Parents Year round school

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

curlymomof3

Proud Parent
Do any of you have kids in year-round school? If so, how does your gym handle the summer schedule?

Dd is starting year-round school the end of July and the coaches said it would be no big deal to do morning schedule until then and switch back to evening in August. I think most parents are fine with this. There are others on year- round as well and parents who work prefer the evenings. However, one mom thinks it's annoying and it's going to mess with her "summer fun" schedule. She also happens to carpool with me and switched her daughter to a different school just so she wouldn't have to do year-round.

Am I being unreasonable to ask the coaches to change the schedule? Or should I just do privates for a couple weeks once Dd starts school? How do your gyms handle it? TIA!!

Just being nosey here, can I ask What "year round school" means ? Our smalls are in school 40 weeks of the hear split into 3 terms, how does your work ?

Sent from my CnM Touchpad 9.7 using ChalkBucket mobile app

Australia works more on a year round school basis. They have 6 weeks oh school in the Summer but for us that includes Christmas and new Year. So the kids have about a week and a half leading to Christmas, then a week leading to new year then a few weeks and back to school. So there is no culture of summer camps or anything like that.

Then the year has 4 10 week terms with a two week break in between each. I find it very preferable to a very intense school year followed by a break so long that the kids forget everything they learn.

Most gyms close for at least 3 weeks in the Summer over Christmas and New Year. It just does not work to hold classes while it is all going on and start the new year fresh in January.

Year-round school works kind of like Aussiecoach explained. The kids go for 6 weeks and then get a 3 week break, year round. There are 4 different tracks so there won't be as many kids at the school at one time. It is nice for taking vacations during the off-season but makes it difficult for summer activities.

Just being nosey here, can I ask What "year round school" means ? Our smalls are in school 40 weeks of the hear split into 3 terms, how does your work ?

Traditional schools in the states usually go to school from late August to early June, though every state has different start/stop dates. They usually have two or three 1-2 week breaks during the school year and Then they have about 10 weeks off in the summer. However, there are increasing numbers of school districts that are moving towards extended year or track-out calendars. This decreases the number of weeks off in the summer to 5 or less. Track-out calendars are when the schools rotate which classes are in school vs on break. Usually it is 3 to 1 ratio of classes in/out. The classes switch rooms each time they come back from break. Around our area, the schedule is 9 weeks on/ 3 weeks off.

Thanks, that interesting, there was talking of introducing a similar system here but there was a huge revolt by the teachers union. Plus the weather is only reasonable in summer (reputedly). She says as we prepare for going back to school after 2 weeks off for easter and I watch the rain lashing down outside.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back