, that’s okay. It may not be your most-preferred outcome but it can still be a positive learning experience. Your attitude will set the tone for your child, so try to stay upbeat about all The possible outcomes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News