Anyone watching beam final?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Were inquiries always so common? I remember when it happened for Aly for the 2012 beam event finals, it seemed like such a huge deal with Bela standing up and shouting to Mihai and Mihai running around. But there were quite a few inquiries during today's beam EF.

But I also remember the whole issue with Paul Hamm winning the gold AA in 2004 and the Korean gymnast who got bronze had an incorrect start value on an event, and would have won gold had he been given the correct start value. But the protest wasn't filed until days later, and it was determined that the start value was incorrect, but the final results remained the same. After that, I think I'd rather always file an inquiry and be safe, rather than figure out after the fact that there was a mistake and realize that not filing an inquiry cost you the gold medal.

Were inquiries always so common? I remember when it happened for Aly for the 2012 beam event finals, it seemed like such a huge deal with Bela standing up and shouting to Mihai and Mihai running around. But there were quite a few inquiries during today's beam EF.

But I also remember the whole issue with Paul Hamm winning the gold AA in 2004 and the Korean gymnast who got bronze had an incorrect start value on an event, and would have won gold had he been given the correct start value. But the protest wasn't filed until days later, and it was determined that the start value was incorrect, but the final results remained the same. After that, I think I'd rather always file an inquiry and be safe, rather than figure out after the fact that there was a mistake and realize that not filing an inquiry cost you the gold medal.

I don't know if it was the same then, but now you have to file the inquiry before the score is given for the next competitor. That's really not much time to analyze and decide if it's warranted. I can see erring on the side of filing.

I did read that it is deliberate by the dutch- they know they cannot compete with tumbling difficulty, so they elected to utilise turns and spins to increase dd.

Same on floor, and for all the dutch gymnasts, not just sanne.

While it's nice that the Dutch can utilise their turns and spins to up their D scores and create a lovely eye pleasing routine, I thought Sanne's dismount was a little lame for an Olympic routine...I don't like when I see the gainer off the end done in NCAA after a jam packed routine (or any routine) but for the Olympics, I'm expecting more...

I just watched it again. The hug between Aimee and Simone when she realized she medaled was sweet. Then watching Simone quickly change from warm up pants to podium pants was funny.

This may not be popular, but I think when a nation as dominant as ours files inquiries to try and turn our silver medals into golds, it just makes us look spoiled. I didn't like it when we did it for Aly in 2012 beam, and it bugged me when we did it for Laurie today. I wonder what they thought they saw or where they thought she was ripped off. The beam scores took like forever to post, so I really doubt the judges weren't being diligent when they came up w/ the scores.

The whole inquiry thing is also an advantage skewed more towards those who go late in the rotation (along w/ knowing which score you need to beat).

I don't think it makes us look spoiled. Many other nations do this as well. Laurie's inquiry wasn't the only one today if I remember correctly.

You are right that it benefits those that go later in the rotation though, when they already are at an advantage IMO.

This may not be popular, but I think when a nation as dominant as ours files inquiries to try and turn our silver medals into golds, it just makes us look spoiled. I didn't like it when we did it for Aly in 2012 beam, and it bugged me when we did it for Laurie today. I wonder what they thought they saw or where they thought she was ripped off. The beam scores took like forever to post, so I really doubt the judges weren't being diligent when they came up w/ the scores.

The whole inquiry thing is also an advantage skewed more towards those who go late in the rotation (along w/ knowing which score you need to beat).
I think it's quite fair if you legitimately think the judges did not give you credit for all your elements and connections. Why would you not file an inquiry?

Exactly. It is ridiculous not to file an inquiry if you think the judges gave you the wrong d value.

I see no problem with filing an inquiry. There have been many inquiries filed this Olympics and in comparison to some, I think the US has not filed nearly as many. In that position I would have filed too. I thought Laurie's beam was better than it was in qualifying or team final and the score was lower. I know it can be subjective but when she and the gold were separated by such a tiny margin, I don't blame them for wanting to be sure. I don't think just b/c the US is more dominant in this particular sport at this particular time, that they should be looked down upon for filing an inquiry any more than any other country .

).

I so agree. Aly also protested a score earlier, was it in AA or team final? It looks churlish. I think a lot of connections on beam don't fulfil the requirements. I think it is annoying to protest them just in case. Respect the judges and let them do their professional job. Go home to your gym and improve your work.

I so agree. Aly also protested a score earlier, was it in AA or team final? It looks churlish. I think a lot of connections on beam don't fulfil the requirements. I think it is annoying to protest them just in case. Respect the judges and let them do their professional job. Go home to your gym and improve your work.

It's not a protest, it's just asking to please double-check that you included all her difficulty and bonus and did the math correctly. That's not a protest, and it's not from the gymnast, it's from the coach, and it isn't about if the gymnast performed well. 'm annoyed by it being called a protest, and implying that if the gymnast wasn't happy with her score, she needs to work harder. The coach just wants the math checked.

In the 2012 beam finals Aly went last, or close to last, and her score came in either 4th or tied for 3rd w/ Catalina Ponor's of Romania (who had went much earlier in the rotation). Bella hurried up and filed an inquiry on the floor and the result was the judges changing Aly's D score and thus giving Aly the bronze and no medal for Catalina.

I think they were hoping the same thing as described above would happen today - judges would change Laurie's score upwards so she'd get gold and Wevers of Netherlands would get silver instead.

In the 2012 beam finals Aly went last, or close to last, and her score came in either 4th or tied for 3rd w/ Catalina Ponor's of Romania (who had went much earlier in the rotation). Bella hurried up and filed an inquiry on the floor and the result was the judges changing Aly's D score and thus giving Aly the bronze and no medal for Catalina.

It moved her from 4th to tied for 3rd and in that case she won the tiebreaker and was awarded the bronze. I remember since she lost the bronze medal tiebreaker in the AA. But, we the case of the 2012 beam, it was an error in calculating her D score and she won the inquiry.

I think they were hoping the same thing as described above would happen today - judges would change Laurie's score upwards so she'd get gold and Wevers of Netherlands would get silver instead.

I don't know if they were hoping for gold or hoping for a bit more to help solidify her silver spot (with 2 more competitors to go). An inquiry was also filled on behalf of Boyer. Hers was denied as well.

Yeah, Boyer girl coaches were hoping her score would be changed and she'd knock Simone off and get her bronze - I thought that was kind of desperate as well, but then I figured France isn't going to win more than a half dozen women's gymnastics medals at this Olympics like this USA is...;/.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back