WAG Yet another TOPs question -- or two

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

gymmamae

Proud Parent
I am new here and need some hand-holding ;)... Please bear with me and my basic questions.

DD (age 8) qualified for National Tops Testing. It's her first time. A few questions:
  • Any suggestions on hotels in the area? I understand that everything is far from the ranch.
  • Is she allowed to stay with me at a hotel? Pros, cons?
  • Do coaches and gymnasts have the option to stay at the ranch? Can anyone give us an idea of price? (I'm assuming that parents are not allowed to stay, right?)
  • Do they serve meals for the gymnasts (in case she doesn't stay at the ranch)?
  • Do the gymnasts do more than just testing while they're there, such as a little tour of the place, etc...
  • Any other words of wisdom you can give this rookie mom?
Thank you! This is all new to us :confused:

I would fly in, rent a car and stay in Conroe. It's about a 1/2 hour drive to the ranch. Pack a cooler with drinks and snacks. 8 year old have always tested on Saturday and Sunday, but that could always change. I would not stay on the ranch for testing. Good luck!!

When my DD did the National Testings, her coaches brought the girls and they stayed at the Ranch. My DD's head coach at the time didn't allow parents to come. The gym made all that arrangements and we just paid the bill. I would find out how your gym is handling this before I made any arrangements.

Any suggestions on hotels in the area? I understand that everything is far from the ranch Huntsville (20 mins from ranch) Conroe (25 mins getting a little more developed; a couple new hotels) and The Woodlands (40 mins but lots of restaurants and shopping. Most developed of three)
  • Is she allowed to stay with me at a hotel? Pros, cons? Yes. You are pretty much on your own for national testing. Treat it like you are going to a meet. The pros and cons are similar.
  • Do coaches and gymnasts have the option to stay at the ranch? Can anyone give us an idea of price? (I'm assuming that parents are not allowed to stay, right?) if If it is the same as previous years, coaches, the gymnast and the parent/chaperone can stay at the ranch. Food is included with the price. I cannot recall the price though I want to say it is slightly cheaper than hotels. USAG website should put up this information shortly. Note however, I recall parents complaining food was minimal and not great.
  • Do they serve meals for the gymnasts (in case she doesn't stay at the ranch)? If you are not staying at the ranch, there will be no food available to you. The testing usually goes for two days but only a half day each time. You may end up eating lunch late though.
  • Do the gymnasts do more than just testing while they're there, such as a little tour of the place, etc...Yes, all they do is test. But before and after testing, you are free to walk around the ranch. Don't forget to check out the Walk of Fame.
  • Any other words of wisdom you can give this rookie mom?Relax and have fun. Don't stress, you'll stress your kid out. Your daughter is 8. Enjoy the experience and do 't worry too much about making the team. She still has two more years to make it if she really wants it. Make sure she gets rest and eats right.
My experience is from two years ago. So they may have changed procedure. Good luck.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back