Parents Backhandspring progress

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Ariekannairb

Proud Parent
My daughter basically was allowed at our previous gym to teach herself her BHS. When I finally learned enough about gymnastics to know this was not a good thing and for various other reasons we changed gyms. This gym is working on fixing her BHS. It could be the most painfully slow thing I have ever watched LOL. She is staying 10 minutes after team practice and then going in 1 time per week in a beginner tumbling class (she can do the BHSBHS but it is SO ugly and I have my doubts as to if she could connect anything to it since she loses so much momentum). The coaches are doing a fantastic job with really being hands on with her and helping her correct some terrible habits and there is major improvement over time, but oh my goodness I can totally understand why a coach would rather teach it from scratch than correct a bad tumbler. I am told it is a matter of muscle memory and just getting into good habits as she can do it, it is just very inconsistent. Anyways, I am finding watching that far more painful than watching her try to get her kip LOL

No real reason for this post other than to get it out.

It's great that they are working with her to get it fixed. Totally understand how the slow progress could be very hard to watch though.

I understand your frustration. I changed gyms too in the middle of season this year and my dd had just gotten her bhs and it was ugly!!!! If its any condolences, my dd finally did get much better and yours will too!!! I bet she will get her kip too!!! Good luck to you and her.
:)

I have no doubt :) I think gymnastics is a great lesson in patience for both mom and the gymnast :) I can't say it isn't difficult for me to sit and watch her work so hard and the progress be SO slow, but I know that she is learning a great lesson in perseverance :)

We went through this with my daughter when she was younger! She taught herself a super ugly bhs on our trampoline at home when she was like 4 or 5.. but she didn't have a good one on the floor until she was 9! Now the struggle is trying to move it off the low beam and up onto higher beams, it never ends ;)

youngest dd's group have begun to learn back handsprings, it is a slow process that has taken a few months (they don't always work on them), they started off by what I call jumping backwards on a crash mat of various heights and slowly progressed to spotted back handsprings on the crash mat either landing on their feet or fronts, they have now progressed to doing them on a fast track after doing a few round off's, they do one at the end of the fast track on to a crash mat landing on their fronts (still spotted).

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back