Anon Zero transparency on fees - is this normal?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

A

Anonymous (1ebe)

We're at a Powers owned gym unfortunately(iykyk). Posting this anonymously as I've heard of the Powers group kicking gymnasts out of their gyms for disagreeing with policy, and don't want this to come back on my daughter.

Are there any other gyms with zero transparency in fees. For example we will get a bill that says you owe $3,000 (made up number) for the season, and the only details we have is them saying this includes coaches fees, meet entry fees, competition leotard, warmups and bag. No further breakdown of fees at all. Obviously the coaches fees are estimated since they don't have schedules yet, and know which days they need to fly in for travel meet, how many nights at a hotel, how many meals, sessions etc.

In previous years we've gotten a refund at the end of season for over-payment of coaches fees, as those are just an estimate, vs what was actually paid out to the coaches for their hotel, airfare etc. This refund is usually a significant amount, hundreds of dollars. As of this year we've been notified that they will no longer be giving refunds to anyone anymore. So they can estimate however much they want, with zero transparency where its going, and just pocket the extra money.

Are any other gyms run like this, is there anything we can do? We have no plans on leaving, we love the coaches and I'm not hurting my daughter because I don't like the business practices of the owner.

Not the way it's done at our gym.

We get a full breakdown of estimates at the beginning of the season, then a full report on actual expenses at the end. It's a lot more work for the gym, I'm sure, but it keeps things clear for everyone.

This varies by gym. DD's former gym was very up front about providing a detailed list of the expenses but I have heard of others who do what you're describing. If it is not outrageously more expensive than previous years, with no obvious reason, then I would just let it go since you are happy with the coaching and all.

Our gym did it more vaguely. They calculated it all out and then just said what the total was. There was just a separate breakdown for floor routine choreography and monthly tuition, and then the meet fees, warm ups, comp leo, etc, were all lumped together. The gym definitely never came out ahead on coach's fees, so there wouldn't be refunds. Way more likely that they took losses on that. This year, for example, they budgeted for state to be local and then the host changed after they collected team fees so now it's a travel meet that will require hotel stays for all coaches.

It depends, are you given notice when you join for the season of what the fees will be?

In my experience with most activities like gymnastics, dance, sports etc. This is perfectly normal.

Just like anything, they set the price. Example “if you want to be on team the cost is $3000”, and the price is the price. They don’t usually tell you what everything is being spent on. Just a general idea that it will be spent in things like competition entries, coach fees, uniforms etc.

Much the same, as when you are charged training fees. It’s just XX per hour. They wouldn’t be expected to tell you how much of it goes to paying coaches, other staff wages, rent, equipment up keep and so on.

The problem would be, if you were not informed beforehand of the costs. For example if you were just told, you will pay a fee, then you signed the co tract and found out later it was $3000, after you had already signed up.

It also doesn’t seem unfair or unusual not to give a refund if coach fees were cheaper than expected. There are a lot of other expenses going into running a team, which are rarely included in the price. Like the time of the admin person who put the entries in, pays the coaches wages, orders the uniforms. The upkeep and purchase of extra equipment for the team and little things like chalk.

One of the many reasons we switched gyms is that we had to commit to pay a fee for competition season (over $3,000) 6 months before competition season started without having any idea where/when the meets would be. No schedule, no idea how many meets, how often we’d need to travel, and certainly no breakdown at all. It’s difficult to commit to something with zero information. Leotards, training, and choreography were an additional cost and charged separately.

Our fees aren’t transparent but they are specific enough that I don’t feel taken advantage of. I mean, the amount I had to pay was $xxx7.50, and didn’t feel like it was just rounded up to the closest thousand.

Last year our fees were probably a little high, because the girls ended up with an extra practice leotard in the spring.

While our coaches fees aren't specifically broken down (that is a set fee we pay in october every year thats quite reasonable...we don't do any other lump sums...fees are detailed for each event/item (whether its tuition, ballet fee, uniform cost, each individual meet fee, etc)

We pay a lump fee, I think this year it was $3,200, and that includes all meet fees (5 plus State, regional is billed seperately if you qualify), new leo kit this year, coaches travel fees, choreography, and our winter team party and team banquet. We do not get a break down of what each cost is. I do not find this bothersome, but it's inline with what we paid at our former gym where we did get more of a breakdown so that might be why.

Thanks everyone, I think I was hung up on the fact our previous owners were so transparent and gave refunds saying “it’s your money, we don’t feel right keeping the extra” and just need to come to terms with the fact that we aren’t at a small family owned gym anymore. Appreciate everyone’s experiences and opinions!

We get a breakdown of all costs, down to the cent, of entry fees, coaches fees, and equipment fees. We also get an individual statement of deposits, withdrawals and final balance. Last year we didn't get new uniforms and had no travel meets. For 4 meets and states the total was less than $2k.

In previous years we've gotten a refund at the end of season for over-payment of coaches fees, as those are just an estimate, vs what was actually paid out to the coaches for their hotel, airfare etc. This refund is usually a significant amount, hundreds of dollars. As of this year we've been notified that they will no longer be giving refunds to anyone anymore. So they can estimate however much they want, with zero transparency where its going, and just pocket the extra money.

We charge between $35 - $50 per month year round depending on level. This fee is for coaching fees... travel... and education. We do not break it down further than that. All other fees are separate and basically exactly what that cost (meet entry fees... uniform... USAG fee... etc.).

This is a relatively new way for us to do this. Last year we went over $10K negative with lower amounts of the same concept... so we increased it. If we end up with large amounts of extra money (which we are not currently)... then we could just stop charging the fee for a few months or reduce the fee for a season. However... based on the fact that some of the coaches will be working 7 days per week with significant overtime hours if they were paid hourly for meets and in-house coaching hours... we will most likely just be increasing coaching fees.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back