WAG 2021-2029 Compulsory Program

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

What's funny about the stride circle is tiny little 2s and 3s are terrified of it and often take a year to learn it. If you take a kid who skipped 2 and 3 and therefore never learned one and ask them to try it for fun at level 5 or 6, they will get it in one try. That's why I never had kids who were optionals bound bother with L 2 & 3. It was a wasted year on bars.
Lol, my YG took 3 years and STILL couldn't get it, although she did get credit for it ONCE at a meet ... but then she fell back out of it. I think the judge was just being nice ;)

I find the proposed level 3 front hip circle directly after the back hip circles to be interesting. Seems like it would need an awkward pause between the skills. I'll have to see how it plays out.
Yes... that could be interesting... but taught correctly... it should lead to some good shoulder control and bar rhythm development.

What's funny about the stride circle is tiny little 2s and 3s are terrified of it and often take a year to learn it. If you take a kid who skipped 2 and 3 and therefore never learned one and ask them to try it for fun at level 5 or 6, they will get it in one try. That's why I never had kids who were optionals bound bother with L 2 & 3. It was a wasted year on bars.
Yes, my daughter never did compulsory, but was able to do a mill circle and a front hip "just playing around" while she was training gold.

Here is another discussion from the past about the new compulsory program...

I find the proposed level 3 front hip circle directly after the back hip circles to be interesting. Seems like it would need an awkward pause between the skills. I'll have to see how it plays out.
Tried this one in practice today with some athletes. It's really not good at all. I was definitely wrong in my last post where I said it could develop shoulder control and rhythm... this just develops a lot of wasted time.

I played with the 2 front handspring step outs to cartwheel step in back extension rolls today. I didn’t care for it. I do wonder why they got rid of the front handspring rebound and what the point of the pass is. Why not two front handsprings and then separate cartwheel step in to back extension rolol?I keep rereading it and hope that I am just reading it wrong.

View attachment 8044
this one bothers me a bit because our girls are doing gold now with the plan to test out of 4 and 5 the same day. They all have lovely full turns on beam with their arms in front of them. We have level 9/10 girls at our gym who do their full turn with their arms at their sides. What do you all think is the reasoning for this one? Or had it always been this way and I never noticed? My older DD did a full season of 5 but I can’t recall how she did the turn.

I always teach turns with arms in crown and insist upon it as a part of the learning process. Probably due to 22 years of ballet training.

But the reason I like the arms in crown is because when the girls pull their arms up, it gives the feeling of lifting up with their whole body. The action of taking the arms up to crown, mentally lifts them up instead of leaning forward or to the side.

I played with the 2 front handspring step outs to cartwheel step in back extension rolls today. I didn’t care for it. I do wonder why they got rid of the front handspring rebound and what the point of the pass is. Why not two front handsprings and then separate cartwheel step in to back extension rolol?I keep rereading it and hope that I am just reading it wrong.

Agree, the front handsprings to two feet with a rebound would be so much more progressive than the two front handspring step outs.

The flexible girls just tend to do fast front walkovers for front handspring step outs. But if they have to do the handspring to two feet, then they need to develop the lunge and shoulder block, and heel drive, which is so important for front tumbling later on.

The less flexible girls tend to put one hand in front of the other on front handspring step outs, which will develop bad habits in their tumbling later on.

Step out skills in general are less progressive, as they don’t lead to rebound tumbling. They cause the gymnasts to use one side of the body a lot more than the other, and if you do thousands of these the muscles will develop unevenly and out of alignment. And anything that lands on one foot has a higher risk of ankle and knee and hip injuries as the landing is not evenly dispersed over both feet.

I am glad these are not our requirements in Australia. Although I am sure not a fan of our requirements either, which in my opinion as very mismatched with developmental age.

Tried this one in practice today with some athletes. It's really not good at all. I was definitely wrong in my last post where I said it could develop shoulder control and rhythm... this just develops a lot of wasted time.
My kid used to do this at home for... fun? I guess. They do eventually get it really smooth with no pauses. Seems pointless though

I always teach turns with arms in crown and insist upon it as a part of the learning process. Probably due to 22 years of ballet training.

But the reason I like the arms in crown is because when the girls pull their arms up, it gives the feeling of lifting up with their whole body. The action of taking the arms up to crown, mentally lifts them up instead of leaning forward or to the side.
This is what I was looking for... my wife agrees with you as well. I'm always just looking for some logic... seems very logical.

The front handspring cartwheel back roll has logic as well... so I understand that. It will be interesting to see the videos as to how they actually want it done for no deduction though.

The back to back to front hip circles... confused on that one as I'm not seeing what the logic is behind why they want it done. What is that a future progression for? What will it help or improve with the nation as a whole? Where are we going with that one?

I'm an Xcel parent, so I have been spared most of the compulsory music.. There have been L3's at meets I've attended but I don't remember (or subconsciously blocked out?) their music. I guess I should be thankful. Creepy clown music? Surely somebody could do better than that, LOL!

The level 5 music is the worst lol :oops:
I just found it on YouTube. I apologize to anyone with ears for that monstrosity.

And I found the L3 music, which I realize I *had* burned into the back of my brain. It was bearable, though.

Reactions: SMH
I just found it on YouTube. I apologize to anyone with ears for that monstrosity.

And I found the L3 music, which I realize I *had* burned into the back of my brain. It was bearable, though.
My DD did level 3, level 4, and level 5 (and is thankfully a level 7 now) but the music is just different variations of the same thing. By level 5 it haunts you and they made the piano/harpsicord version level 5 and everyone at our gym referred to it as the "creepy clown music." This year at 2 of our meets (of the 3 we did) one of the visiting gyms had a couple of level 5s so we got to hear it even though we were a level 7 session. It was stuck in my head for DAYS!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back