Parents First Year of Summer Training

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

E

Ex member

This year will be my youngest dd's first year of training during the day time in the summer, her hours will increase but days will stay the same for no extra charge, she will be doing 10am to 3pm twice a week most of the time except one training session will be in the evening as usual and one will be afternoon only. I must admit that I am looking forward to this and see what progress she will make during this time, I am hoping to be able to drop and run if my eldest gym schedule allows - still waiting to find out her days and times. Both of my dd's do musical theatre and my youngest also does modern dance, they have a show this summer and will be required to rehearse during the day sometimes, this will clash with gym training, my eldest dd's coach is fine with it but my youngest dd's coach has given is the ok to pick up dd early during one of her training sessions but I get the impression she isn't too happy with it, my dd's dance teacher has refused to let dd miss this rehearsal for her gym session as she is needed as it is a rehearsal involving all modern grades to sort out the dance the are doing, they only usually practice with their own grades.

I have told my dd's that if they want to continue gymnastics then they might not be able to do the show next year as it is not fair on either the coach or dance teacher who might need them on the same day.

Going back to the summer training, what is typically involved in this? Is is usually loads of conditioning or skill based or a mix? I know every gym is different but what do your children do during summer training?

At DDs gym summer training, on the all day schedule (they go 8:30-3:30 M-F) is mostly conditioning. With new skills thrown in as allowed and able. I know this week my DD can barely walk at night and needs an Epsom salts bath and a gentle massage to get her to the next day. Ha ha. They charge $200/ wk rather than the regular $215/ mo though. Free extra training is amazing!

At DDs gym summer training, on the all day schedule (they go 8:30-3:30 M-F) is mostly conditioning. With new skills thrown in as allowed and able. I know this week my DD can barely walk at night and needs an Epsom salts bath and a gentle massage to get her to the next day. Ha ha. They charge $200/ wk rather than the regular $215/ mo though. Free extra training is amazing!
Ouch! 6 hours of conditioning is A LOT?!?! When do they learn the new skills for the next level?

At DD they do a bit more conditioning than in the school year but most of the time is devoted to new skills and the drills for new skills. Once school starts, the conditioning goes down a bit and more emphasis is placed on the skills required for the upcoming season. You tend to see a lot of new skills during the summer, especially in the lower levels.

Ouch! 6 hours of conditioning is A LOT?!?! When do they learn the new skills for the next level?

At DD they do a bit more conditioning than in the school year but most of the time is devoted to new skills and the drills for new skills. Once school starts, the conditioning goes down a bit and more emphasis is placed on the skills required for the upcoming season. You tend to see a lot of new skills during the summer, especially in the lower levels.

They start training skills and routines again in August. The gym has no compulsories, optionals and USAIGC only, so the season doesn't begin until January. Some girls do this schedule all summer, but many only 2-3 weeks. There are normal evening team training hours available also for those who can't or won't do these hours. There is only one week required.

Our summer training takes place during the day, instead of evenings, but the hours/days are the same as in the fall. The girls practice from 9-1, 4 days a week. The first hour is spent conditioning, as are the last 15-30 minutes. The rest of the time is spent on skills.

Yougest dd normally does 5 hours a week (split between 2x 2 1/2 hour sessions), she hasn't started competing yet but may have her first competition in November.

During her normal sessions they do warm up and conditioning, warm up is around 20 mins and conditioning is 20-30 mins per session, day one they go on the beam and metal bar and floor and on the second day they go on the vault and a bars and floor.

They will be nearly doubling their hours if you include a lunch break so will have more time then usual. Is it too much to expect dd to show some improvement other the summer (5 weeks of extra hours).

In my daughter's gym (she is L3) they do a lot of conditioning and skill preps that will be in their routine. For example, they have been solidifying the roundoffs, handstands, backhandsprings, backward rolls w/ straight arms on floor rather than putting it together as a routine just yet. Same on beam.

They have been doing a fair amount of conditioning. They do a good 20 min at the end of class of solid conditioning and sometimes one of the rotations is conditioning.

Once school starts up and we are on our fall schedule it will be more of practicing the routines over and over and maybe continuing to solidify those things that need it, such as perfecting the handstand roll, etc.

Conditioning and lots of skills. No routines at all. Summer is all about getting in as many new skills as possible.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back