WAG Yet another elite question thread..... *sigh*

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cbifoja

Proud Parent
I want to ask some questions but I dread doing so because I feel like this thread will open a rotten can of worms. So maybe by stating some things up front, I can avoid some of the drama I've seen in the past.

This question is about elite gymnastics. I understand that elite gymnastics is hard and not for everyone. I don't know if it is right for my family. I understand that it consumes the gymnast and family. I understand that some people think it is silly to move for gymnastics and some people think the sooner, the better. I am very much a "to each his own" kind of person.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that I am looking for information, data, etc., rather than opinions about whether someone should or should not do something because so and so wouldn't ever do that.

So this is my questions (1000 words in!)...... If a child wants to train for elite gymnastics, how does a parent go about deciding if that is a realistic goal for the child? I'm talking about having the gymnast evaluated for ability, body type, skills, weaknesses, and strengths If the child isn't in a gym that trains elites and isn't in a state that has an elite program, how do they dip their toes in the water and see if it is feasible? Do they go to an elite gym to be evaluated? If the current coach has made it clear they have no interest/ability in elite coaching and therefore can't be a resource, how does a parent explore the possibility? Video sent to an elite coach? Paid evaluation at an elite gym? Summer camp at an elite gym while talking to the staff about possibility?

Okay, so those are my questionS I guess! LOL

I want to ask some questions but I dread doing so because I feel like this thread will open a rotten can of worms. So maybe by stating some things up front, I can avoid some of the drama I've seen in the past.

This question is about elite gymnastics. I understand that elite gymnastics is hard and not for everyone. I don't know if it is right for my family. I understand that it consumes the gymnast and family. I understand that some people think it is silly to move for gymnastics and some people think the sooner, the better. I am very much a "to each his own" kind of person.

So I guess what I'm getting at is that I am looking for information, data, etc., rather than opinions about whether someone should or should not do something because so and so wouldn't ever do that.

So this is my questions (1000 words in!)...... If a child wants to train for elite gymnastics, how does a parent go about deciding if that is a realistic goal for the child? I'm talking about having the gymnast evaluated for ability, body type, skills, weaknesses, and strengths If the child isn't in a gym that trains elites and isn't in a state that has an elite program, how do they dip their toes in the water and see if it is feasible? Do they go to an elite gym to be evaluated? If the current coach has made it clear they have no interest/ability in elite coaching and therefore can't be a resource, how does a parent explore the possibility? Video sent to an elite coach? Paid evaluation at an elite gym? Summer camp at an elite gym while talking to the staff about possibility?

Okay, so those are my questionS I guess! LOL

post up some video. then i'll pm you.

I guess the evaluation at an gym with current elites would be my first choice. I would not expect to pay for that.

A summer camp at an gym with elites will get you nothing except a summer camp group filled with little girls the same age and level as yours who are all there for the same reason.

A video isn't really worth much unless you are talking very young girls who at high level optionals.

Not judging, and certainly we all have our "why the heck am I doing this?" moments, but just recently you posted how you can't wait for your daughter to be done with gymnastics because you were tired of how intense it is, how expensive it is, etc. Just a little "voice of reason" in your ear that attempting the elite path will be all that you've been going through already multiplied by a factor of ? (I actually have no idea, really. But many times over.) I can't tell you anything about elite gymnastics, but I do think that you need to think seriously about whether or not going down that path is right for your whole family (including you, your wallet, and your sanity) and not just if your gymmie might be able to "cut it" as an elite. We all want what's best for our children, but remember, if Mommy aint happy, aint nobody happy... and that's not good for our kids either.

Not judging, and certainly we all have our "why the heck am I doing this?" moments, but just recently you posted how you can't wait for your daughter to be done with gymnastics because you were tired of how intense it is, how expensive it is, etc. Just a little "voice of reason" in your ear that attempting the elite path will be all that you've been going through already multiplied by a factor of ? (I actually have no idea, really. But many times over.) I can't tell you anything about elite gymnastics, but I do think that you need to think seriously about whether or not going down that path is right for your whole family (including you, your wallet, and your sanity) and not just if your gymmie might be able to "cut it" as an elite. We all want what's best for our children, but remember, if Mommy aint happy, aint nobody happy... and that's not good for our kids either.

