WAG Xcel ?

• Thread starter Thread starter Ex member
  • Start date Start date
  • Tags Tags
    xcel

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
E

Ex member

Hello

Can some of you give me the - Gymnastics For Dummies- version of what Xcel is and what the regular USAG program is and how they differ and why there, seems to me, two different sets of programs? Am I the only one who thinks this is confusing? Granted, I am new here so maybe its one of those - confusing at first - kinds of things?

Thanks

I could not find it sorry. I want to know too!!

Xcel is an alternative to the Junior Olympic (JO) program. Both were created by USAG (USA gymnastics).

Xcel was made for girls who can't/don't want to commit to the training hours of JO levels, and is also more affordable. It's levels go: Bronze, Silver, Gold, Platinum, and Diamond. They are really a mix of JO levels. The gymnasts are able to create their own floor and beam routines, and choose what skills go in their bar routines, as long as they follow the guidelines of the program (found here: Link Removed ). Up until the gold level they have specified vaults.

Being able to create routines is really cool, because normally girls at the lower skill levels (Bronze, silver) would be going through compulsories (levels 2-5), where every gymnast competes the same routines on each event.

More info on xcel : https://usagym.org/pages/women/pages/xcel.html

As for JO... I think someone else should cover this :rolleyes:. I'm not an expert.

Well, gymnastics is expensive and it takes extensive training hours to stay flexible, strong, maintain and then gain skills.

For girls who want to be involved in competition but not commit to 24 hours a week, they could do the xcel program. It's cheaper in tuition and for meets, and the hours are cut to 8 or 12 hours (it all depends on the gym for the hours, it could be lower or a little higher).

For me personally, I started late and wanted to compete. As a newbie, I knew nothing and immediately was put into the Xcel program. I'm happy to not have competed compulsory levels, mostly because of my age! I'm still happily competing and I also do 2 other sports and some other activities. If I wanted to do JO, I would most likely have to quit all of them (maybe with the exception of one). Honestly, for gymnastics I would quit most of them, but I do really love them.

So let me ask you this. Is it possible for someone to start in Xcel so they can go at their own pace, and being able to pick their own skills and routines and such is a nice element to add and then when ready, switch over to the Junior Olympic program ? I know there is a Ladies division. Any insight on this from anyone would be great too. I am going to go check out those links now.

Mobility has always been something that confused me.If you choose to do JO after doing Xcel, I think you may have to compete and score out of (so achieve a certain all around score that your state requires) each level. You may be able to start at L4 and work your way up.

Check this out: Link Removed

Anyone else have info?

Xcel is used differently depending on where you are. It is my understanding that the *intent* is that it is for girls who can't/don't want to commit the time that it takes for JO. Say they have other sports or activities or they just don't want every day to be gymnastics practice after school. A lot of times it is also girls who start a little later.

What happens in our area is generally several of the gyms use Xcel as a way to fast track girls through. They do Xcel and then just score out of levels 4 and 5 and then go into level 6 or 7 (optionals). By doing this they girls are able to have their routines a bit customized to their own strengths and they just stress about the JO routines enough to get the 31 USAG move up requirement. You do have to compete level 4 and 5 of JO if you want to move into optionals on the JO tract.

Since in our area some of the gyms use Xcel to fast track girls, it also means their most talented girls are doing it. Which then means that the gyms using it as it is actually intended have girls at a bit of a disadvantage IMO.

So let me ask you this. Is it possible for someone to start in Xcel so they can go at their own pace, and being able to pick their own skills and routines and such is a nice element to add and then when ready, switch over to the Junior Olympic program ? I know there is a Ladies division. Any insight on this from anyone would be great too. I am going to go check out those links now.
As long as a gymnast is at least 14 and in High school, then she can petition into JO L6 or L7 when she has the appropriate skills WITHOUT having to score out of L4 and L5.
So... if someone age 14+ were to do Xcel until they were in Platinum and had upgraded their routines to be L7 "competition ready", they could petition USAG for entry into L7.

GOTCHA! Thank you for your explanation. Much appreciated.

Very interesting 2g1b!! Here, Xcel is used the opposite way; gymnasts who can't/won't do JO past compulsory levels go over to Xcel to be able to keep enjoying their sport and still compete but on a less serious track. We don't do Xcel at all at our gym, we aren't opposed to it as such but with a JO team, TOPs and a men's team we have our gym pretty full and coaches busy, lol! Right now, the girls that have a hard time skill-wise going for L7 OR simply don't want to commit the hours end up either quitting or switching to another, less serious, gym for their Xcel program.
I think it sounds like a wonderful program for those who just are not willing or able to do JO.
I always find it fascinating that different gyms/areas have such different takes on how the various programs get used..!

So is would it be a"quicker" way to move through the lower levels? Our gym just started xcel this season and I've just seen the rec kids being offered that course.

Our gym doesn't offer Xcel, so I can only speak to JO and what I know about it. JO is broken down into levels (1-10.) Levels 1-3 are preparatory levels and do not require competition (although many gyms can and do compete these levels.) Levels 1-5 are compulsory, everyone does exactly the same routines at meets. Levels 6-10 are optional where girls perform individual routines that fill specific skill requirements. There are required scores to move levels from 4 on (with the exception of level 6.)

JO is what is offered around here, Excel not so much. So for us if you want to compete, JO is the way to go. From what I have seen/heard it does require more time, Pea is training L6/7 and trains 20 a week during the summer but only 16 during the school year and that seems to be on the lower end here.

JO is generally a higher hours commitment with more emphasis on conditioning and form. In JO, the girls all compete the same routines in the lower levels rather than having individually tailored routines. JO compulsories go from L1 to L5, though many gyms don't start girls competing until L3 or L4.

So is would it be a"quicker" way to move through the lower levels? Our gym just started xcel this season and I've just seen the rec kids being offered that course.

No. Some older girls who start in XCel are able to move quickly through XCel and then make the switch over to JO. But most JO girls start in the JO program and at most, do XCel briefly after doing a few years of JO compulsories and before they start JO optionals. This path may become less common with the recent introduction of JO Level 6, which can provide an alternative to new JO L5/old JO L6, which was a level many gyms chose to skip or avoid in the old system.

Where I live, Xcel is not any less focused on conditioning or form. I thought it would be, but I joined recently and the conditioning is harder. Also because the routines are optional, form is really the only deduction that can be taken, as opposed to compulsory where deductions are often taken for memorization, slightly incorrect arm positions, or something like that. People join Xcel for different reasons. Sometimes they want to do other sports or activities, need just one skill but want to do the other higher level skills, are lazy(in which case they don't move up past Bronze, so who cares about them), time constraints, or money. Xcel is often slightly less hours and slightly cheaper.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

College Gym News

Back