MAG Lack of boys classes after 5yo (seeking a gym near NYC/Nassau)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ChalkBucket may earn a commission through product links on the site.
Men's Artistic Gymnastics

mselliemayhem

Proud Parent
Hello all! My little 5yo (size of a 7-8yo) loved his intro to gym and tumbling classes, but our local gym PAC (Progressive Athletics) in New Hyde Park, NY age the boys out of gym at 5 and push them into "ninja". I have called around to several gyms in Nassau and can't find even one the takes boys over 5. it seems crazy given our proximity to NYC. Is this just the state of boys/mens gymnastics now? My father did pommel, rings, and parallel bars throughout school and I would love for my son to continue that tradition, but I am losing hope.

Hello all! My little 5yo (size of a 7-8yo) loved his intro to gym and tumbling classes, but our local gym PAC (Progressive Athletics) in New Hyde Park, NY age the boys out of gym at 5 and push them into "ninja". I have called around to several gyms in Nassau and can't find even one the takes boys over 5. it seems crazy given our proximity to NYC. Is this just the state of boys/mens gymnastics now? My father did pommel, rings, and parallel bars throughout school and I would love for my son to continue that tradition, but I am losing hope.
Chelsea Piers has a boys program. From your current gym this is about 30 minutes away and in Manhattan. Don’t know if you’re willing/able to drive that far…especially through the city. If your able though great gym and pretty good boys program looking into the higher levels.

On Long Island itself you have BK Gymnastics about 30-ish minutes from you all by car. Kieran, the owner and men's team coach, is a good friend of mine. You also have Hot Shots Gymnastics which is about 25-ish minutes and the men's team coach there Cris is also a friend. Chelsea Piers has already been mentioned above. Us men's programs still exist but we are falling victim to a coaching shortage. Lots of gyms by me used to have men's programs and still have the equipment but just don't have the staff when I talk to the owners.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back