Can you "teach" presentation skills?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I definately agree that it can be taught BUT the coach has to take the time to teach it.
Like with everything, teach it right from the beginning and it will come naturally later on.
I spend a lot of time with little gymnasts, teaching them to lift their heads up, pull their shoulders back, pretty hands, pointed feet etc. It is annoying and some get it straight away, others take an age, but in the end, they all get it but only with constant 'picking' from the coach!

Sure, there is more to presentation than the above, but that is the starting point for me. As long as the gymnast can take the advice and wants to improve you can teach presentation!

Of course "presentation" can be taught..........presentation is performance and that is "big bucks" to theatre schools, drama coaches, etc.

Gymnastics coaches need to start working on all the little things right at the beginning and the presentation aspect will develop as the skills do. Just as some kids have to work harder at 1 event or at some skills - some kids have to work harder at presentation.

I think presentation skills have a lot to do with confidence. My DD also needs to work on her presentation skills, but as she has become more confident in herself, the presentation skills have improved. She tends to be shy and not "showy" which makes for a sweet girl, but not as high as could be scores. I also think meet experience helps. The more meets they do; the more confident and comfortable they become. When they are more confident, the real child shines through.:)

I agree with what Claire just said, I believe a lot has to do with confidence. I always told my dd since she was in the compulsory levels that when you walk out on that floor you act like you are the best one there. You hold your head up and if you make a mistake, you keep on going. And as others have said your fake it till you make it.

I can say now that when my dd walks out on that floor she does believe that she is the best. She sells her routine and that is what it is all about. She believes in herself and it shows to everyone watching, including the judges.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back