Parents Advice Needed 6 Year Old

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I'm sorry to hear of how your relationship at that gym came to an end, but not sorry it ended. It sounds like you are onto a new adventure in gymnastics, at a gym that sounds like a good fit!

Good luck at the new gym, and keep in touch, we'd all love to hear about her successes!

Welcome! I was going to post to you to advise you to give the L4 team and new gym a try to make sure it was a good fit for your DD before you made your decision...but...I can see that your decision was made for you already! So sad, I saw nothing negative in your post, but I felt the frustration in your words knowing that you believe your DD (and another coach) can do level 4. She sounds talented and perhaps this was a blessing in desguise. My DD did L4 as a 6yr old and did fine without a whole heck of a lot of training before, we don't do L3 around here. I think your DD will be fine and better to move now and get settled in! Shame on the former gym for handeling themselves in that manner...not professional at all!

I hope you are really happy at the new place! DD, almost 6, switched gyms for level 2 team this year. With luck and odds are, you will feel at home there very soon.

Wow, really sorry to hear about what happened vis a vis the old gym and someone turning in your post (which, by the way, did not seem negative to me at all). I guess the gym world really is a small one and some gyms are touchy about the switching thing. Best of luck to your dd at her new gym. I'm sure she will do great at L4. She will compete as a 7yo at State due to her birthday, which is a bit tough, but I'm sure she will do great anyway. It sounds like she has loads of talent. We are in Virginia in the Tidewater area and my dd competed L4 as a 6 year old and did just fine - a bit shaky at first, but by State she was doing great. I'm sure your dd will rock L4!

Meg

Hope things work out with the new gym. That is really sad that your post was turned in to the gym by someone. Sounds like someone needs to get a life. I don't remember signing away my right to question things when my daughter joined team. There isn't much information about the confusing sport of gymnastics and sometimes the other parents aren't where you want to get your info. What is wrong with joining a forum and voicing your concerns and learning, etc? I didn't find your post at all negative, just you questioning what would be best for your daughter.

All I wanted to add was that your dd sounds very talented and with very talented young gymmies it's very important to keep them challenged and happy. Although she would of done very well as a level 3 she'd be more challenged as a level 4. My dd(6 yo) just started competing level 4 and she loves it much more than L3. It a little more challenging with longer routines and much higher expectations. She has goals to strive for and it's important for her to know she will not just win medals because she's cute but that she has to actually work for them. Good luck to your dd and let us know how it goes at the new gym!

Oh and welcome to CB!

Janelle

The current gym is huge, pits everywhere!!! 2 full size floors etc. But the coaches seem really interested in the Senior girls and not so much in the progressive younger program.

Karen

As everyone else said--coaches are the key. If you don't have a coach that's good and interested in your progress, then great equipment will get your nowhere. And might I add, I think it's very short-sighted of the coaches NOT to be looking at their younger girls--how do they expect to build the team for the future??

My DD trains in a terrible facilty with awesome coaches! IMHO coaching fit is paramount!
Good luck with your decision!

I'm here with ya. My dd also trains at a very small facility without all the extra perks, but has phenomenal coaches and an owner that backs the team and puts The Team first above all. We switched 1 1/2 yrs ago to be at this gym (coming from a gym with a wonderful facility but lacking in coaching and no owner support) and have never regretted the switch. I actually wish that we would have switched much sooner.

It's a shame that someone basically backstabbed you. I saw nothing negative in your post. Just because the advise that you recieved was directing you to leave that gym, that's not your fault. I too would have told you to leave that program, that they seemed very ho-hum about your dds development and didn't seem to really know her (what drives her) or much about what type of personality (driven by challenge or glory) she has.

I say good riddence to the old gym and whoever tried to flush you out. Good luck at the new gym and finding the perfect fit your talented dd.

Last edited by a moderator:
It is very sad that someone from the CB "ratted" on you. Shame on them! if that is the sort of people at that gym, you are better off going to a new one for sure!
Good luck to your DD in L4 and at her new gym

UPDATE to 6 year old and gym switch

:D Well, she had her first practice at new gym. 4 hours and the hardest work I've ever seen. Coaches were encouraging, strict, funny and all in all AWESOME. After the two head coaches asked her (not me) to join their team. I of course ask the Level 3 or 4 team and they laughed and said that she needs to be in 4, she'll do great, she has good form and great attitude. She was exhausted, excited and can't wait to go back.

THANKS for all the advice, it was hard but worth it. Looking forward to a GREAT year for little one.

Karen and Little One

Well, the decision is made....the gym presented me with my post when we got to the gym tonight. Someone turned me in for "badmouthing" the gym. Decision was easy after that.

In for a penny, in for a pound.

Wow--I'm surprised someone would feel it necessary to do that. Is it bad to not be totally happy with your coaches or something?? Sounds like a gym parent you don't want to associate with anyway!

Ice cream all around! Great to hear that she had such a good practice and will be competing L4 this season. Hope you hang around and let us know how she does. We may see your gym at some of the same meets. I think L4 states is down our way.

Meg

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back