Parents Advice needed

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Del2momgymnast123

Proud Parent
Hello all. I am in need of advice. The gym my daughter goes to has kept her back another year in the adv beginrs class on a wed and allowed her to "try" a 2 he Saturday. She is bored in the wed class and goofs off. There are about 11 girls in the class and are not at her level. I had to beg the owner last year to put her in older kid classes because she was so much more advanced than her age. It worked out well. Now this year we are starting in the same boat. I have to beg to have her advance. While girls that are far less advanced are getting asked into the team. I don't understand. And I am very frustrated. They have told me there are no other classes available during the week. Ok, no. I'm not dumb. But I don't want my daughter to lose her momentum. I asked the owner if we could discuss it and she wont even approach me. I've decided to call another gym to see what level she is at and where they would put her. But a piece of me feels like I'm "betraying" the gym we go to. I just don't want my daughter to get frustrated. Am I wrong?

But what really gets me is that I'm treated like the bad guy for asking for her to be moved up. Why? It doesn't make sense. And I feel like I'm the only one with this problem. There are people there that play on their phones and don't pay attention. Frustrating for sure. I was reading another thread that suggested not paying attention to other kids getting advanced but 1 that was in her group is afraid of the beam and another is afraid of the bars. It doesn't make sense to me.

You can’t betray a gym, you don’t owe them anything, especially before she’s even on team. That said, a small part of the problem *could* be that you’re too pushy for the liking of the owner/hc. That said, we don’t always see our kids objectively, so any way you cut it a quick evaluation at another gym might clarify things one way or another.

You should never feel bad for exploring other possibilities. You really don’t need to worry about gym loyalty until you get to team and then not until the optional levels. If there is a better program, go find it. It sounds to be that for whatevr reason, you are getting the brush off from your current gym. Nothing wrong with having her evaluated at another gym. At least that way you will have another opinion.

Good Luck.

It sounds like your gym has decided that, for whatever reason, they are not interested in inviting your daughter to team. Their reluctance to discuss this with you seems to indicate that they are unlikely to change their minds. I would not feel bad at all about looking into other options. You are a paying customer and need to do what is right for your child. Not every gym is a good fit for every child. My daughter went to one gym that did not think she was "team material." We switched gyms to one that "gets her" and works with her strengths and difficulties. She is a successful Level 4, will likely score out of level 5 and be doing her first year of optionals next Spring. If we had stayed at the first gym, I have no doubt that she would probably still be in Level 2 Rec.

Behavior is a factor gyms look at when deciding who to move up, esp. to team. If she is goofing off a lot, this could be an issue for the gym. Also, how is her form on the skills she does, what about her ability to listen to and apply corrections? So much goes into a decision that we can't always see. But it is also possible that a different gym will giver her a different opportunity.

It sounds like your gym has decided that, for whatever reason, they are not interested in inviting your daughter to team. Their reluctance to discuss this with you seems to indicate that they are unlikely to change their minds. I would not feel bad at all about looking into other options. You are a paying customer and need to do what is right for your child. Not every gym is a good fit for every child. My daughter went to one gym that did not think she was "team material." We switched gyms to one that "gets her" and works with her strengths and difficulties. She is a successful Level 4, will likely score out of level 5 and be doing her first year of optionals next Spring. If we had stayed at the first gym, I have no doubt that she would probably still be in Level 2 Rec.
I'm
Your advice is greatly appreciated. I see so much potential. I was starting to think that maybe I was being a psycho and she isn't that good. But I know what I see and she is really good. Your right. I am a paying customer and that was one of my concerns. I'm paying about 240.00 a month for her to learn. And she's not learning. They should be coming to me. We continued the same routine thru the summer so she wouldn't lose anything and getting back into the routine wouldn't be tough on her. You would think that showed dedication. Plus we did backhand spring boot camp and have continued in open tumbling. She is showing a want to be better.

Behavior is a factor gyms look at when deciding who to move up, esp. to team. If she is goofing off a lot, this could be an issue for the gym. Also, how is her form on the skills she does, what about her ability to listen to and apply corrections? So much goes into a decision that we can't always see. But it is also possible that a different gym will giver her a different opportunity.
They have done an awesome job at making her very technical. And some days she will definitely do things on purpose to aggravate the coaches. There were 2 coaches last year she didn't like. They were like oil and water. This year she is starting with 1 coach she loves and 2 new coaches. She is doing awesome in her Saturday class. But the Wednesday class is too slow for her.

You're paying $240 a month for a once a week class?! I really hope that is a typo because that's what I paid my daughter was going six hours a week for pre-team.
Its 240 for 2 classes a week. And they call the 1st class advanced beginner and the 2nd class is just called 2 hr. So I don't even know what level she is. I think a level 2. I looked up what they need to be able to do for each level and I don't think she is at a 3.

They have done an awesome job at making her very technical. And some days she will definitely do things on purpose to aggravate the coaches. There were 2 coaches last year she didn't like. They were like oil and water. This year she is starting with 1 coach she loves and 2 new coaches. She is doing awesome in her Saturday class. But the Wednesday class is too slow for her.

I think this is probably the main problem.

Maybe another program or coach can bring out the best in her though, so it's worth a trial. I agree especially before team you don't really owe a gym anything. But do keep in mind that when on team the behavior and focus expectations are going to be high, and in most gyms kids will be removed or moved over to lower level programs if they are disruptive. This is for safety and group cohesiveness reasons at the level that team programs operate at.

Dffinately give some other gyms a call if you are interested in pursuing competitive gymnastics and moving her from recreational classes. Gyms have different criteria’s for the gymnasts they want in their competitive teams and selections are made in different ways at each gym. Usually at our gym they take children from age 5 and move them into a development squad training two hours twice a week. We rarely take children in who are 7 or older to develope them unless there super flexible, strong , talented or motivated. If we get a recreational gymnast who is 8 wanting to join a competitive program it’s extremely hard to if they haven’t spent previous years developing their body specifically for the sport. As we compete them in level 3 by the time they are 8. We keep it young as if an injury or when puberty occurs we have a few years up our sleeve to help re develope their bodies. I know other gyms take on older girls for team gym and that but our gym doesn’t focus on this as our advanced rec program the children learn the same skills and earn awards within their classes which ultimately means parents don’t have to fork out the money for comps leotards travel and all that and the kids are just as happy. Have a look at other gyms round your area or other gymnastic avenues if you feel like your dd isn’t getting to her full potential.

Yes, definitely call other gyms and do that as soon as possible. Stop wasting your time and money on a gym that clearly is not interested in your daughter. There are plenty of gyms out there that will be happy to have her on their pre-team\team.

Reactions: sce

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back