WAG Discussion of abuse in USAG - Nassar

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

As difficult as they are to watch, I hope these victim impact statement videos are being archived and categorized for referencing.
So much that has seemed hidden in the past is now being exposed - in rapid succession.

These statements are so critically important to help understand how this happened, how to prevent anything like this in the future, and how to support the victims.
We need to learn from this.

I want my daughter to hear and see Lindsey Lemke's powerful survivor speech.
The triumphant tone in her voice, as she described her personal victory over the abuse, gave me goosebumps.

Jamie Dantzscher's statement this morning included a very blunt description of the culture at the ranch.

So many significant, profound moments over the past 3 days.
Let's not lose them.

Has this already been posted? Interesting part about where a gymnast walked "down memory lane" discussing her coach who was young..pushed the limits...screaming...How all these girls wanted to do was please him. There seems to be a culture...not in all gyms, but in this sport that perhaps needs "revamped" to say the least. I have an opinion that the athletes AND the parents feel like this is simply the way it is to be amazing. The more screaming/abuse/pushing through an injury a kid does...somehow the more "committed" they are and are perhaps on a path to greatness. But, that is just my opinion. I know there are plenty of great examples of this not being the case. It's just something I've personally seen, and am not proud to say have even almost bought into.
http://wlns.com/2018/01/16/owner-of-popular-twistars-gymnastics-club-faces-abuse-allegations/

Yes there is a thread all about Geddert.

As difficult as they are to watch, I hope these victim impact statement videos are being archived and categorized for referencing.
So much that has seemed hidden in the past is now being exposed - in rapid succession.

These statements are so critically important to help understand how this happened, how to prevent anything like this in the future, and how to support the victims.

The triumphant tone in her voice, as she described her personal victory over the abuse, gave me goosebumps.

Jamie Dantzscher's statement this morning included a very blunt description of the culture at the ranch.

Let's not lose them.

This.

I just watched the clip of the judge addressing Nassar's complaint. She quoted from his letter, where he said that she was having him sit in the witness box (next to her) so that the cameras would be on her the entire time. In what way did he think that saying this was going to help him????

His attorney looked like she was ready to kill him.

The entire court gasped when she read that bit...unbelieveable

Let's not lose them.

Agreed. For too long these young women were silenced and not believed. I am so grateful that they have this voice now. It is important that we honor their courage by listening and CHANGING.

I’m a coach, but I’m also still a competitive athlete and understand the importance of having a good medical staff. What I don’t understand is he didn’t even seem to be helping any of these athletes get better, so WHY would USAG or MSU feel the need to keep him around?

I am by no means coaching future elite athletes, but if any of them get injured I make sure that they go to a doctor, PT, chiropractor, etc who will HELP THEM GET BETTER. Nassar was clearly NOT helping them, so why would these institutions whose goal is to win medals keep him on as their primary medical staff? I don’t get it. (Yes, I realize a lot of it is someone who knows someone, who has some pull who vouches for him, etc).

just posted on USAG's facebook:

Please attribute to Kerry Perry, president and CEO

“USA Gymnastics has terminated its agreement with the Karolyi Ranch in Huntsville, Texas. It will no longer serve as the USA Gymnastics National Team Training Center.

“It has been my intent to terminate this agreement since I began as president and CEO in December. Our most important priority is our athletes, and their training environment must reflect this. We are committed to a culture that empowers and supports our athletes.

“We have cancelled next week’s training camp for the U.S. Women’s National Team. We are exploring alternative sites to host training activities and camps until a permanent location is determined. We thank all those in the gymnastics community assisting in these efforts.”

I’m a coach, but I’m also still a competitive athlete and understand the importance of having a good medical staff. What I don’t understand is he didn’t even seem to be helping any of these athletes get better, so WHY would USAG or MSU feel the need to keep him around?

I am by no means coaching future elite athletes, but if any of them get injured I make sure that they go to a doctor, PT, chiropractor, etc who will HELP THEM GET BETTER. Nassar was clearly NOT helping them, so why would these institutions whose goal is to win medals keep him on as their primary medical staff? I don’t get it. (Yes, I realize a lot of it is someone who knows someone, who has some pull who vouches for him, etc).

If I'm understanding correctly, he did help lots of people get better as well. There have been many athletes who credited him with saving their careers. I think the fact that he actually did have a lot of talent and expertise was what helped elevate him to such a high status. Which he then used to do shady things which no one questioned or believed I guess.

Actually, I think he was actually really good at actual treatment, as well as designing rehab and prehab exercises. This is just one of the things that allowed him to continue in his positions for so long. Many, many athletes have credited his techniques for helping them overcome injuries (before they realized they were abused). This probably provided the perfect cover for him to do all of the abuse. It appears he did both legitimate treatment AND abuse. In addition, he had so many other doctors, healthcare professionals, coaches, athletic trainers, etc groomed and fooled as well. They would refer athletes to him and they would get better, so they sent more athletes to him, and the cycle continued. A depraved genius, but a genius none the less. Unbelievable that he chose to use his giftedness to hurt instead of to help.

Kerry J. Perry just announced the Ranch is being terminated as the training site. I wonder if they felt pressured to do so after Simone's statement.
Yep just came over on my Facebook feed

Oh, wow. I guess I just sort of assumed if you were licenced in one state, all states recognized that license. If that isn't the case... How does this affect any national (US Classic, etc.) or international (worlds, olympics, Jesolo) incidents?

...wonder how USAG will try to wriggle out of this one

In the US Physician licensure is on a state by state basis with some exceptions for federal facilities (like VAMC, IHS, etc) where any state license can be used.

Some states do grant temporary licenses, volunteer licenses, and or camp licenses and it is possible that Nassar had something like that during his time at the ranch. It is also possible that USAG somehow overlooked this entirely.

So disheartened by reading the comments on this article. Idiots victim blaming and parent blaming... I had to stop.
Https://sports.yahoo.com/mckayla-ma...-bare-court-front-larry-nassar-181807055.html

I should know better than to read comments that originate "in the wild" (as opposed to a forum like this)

It’s unbelievable the amount of ignorance people still have about this case, if in “Gymnastics” groups on Facebook. I know lack of media attention until now has not helped, but still, if you have a gymnast in you house, educate yourself. Plenty of good articles with solid facts out there.

One of the parents in a Facebook group whose daughter is at Twistars made the statement, “I just have a hard time believing any of that about John.” That statement from many probably allowed Nassar to abuse so many for as long as he did. Girlfriend needs to listen to Lindsey Lemke and do a little research!

It’s unbelievable the amount of ignorance people still have about this case, if in “Gymnastics” groups on Facebook. I know lack of media attention until now has not helped, but still, if you have a gymnast in you house, educate yourself. Plenty of good articles with solid facts out there.

One of the parents in a Facebook group whose daughter is at Twistars made the statement, “I just have a hard time believing any of that about John.” That statement from many probably allowed Nassar to abuse so many for as long as he did. Girlfriend needs to listen to Lindsey Lemke and do a little research!

I'm not in any of those groups, but this is more clear evidence that parents MUST be part of the cultural change that needs to happen.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back