WAG Back Walkovers - Hurting Back!!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymSurvivor

Coach
Gymnast
Hello, so I was going to compete level 6 this year but decided against it to compete level 5 and have a good season. So I've been uptraining level 6 skills as this is my second year in level 5.

However, back walkovers hurt my back SOOO much!! It's my lower back to my left side. I used to be able to do at least 5 before the pain got to be to much. Now it hurts soo much to do even one, especially on beam as I can kind of whip one around on floor verse I need to concentrate more on beam to land them etc...

First of all, I'm not asking for medical advice, I've been to a doctor and chiropractor. Apparently my tail bone slips out of place when I do them and that causes the pain. According to them there isn't much to be done about this.

So my real question is level 6 next year (which will be called level 5) says you can do a back handspring step-out in the beam routine. Would it be okay to never learn a back walkover on beam and just skip to the back handspring? (Mind you I've tried back ext. rolls on beam and ugh, didn't go well) Thinking ahead to optionals, I could do cartwheel swing through to round-off and back handspring step out in the routine, mind you I do not see myself getting any farther than level 7 (the current level 7, not sure what the optional levels look like next year) As I am 19 years old and just do this for fun!!

As a coach, what do you think of this

give your back a break for as long as you can. when I couldn't get my walkover on beam, I skipped it out in the meet, although I got a point deduction, I still competed my routine without falling off, which I was proud of. Also, if u go for your walkover, then your feet miss the beam, you'll lose a mark for falling off AND your start value will be down. just give your back a rest x

Perfectly fine with BHS SO instead of BWO. It's much easier on the back. Just trickier to learn.

Had a friend who said after she broke something in her back, she was able to compete BHS-SO but never BWO as a L8.

The fact that the pain originates where the hip and lower back connect means there is probably something going in that area. Very common in lots of athletes, especially within sports that favor one side.

I totally agree with you BlairBob, and have had some girls learn their bhs more quickly, and better, than their back walkover. I'll guarantee you this much...I'd never try a bwo on any beam, but have done a few bhs on floor beam over the years.....just none lately:D

I completely agree with kipping the BWO. Actually, I really do not agree with making everyone do BWOs on beam. It just takes quite a lot more flexibility than a BWO on the floor and I've seen way too many girls have backpain because of them.
So yeah, skip them. Be careful. Especially at your age (I'm 25 and still competing, btw) you're at a point were you should just stop doing moves which your body doesn't seem to be "made for" and enjoy the sport for what it is.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back