WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Question for parents: Do your kids know about this? How did you decide whether to tell them? How old, and are they involved with the camp system?

She gets very upset by this type of thing and I think the information would be more traumatic than useful to her at this point. She is 11 and has no involvement with TOPS/HOPES/etc.

My DD is 8, not involved in TOPS. Like you, I was hesitant to tell her, but all of these brave women and their stories helped me find a way that was age appropriate to her and started to lay the groundwork for continued conversation.

The stats on sexual abuse of kids in general (not just gymnastics) is higher than I realized, and I feel compelled to start to educate my children on this. They number of girls that said it felt wrong but they didn’t feel like they should say something really got to me. And I decided that thinking I was protecting her by NOT telling her was a short term view. And I decided I needed to take a longer view because I think not telling them puts them at too great of risk.

My DD doesn’t know how big this is — but she knows about Aly. If you haven’t read or seen Aly’s section in her book that talks about this, I would start there. It helped me figure out how to talked about it in an age appropriate way. It was way easier than I thought, and her reaction was way better than I thought.

I haven’t told her about Maggie and Simone yet (she looks up to both), but I will.

My DS (11), completely not athletic, got a different talk about sexual abuse (and bullying), but still got a talk.

Question for parents: Do your kids know about this? How did you decide whether to tell them? How old, and are they involved with the camp system?

As far as I know my kid is not aware of this case, although she recently got web access so it's probably only a matter of time. We have talked with her about other, more local scandals that have broken with teachers and sports coaches, and we talk about safety precautions fairly frequently, but somehow I just can't bring myself to tell her about this one. She gets very upset by this type of thing and I think the information would be more traumatic than useful to her at this point. She is 11 and has no involvement with TOPS/HOPES/etc.
My kids are 13yo and 16yo. I did talk to them about the situation. Neither are in the camp system (well one is not a female gymnast) but it has spurred good conversation about how someone with power can prey on others.

My DD is 7. I have talked to her about it to some degree. She idolizes Aly and Simone, and I told her that even her heroes, who are more than 10 years older than her can be tricked by people who don’t “look like a bad guy”and to always speak up if anyone touches her in a way that makes her uncomfortable.

Unfortunately I was faced with this topic early in her gymnastics journey, as she was 3 years old at her first gym when one of her coaches was arrested (and later convicted) of sexually abusing several gymnasts. She couldn’t understand at 3 and we immediately switched gyms, but at 7 I feel she is old enough to understand the basics of consent and the importance of speaking up if anyone, even someone we respect and trust, makes her feel uncomfortable.

As if there were not enough shocking things about this case - I have just read in McKayla Maroney's victim impact statement that Nassar did not actually hold a license to practice medicine in Texas yet was allowed to perform medical treatments at the ranch. Did no-one at USAG every carry out very, very basic due diligence that the "team doctor" was licensed in the state where most team treatments were performed:mad::mad::mad:
Nassar was not even licensed to practice medicine in Texas, yet he “treated” and abused girls at the Karolyi Ranch Olympic Training Center in Huntsville, Texas for more than 15 years.
https://www.scribd.com/document/366590076/Victim-Statement-Final-McKayla-Maroney

Am I right to assume that if he was unlicensed that he likely had no malpractice insurance for treating patients at the ranch?

I posted this on a private group where there is discussion about closing the ranch, might as well post it here too.

Do remember that this is not the first time that abuse has taken place at the ranch. Dominique Moceanu, and other older gymnasts have talked about abuse at the hands of other coaches, including Bela Korolyi, this is why he had to stop coaching. But he remained around the ranch of course. This is why some of us old timers persist in believing the ranch has become a place of abuse for little girls.

In the past many girls have quit elite, have had terrible camps etc Will we ever know if this was because of abuse? It is clear he touched many more girls than are testifying. But I know for sure way too many girls were victims at the ranch, that is not okay.

USAG made it plain, that for the right people, they avert their eyes to following protocols that were already in place to protect the gymnasts. This has also historically been the case.

This is not about making your kids stronger either, this is about a very gifted sociopath. These people have skills that surpass the petty criminal. When you listen to the strong women testifying, and how he abused them, you soon see the depths of his depraved genius.

USAG needs to modernise, run their camps with much more clarity than the ranch will ever afford. Plus can you really believe that it is fair to force abused children to train at the scene of the crime?

I have definitely tried to be level headed about this, but after two days of listening to the heart wrenching stories of abuse, I can no longer be level. Nassar was a monster, but people who surrounded him, and disbelieved the girls, enabled him to continue way past when it should have been stopped. This includes current NTTC staff. Yes. they are good people, but good people who believed the abuser, not the abused.

Last edited:
It baffles me that girl after girl did tell on him. He was reported numerous times to a wide array of adults in these children's lives. Yet time after time people did not believe the child. Children don't make stuff like this up.......

Nassar did not actually hold a license to practice medicine in Texas yet was allowed to perform medical treatments at the ranch
Oh, wow. I guess I just sort of assumed if you were licenced in one state, all states recognized that license. If that isn't the case... How does this affect any national (US Classic, etc.) or international (worlds, olympics, Jesolo) incidents?

...wonder how USAG will try to wriggle out of this one

Yet time after time people did not believe the child. Children don't make stuff like this up.......
Abusers don't just groom their victims, they groom the victim's families and other adults that could protect the child.

I've read stories (one of them from one of Nassar's victims) where the victim is forced to apologize for the "lies" he/she is telling about the abuse.

Abusers don't just groom their victims, they groom the victim's families and other adults that could protect the child.

So very true and one of the reasons why I’ve been watching some of the live streaming, for me as a youth work to remind myself that children’s voices must be listened to regardless how well respected the perpetrator is or how well you get along/like them and watching some of the testimonies is a very vivid reminder.

Side note: I couldn't imagine being a defense lawyer in a case like this (or really any case when you know the defendant is 1000000% guilty for such heinous acts). Tough position.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back