Parents Meet Finals with "scholarships" as awards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My daughter has a couple meets coming up that have finals and they give scholarships as awards. They basically take the top 10 of each level across all ages and they compete at another session (with another entry fee) and the top 3 of each event are given a check either mailed to their gym or home. Thankfully, we do not have to compete in finals if we don't want to. To me, the thought of a kids sport competing for money is a big turn off. But I do worry that even though coaches say it is optional that they will be disappointed if my daughter doesn't compete. I've tried to get their opinion on it, but can't really tell how they feel. What are your thoughts? Should i suck it up and go to another meet session on another day and pay another entry fee for my daughter and then another door fee for me? it just seems like a lot for a 9 year old!

For me, it would depend on what level she is, and the amount of the prize ... and if another entry fee gets her another meet gift, lol.
For compulsories, I wouldn't. For L6-7, I would have to seriously think about it. FOr L8+, I probably would if the potential prize was big enough.
I see it as a chance to be judged against the best at that meet, regardless of age.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back