WAG Do Artistic Gymnasts ever do Acro and Tumbling in college?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

cadybearsmommy

Proud Parent
I just noticed something exciting yesterday and of course now I have some questions. The college I graduated from has recently added an Acro and Tumbling team...which was news to me until I saw it browsing on their website last night. They are Div 2. Was wondering, is it common for artistic gymnasts to pursue this in college? Or do they recruit more from the cheerleading side? Is there any kind of scholarship for this, or is it just more for fun?

Just wondering as my dd has always said she would love to do some kind of gymnastics at the college level, even if it was just club gymnastics, and was wondering if this might be a good option for kids like her who are decent gymnasts but are probably not going to be recruited for artistic gymnastics with the fierce competition for those scholarships....it's all very far away at this point and she could likely change her mind about wanting to continue any sort of gymnastics in college, but was just curious as I don't know a lot about the program...thanks!

one of the former level 10 gymnast from our club received a scholarship for the acro-tumbling team at University of Oregon.. apparently they are one of the powerhouse programs...

they also recruit athletes from variety of other sports...

one of the former level 10 gymnast from our club received a scholarship for the acro-tumbling team at University of Oregon.. apparently they are one of the powerhouse programs...

they also recruit athletes from variety of other sports...

That's great, it seems like one of the best things about gymnastics is that they often excel in other sports as well. We know a girl who was a gymnast and got a full scholarship to a division 1 rowing team! All of her upper body strength came in handy!

It is a varsity sport. They offer scholarships. Right now, Oregon and Baylor are the top dogs in the sport. There was a post about it in the T&T forum a while back. I don't have the link but you may be able to find it. It was about tumbling in college.

3 of 4 of the graduating seniors from my kiddos old gym (JO level 9 and 10) in Texas signed on to acro/tumbling teams, with scholarships. They've also had a few go to the program at Baylor in the past.

One of our level 9s just committed to a school for Acro and Tumbling. She had pursued gymnastics, but decided that wasn't going to work. About a month into the season, she got an email from a new program asking her to come and visit. So followed up on it and will head there in the fall!

One of our coaches was a former artistic gymnast and rec coach who went away to an acro team at a DII school. But after her freshman year, she transferred back home to a local college (DI, and no gym or acro) and resumed coaching. But when she came back, she coached levels 2 & 3. She keeps learning from fellow coaches and training, and this year is coaching levels 4 & 5.

Our gym has a big and very good Acro Team as well as our small artistic team. There is only 4 Acro teams around here. They compete those for scores to go to state and then Nationals. They have never had a team not qualify. The girls range in age from 5 to early 20's. there are scholarships for Acro. Check the gyms around you to see if Acro is offered. It is a very cool sport, just couldn't talk my daughters into it. They prefer artistic. Keep in mind though Acro is very expensive.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back