WAG Yet another elite question thread..... *sigh*

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I think you need to start messaging any of us you trust and let us ask the questions you don't know enough to be aware of. The likely hood is you'll see a common consensus about how far her current gym can get her, as well as the non physical qualities that need to be a part of the child's own being for a run at elite to work out.

Don't sweat it if all she's got is a glide kip and other skills commonly seen from kids with a decent kip. It really isn't about what a child is doing now. It's more about how they do those skills with the amount and type of training they've received.

As far as the way life is when you have a child training elite..... It has to be experienced to really get what it's like. You can listen to other parents who've been through it and get different stories. One thing you can count on is that it's expensive.

Elites happen, and those who get *that* have probably seen some of that in their own child, and know it makes the entire process a whole bunch easier.

Parents of academically gifted kids often just "know" long before they get them evaluated. Our gifted resource teacher says their job is usually to confirm what parents have always known about their child. Sometimes the evaluation proves the parent wrong, but more often, it confirms their own suspicions. I would guess gymnastics may be the same way. We suspected our dd was athletically "gifted" and her coaches confirmed what we already suspected. She wasn't always the top scorer or the first to learn a skill, but we still had a feeling...if your gut says she may have the talent, and just needs the training, then I say get an evaluation and go from there.

What exactly do you look for at that level? Is it specific strength/flexibilty/body type or is it more of a "it factor"?

yes. all that. AND their muscle twitch as it relates to power. these things can be seen on video.

She turned 9 early summer and will compete either L6 or L7. This will be her third year of competition. She began at L3, skipped L4, competed L5, then tested out of L6.

As far as skills above level, I'm not sure. She had a front-front lay out that is still a little pikey and a bhs-half on floor. She is flipping tsuks from wedge mats into the pit and doing yurchenko timers up to a resi. Still needs a light spot on her kip cast hs giant giant fly away (spot pushes her away from bar). on beam she throws a bhs-bwo series and a gainer dismount.

But she had no switch leap, her jumps/leaps are below 180, and she will always have to work hard to get/keep splits.

Very strong, short, low body weight, and fearless. Always the first to try a new skill and usually the first to learn it but then takes awhile to clean it up to competition level.

So yeah, plenty of shortcomings too.

every elite gymnast from every country since the beginning of time has shortcomings or deficiencies.

now then, i though you were in Florida? Ace and Metro have elites and an elite program when they have elites.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back