Parents Wow...this is either a warning or a testimonial

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I don't have anything new to add, but I just wanted to post in support. I completely understand why you feel the way you do. When people in a position of authority act irrationally, it can throw your entire world out of whack.

I feel confident you will find a better fit for your family.

As for booster clubs, Pickle's gym doesn't have one either. Luckily, the owner has been in it for a long time and is very upfront with the fees. The only fee I've ever been surprised by was a locker fee (which was only a $15 one-time fee and frankly was just a little weird but was small enough that no one complained). Our monthly fees are a little higher than some gyms, but it includes almost everything, so it all evens out in the end. And, at least I know how to budget.

Please know you are not a victim! You and your DD did what is right and stood up for yourselves and others. Hold your heads high. The owners will reap what they sow.

Move forward. Make the call to the other gym. It may be a good thing the girls don't compete right away. It will give your family time to ease into a new enviroment and to start to enjoy the sport again.

:grouphug: I join Netty in giving you a group hug.

I know it doesn't make you feel any better, but who would want to be part of a gym that treats people this way! Be glad they kicked you out so you don't have to deal with them.

Update on this bad experience

It has been a little over 7 months since our bad experience with the old gym. It has taken a toll on our whole family and we are just recovering from the emotional stress of it all. I wanted to give an update. Right after the experience, the kids were emotionally damaged to the point where they had a bad taste in their mouth for the whole sport. They tried out at a couple of gyms, but really couldn't find the spirit to work out at all. Hannah, my daughter, ended up going to the "new" gym that I talked about in the original posting--but for Trampoline. She is absolutely in love with Tramp! She has won both silver and bronze medals and she qualified for Nationals in one event, but we decided not to go. She has truly found her niche. :D

Richard on the other hand, was very traumatized by the experience at the old gym. He quit gymnastics altogether and went into Judo. He lost his 6-pack abs and developed a little tummy. We were all very sad and I was worried sick about him. One day when we were at the new gym watching Hannah do tramp at their end of year performance, Richard went up to the boys coach and asked if he could join the team. This was in June. He's been sooo happy. Yesterday the head coach told him he would move him up. This is so good for him because he's been in such a slump about the whole thing. There's only one thing to say--It's all worth it. Just keep sticking to it and things always turn out. The forum here at the Chalk Bucket have been so supportive and I want you to know how I truly appreciate every bit of advise and friendship. Thank you! :)

Gym owners, parents and gymnasts are consumers and we do get to choose where we work out, so watch out! ;)

Last edited by a moderator:
so happy that things worked out in the end. looks like it was a long, slow healing process but I am so glad everyone is happy now !

I'm glad that things are working out for you. We have a new gym opening in town and the meeting for potentially interested new parents is very hush-hush... time, date, and location only disclosed to parents who have contacted the new owner directly and asked for information. Everyone (regardless of what gym they're currently attending) is loathe to have that gym find out that they're looking. Another parent and I joked (well... we were mostly joking) about going in disguise. I understand that, in many ways, the gym becomes a family and decisions to move can be gut-wrenching, but at the same time, we're parents and we want to do what's best for our kids. When the current gym is less than ideal, we should be able to "shop around" a bit without fear of reprisal, especially when the HC is aware of our concerns with the current gym and unable to fix them, even though she might want to. I could handle the HC taking it out on me, but I can't abide the thought of them taking it out on my DD. Though I suppose, at that point, a difficult decision becomes much easier...

Its your money, your kid and you want the best for your family. Don't feel bad because you were looking around at other gyms. Remember in the end the Gym is a BUSINESS!! and if they want to keep people they have to give the service that the clients are looking for. No gym will refuse business no mattter how late in the season it is so feel free to look around and try other gyms.

Where are you at that the season is going on? Our season is Nov - May May - Oct is practice time for our optionals.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back