Parents booster club fees--what is the norm?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mommyof1

Proud Parent
So I was just informed that the hefty booster club fee I will be paying next year (several hundred dollars on up, depending on level) does NOT cover meet entry fees or coaches' meet fees and travel expenses, as I had believed. These are charged separately, as are uniform expenses. I cannot get any information on what this general booster club fee does include other than a vague mention of "equipment," which seems to me as if it ought to be covered in the tuition since the gym, not the booster club, owns the equipment. Is it normal for booster clubs to charge fees above and beyond competition expenses? And is there any legal requirement for a nonprofit booster club to open its books to members?

I can't answer all of your questions, but yes, the financials should be open. Transparency is key when running a non-profit. All of our meetings, votes, financials, everything are available for any member, any time.

We don't pay booster fees, so I have no idea how that works!

Run, as fast as you can. The owners are charging for the equipment through booster club and aren't supposed to be doing it. The only thing booster club is supposed to cover, is directly for the gymnast and sometimes, travel also for direct families. And yes, the books should be open for anyone/everyone to see.

If the booster club is a non-profit, the books HAVE to be open for anyone to review, if they want. If they aren't, then they could have their non-profit status revoked. I'd be asking more questions about that hefty fee--the booster club also can't legally pay for equipment for the club!

We have booster fees. $500 was the amount last year. But that covers all meet fees, coaches expenses, Leo's and warm ups. Well that amount doesn't cover the full amount that all costs but the fundraising we do covers anything that $500 doesn't. I would run the other way if I was you. What good is a booster club that doesn't help families with the financial aspect of the sport?

Huge RED flag there!!! I cannot come up with any reason a booster should charge that much $ if it doesn't cover anything. Our booster club membership fee is $15.....that goes to the general fund. We usually hold a summer party for the girls. Last year our general fund bought a vending machine for year round fundraising. We did want to buy a beam but were told that it was against non-profit rules.

If its a genuine non-profit booster club (501-C3) then all contributions are tax deductible, and all contributions must be split between all members or "benefit" all members. No money can be used to benefit the gym itself - such as equipment, etc. Books must be open. comp fund stuff can be paid "through" the booster club (ie meet fees, coaches fees, warm ups etc) but not TO the booster club - as in members may personally donate $500 a year - and then that 500 dollars can be paid to the team comp fund/or meet fees, etc...BUT your $500 go to the booster club and each member gets their percentage - money can't be earmarked for individual kids...unless you vote as a booster club to pay Suzy's fees for Nationals, etc.

If its done right it can "feel" like you are paying $500 to your kids meet fees - but you are NOT and its a big point legally - because if another member doesn't contribute their $500 - the booster can't make them - there can be NO fees required. Your contribution, just like any money you help raise, has to go to ALL members.

If its done "wrong" its a big disaster legally, financially and inter-personally - it goes over very badly at one of my kids gyms when the booster "raises money for summer camps" which only certain families will attend no matter what....versus when money is raised to "off-set comp funds" that have been calculated for each and every team member to include all meet fees, coach fees, etc.

If the booster club is not a non-profit and not tax deductible I think they can do whatever they want - but the gym itself can be liable if equipment, etc is involved.

This is not specific to gymnastics, its specific to non-profits - my kids are involved in several other activities and I have been part of setting up several different strategies....so I do not speak only of opinion, but experience.

it goes over very badly at one of my kids gyms when the booster "raises money for summer camps" which only certain families will attend no matter what....versus when money is raised to "off-set comp funds" that have been calculated for each and every team member to include all meet fees, coach fees, etc.

I actually spoke to someone at the IRS about this very issue. The gentleman assured me that we as a booster club could raise money for camps as long as all team members were eligible to go. So if we go to FlipFest, we have to open it up to all team gymnasts that are eligible to go to FlipFest. But we cannot fundraise if we say that only optional gymnasts can go.

Obviously for us, only the parents who opted to go to camp participated in fundraising and we could only distribute the money specifically raised for camp. We did not dip into the general fund because as a booster club, we voted not to do that.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back