Gymnasts xcel to optionals at age 15, is it possible?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Hey there! I am an xcel platinium gymnast, (training many diamond skills), who started in Xcel Bronze at age 10 and am now 15. Although I am not naturally talented at gymnastics, I have been frequently complimented for my patience and persistence in this sport. My hard work has led to a lot of success in gymnastics and I love the sport so much that I am hoping to be able to pursue it more seriously in level 7 next season in the optionals program. I know that it is pretty rare to see a gymnast switch from Xcel to Optionals, and especially at an older age, I know that switching to a level with a lot of younger girls may be frowned upon by coaches and judges. However, I am trying my hardest to get my level 7 skills and have already made a lot of progress towards this goal, and an optionals coach at my gym said switching would be a possibility if I get all the required skills. For reference, I have all of the level 6 skills except a backhandspring on the beam due to shoulder problems. Here are some of the skills I have/am working on; Floor: front tuck-front tuck, round of layout, working on round off handspring layout and round off full, Beam: round off, cartwheel round off on low beam and back tuck on low beam, switch leap on high beam, cartwheel back tuck and front tuck off beam. Bars: full level 6 routine, very close to kip cast handstand, have done giant with spot on pit bar, clear hip to above horizontal(working towards handstand and have done clear hip hand on strap bar). Vault- tsuk timer to mat stack and front handspring 1/2 twist, working on tsuk. I know this is a long forum, but I wanted to ask online what other coaches/ gymnasts/ judges/parents think about me. Does anyone have any similar experiences to this? Feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to progress in this sport!

Hi! I'm currently a level 8 gymnast who switched from excel to DP at 13. I also am friends with several girls who have been in excel their entire career and switched over at 14/15 and been successful in the optionals program. There are tons of 15/16 and even 17/18 level 7s out there so you will fit in fine age-wise. I say go for it! If you are serious about the sport and are willing to put in the extra hours and work that DP requires then why not? It's a big adjustment for sure, since DP programs at most gyms are twice as intense as excel programs, but it's so worth it if you love the sport and want the extra challenge.

Hi! I'm currently a level 8 gymnast who switched from excel to DP at 13. I also am friends with several girls who have been in excel their entire career and switched over at 14/15 and been successful in the optionals program. There are tons of 15/16 and even 17/18 level 7s out there so you will fit in fine age-wise. I say go for it! If you are serious about the sport and are willing to put in the extra hours and work that DP requires then why not? It's a big adjustment for sure, since DP programs at most gyms are twice as intense as excel programs, but it's so worth it if you love the sport and want the extra challenge.
Thank you so much for your input!! I am definitely in for extra work and intensity! Just got to get the skills :)

There is no age limit on these levels. I know in the US it’s rare to see adult gymnasts in USAG levels, but from what I can see there is no age limit at all. You can switch to level 7 at 45 if you want

Age is not important at all when it co es to level. The level you compete will simply depend if your skill level and what you are ready for. Being older can even give you a great advantage.

Older girls often have a maturity and Polish to their dance and performance that the younger girls are not ready for.

Hey there! I am an xcel platinium gymnast, (training many diamond skills), who started in Xcel Bronze at age 10 and am now 15. Although I am not naturally talented at gymnastics, I have been frequently complimented for my patience and persistence in this sport. My hard work has led to a lot of success in gymnastics and I love the sport so much that I am hoping to be able to pursue it more seriously in level 7 next season in the optionals program. I know that it is pretty rare to see a gymnast switch from Xcel to Optionals, and especially at an older age, I know that switching to a level with a lot of younger girls may be frowned upon by coaches and judges. However, I am trying my hardest to get my level 7 skills and have already made a lot of progress towards this goal, and an optionals coach at my gym said switching would be a possibility if I get all the required skills. For reference, I have all of the level 6 skills except a backhandspring on the beam due to shoulder problems. Here are some of the skills I have/am working on; Floor: front tuck-front tuck, round of layout, working on round off handspring layout and round off full, Beam: round off, cartwheel round off on low beam and back tuck on low beam, switch leap on high beam, cartwheel back tuck and front tuck off beam. Bars: full level 6 routine, very close to kip cast handstand, have done giant with spot on pit bar, clear hip to above horizontal(working towards handstand and have done clear hip hand on strap bar). Vault- tsuk timer to mat stack and front handspring 1/2 twist, working on tsuk. I know this is a long forum, but I wanted to ask online what other coaches/ gymnasts/ judges/parents think about me. Does anyone have any similar experiences to this? Feedback would be greatly appreciated as I am trying to progress in this sport!
Judges don't care how old you are. They judge your skills, execution, and artistry ... not your age compared to the other girls.
Unless your gym requires it, a BHS on beam is NOT required for Level 6. A roundoff is acceptable in Level 6 Beam, and at Level 7, Cartwheel-Roundoff is an acceptable series.

I would say go for it. Our gym has had a couple JO to XCEL and XCEL to JO transfers and all our XCEL to JO kids are really doing well. You’ll be a little old but it’s not too bad (I’m 16 training with a majority 10-12 yr olds). Just go over and show that you want it. Try for 7 for this season or 8 for next season.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back