Parents NCAA eligibility

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

nycgymmom

Coach
Proud Parent
Do you lose NCAA eligibility if you get a corporate sponsorship for travel expenses. Let's say you make it to regionals and you are able to have someone sponsor your travel and fees to get there.

Do you lose NCAA eligibility if you get a corporate sponsorship for travel expenses. Let's say you make it to regionals and you are able to have someone sponsor your travel and fees to get there.

I would think yes you would....a corporate sponsor can donate to your gym but say they donate $2000, it can't just go to you...it is supposed to be evenly distributed among all the athletes on that "team" ( which can be defined as "optionals", "competitive", "level 10" etc) and you can't "exclude" team members from the money based on whether they volunteer or whatever..

I would think yes you would....a corporate sponsor can donate to your gym but say they donate $2000, it can't just go to you...it is supposed to be evenly distributed among all the athletes on that "team" ( which can be defined as "optionals", "competitive", "level 10" etc) and you can't "exclude" team members from the money based on whether they volunteer or whatever..
Kk...so if I get 2000 it can technically go to level 10 team as long as it benefits the whole team...trying to figure things out so gonna pick your brain lol

Kk...so if I get 2000 it can technically go to level 10 team as long as it benefits the whole team...trying to figure things out so gonna pick your brain lol

Yes, it has to benefit the whole team ( as it is designated) and not just one individual gymnast. Even if you work for this company, the donation still has to be made to the "whole team" ....so say there are 100 kids on team, each kid would get a 20 buck credit versus $2000 for one gymnast ( which would be a violation) .

Yes, it has to benefit the whole team ( as it is designated) and not just one individual gymnast. Even if you work for this company, the donation still has to be made to the "whole team" ....so say there are 100 kids on team, each kid would get a 20 buck credit versus $2000 for one gymnast ( which would be a violation) .
Got it

Do you lose NC
AA eligibility if you get a corporate sponsorship for travel expenses. Let's say you make it to regionals and you are able to have someone sponsor your travel and fees to get there.

When you register your child with the NCAA Eligibility Center there are questions you must answer regarding payment for your child's participation in sports relating to travel expenses. There all kinds of very specific questions if I remember correctly-asking about any time someone other than me paid for lodging, food, transportation, apparel, entry fees, cash prizes and specifically for which events she attended. It do remember it asked if anyone had ever paid travel expenses for the athlete besides their own team or the sponsor of the event that they were attending, because this can be a little confusing if your child has gone to Nationals, or Nastia or Regional Travel (besides JOs) for meets other than with their own team. Many of these events will pay some expenses but not others in order to make sure they stay in compliance and don't jeopardize anyone's amateur status. They want you to list what your child received for each event and who paid for which expenses. I am not positive, but accepting a payment for travel from a corporate sponsor may fall under "accepting payment for playing sports"

Check here for more info:
http://www.ncaa.org/student-athletes/future/amateurism

This is not necessarily true. It does need to be used equitably. But the booster club can declare that booster funds are used for certain expenses, ie travel to regionals. This would cover all who make it to regionals, but not all gymnasts on the team.

That would fall under how you designate "team"...so say you designate it as covering " regional qualifiers", it has to benefit all of your regional qualifiers the same so no 100% coverage for Susie's expenses and only 50% for Julie's... That's what I meant about coverage of a whole "team"

Would it be questioned if only one athlete made the"team" ? So covering travel expenses for regionals or nationals but only one gymnast from the gym qualifies?

( I have no connection to this, just thinking about what ifs.)

Technically you/your kid can't get any money. Now the team can.

Reactions: sce
Our old bc used to give money to any level 10 that add it to nationals, nastia linking or got invited to the ranch. We were told this was ok because the funds were available to the entire level 10 team.

This is good to hear, as I was just wondering about that. Hopefully the way our bc does things is within NCAA rules/regs. We have been working with lawyers, and have talked to NCAA lawyers. They seemed less than concerned about the way they do things repeatedly telling us that as long as the money was not from an agent, a college booster, or a college team, they were not concerned....

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back