Parents Region 4 State Qualifying scores for regionals

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

shania2699

Proud Parent
We had our State Gymnastics competition today. My daughter is a Level 8 IES. She was given a score of 8.9 on beam. Looking at her score card, one judge gave her a 9.0 and the other judge gave her a 8.4. Regional qualifying score is 9.0 for Level 8 IES. LEVEL 9-10 regional qualifying score for IES is 8.5. Not sure why it's not the same across the board. Our coach asked the referee her score could be raised based on the judges scores but was told that they weren't doing that for IES at State.

Anyone experience anything like this before? Anyone think contacting Region 4 would do any good to see if there's any way she could still go to regionals based on thr 9.0 she received from one of the judges on Beam?

It's not the same for levels 8, 9, and 10, likely because there are more level 8s than 9s and 10s, and because it is more difficult to get higher scores in the higher levels. The state qualifying scores do tend to decrease as the levels go up.

I don't think it would do any good to contact region 4, as a 9 from one judge isn't really how scoring works. If you watch college gymnastics, for example, a 10 from one judge isn't enough for it to be a 10. It has to be both judges. However, I am confused on why a 9 and an 8.4 equals an 8.9 - usually the scores are averaged so I'm getting 8.7.

It's not the same for levels 8, 9, and 10, likely because there are more level 8s than 9s and 10s, and because it is more difficult to get higher scores in the higher levels. The state qualifying scores do tend to decrease as the levels go up.

I don't think it would do any good to contact region 4, as a 9 from one judge isn't really how scoring works. If you watch college gymnastics, for example, a 10 from one judge isn't enough for it to be a 10. It has to be both judges. However, I am confused on why a 9 and an 8.4 equals an 8.9 - usually the scores are averaged so I'm getting 8.7.
My mistake, it was an 8.8 and a 9.0. I remembered the score incorrectly

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back