I totally get that too. I'm really just very early in the exploratory phase. My ex-husband was asking me some question based on a conversation he had with DD about her ambition and suggested that we look into what all it means. Because of this wonderful place, I have a better understanding of what it means which is one reason that I'm not all gung-ho about rushing into it.

I'm not really sure what to do, quite honestly. Somedays, I'm so sick of gym that I want to puke. While DEX doesn't contribute to cost of gym right now, he has expressed a willingness to look into contributing now that he realizes she isn't "just a cheerleader" (no disrespect to cheerleaders).

DEX and I had a long discussion where I was honest about my reservations and my concerns and he said that he thinks the logical first step is to realize if there is any reason to even think about the hard decisions. If she isn't talented enough for it, then he says the decision is made. So I get that too.

So yeah, I'm just looking for information while my head processes. I'm analytical in nature and I don't like making emotional decisions. It will also take me months and months of thinking and talking before I would even make any kind of decision regardless. (Yeah, I'm NOT fun making a major purchase with....LOL).

post up some video. then i'll pm you.

Just video of her training regular practice in the gym or meet video? And I appreciate the offer. I feel like your time is very limited so your offer is a very generous one and I want you to know that I am thankful for it.

Post the biggest tricks on each event and elite compulsory routines or parts/skills of the routines. I don't think Dunno really wants to watch JO compulsory routines. :)

Two girls left DD's old gym to go train at gyms with current elites. Girl #1 trained at 3 different gyms in our area before leaving for an elite gym. She stayed at a local gym through L10, and moved when it was clear she wanted elite. Girl #2 started her career at this gym, and left for a well known elite gym after level 8. Both of these girls competed at P&G Championships, and Girl #2 is on the Jr. national team.

So, in both of these cases, I guess it paid off. If it was my kid, I would probably lean toward going ahead and having her evaluated. You'll never know if you don't ask.....

She turned 9 early summer and will compete either L6 or L7. This will be her third year of competition. She began at L3, skipped L4, competed L5, then tested out of L6.

As far as skills above level, I'm not sure. She had a front-front lay out that is still a little pikey and a bhs-half on floor. She is flipping tsuks from wedge mats into the pit and doing yurchenko timers up to a resi. Still needs a light spot on her kip cast hs giant giant fly away (spot pushes her away from bar). on beam she throws a bhs-bwo series and a gainer dismount.

But she had no switch leap, her jumps/leaps are below 180, and she will always have to work hard to get/keep splits.

Very strong, short, low body weight, and fearless. Always the first to try a new skill and usually the first to learn it but then takes awhile to clean it up to competition level.

So yeah, plenty of shortcomings too.

Post the biggest tricks on each event and elite compulsory routines or parts/skills of the routines. I don't think Dunno really wants to watch JO compulsory routines. :)

you can 'see' plenty even looking at compulsories. don't discount them completely.

There's no elite program anywhere in your state or do you just mean nearby? What is the capability of the current coaches or any other local coaches (past experience, including their own experience)? If they've never had elites it doesn't necessarily mean they wouldn't be willing to start her on the path at this age, or that they don't have the ability to coach it. I would say the first logical step in that case would be to start in TOPs, although that should have been done this summer really due to her age. She could test as a 10 year old next year. Would you be willing to pay for her to do TOPs tests and extra camps and clinics and the like if she did stay at nearby gym?

No elites in the state. Coach was approached about TOPS a couple of years ago but told me she wasn't interested in that program. Is focused solely on JO and wants to stay that way.....which is fine.

Closest gym with elites is about 3 hours away.....may be one closer but I don't think so. I just know there aren't any in our state.

Closest gym with elites is about 3 hours away.....may be one closer but I don't think so. I just know there aren't any in our state.

I feel so fortunate.... If I get to the point that we feel we have to leave our gym, there are a half dozen gyms within an hour that can take girls elite.

DD has elite aspirations for herself, but so far we have been fortunate to get the coaching, goal setting, etc. we need at our exisitng gym. Hopefully Dunno can give you some clarity.

No elites in the state. Coach was approached about TOPS a couple of years ago but told me she wasn't interested in that program. Is focused solely on JO and wants to stay that way.....which is fine.

Are there any other nearby gyms that might be more willing to do the elite track? Unfortunately, I think pursuing this path is very difficult especially early on when the family has to move since it puts a lot of pressure on the kid before a lot is known. Waiting until the kid reaches level 10 is more of a gamble, but almost definitely the option I would pursue in your shoes.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back