WAG Flyaway fears...still..

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

ollieblueeyes

Proud Parent
DD is still having flyaway issues. She has competed lvl 5 at 2 meets. The first she made it, the second she scratched. I just learned she has not made once since before the last meet. We have a meet this weekend.

I have been totally out of the gym and leaving this between coaches and DD. DDs reports were everything is fine. Until tonight. She told me it's been weeks since she made a flyaway. She shared that she's back to doing timers (1.5 hrs worth tonight) and coaches are threatening lvl 4 at the upcoming meet. Is that even possible? I am unsure how to proceed. She is really feeling down and I am not sure having her try only to scratch at the last minute after a whole lot of crying is really constructive. For those who have btdt, any advice?

Been there, done that, doing it again...stinking flyaway! Pea hit her toes on the bar doing them, gosh a year and a half ago, and it's been a constant struggle since then. She managed to squeak out her tucked one for L5 last year, and stuck with it. But spent last summer working giants and free hips only (the coaches seemed to forget to remind them to also keep at flyaways!) So she lost it again. Refused, cried, scratched, etc. We are now preparing for a L5 season again since Pea will do a tucked one from taps, but won't do a layout from handstand (gyms L6 requirement.) So unfortunately no wise words of advice, just the reassurance that she's not alone!

Thanks for the commiseration.....it's really effecting her confidence. I am curious, how are your coaches helping her? Last night she was worried she would have to compete lvl 4 this weekend. She said coach had her run thru the lvl 4 routine at practice. I am not sure what to think about that...she is doubting herself thinking she should not even be a lvl 5 even though she scored in the nines on the other 3 events at the last meet.

Timers, drills, spotting and pit work. Give it time, take the pressure off. Not sure threatening to move back a level is a big help. Scratching bars until this passes, but only if regularly working the drills etc. with spot and pit work.

I can tell you from experience, that no matter what the reason for the fear, threats aren't going to work. Pea's coaches, while great in some respects, stink in others, fears being one of them. They are not fans of going back to drills, and have told me there is nothing psychological about a mental block :eek: If your DD's coaches will continue to work the timers, drills, and spotting, that will help a lot. If they are willing I would suggest asking them to either have her scratch or just don't go to meets for the time being. Threats caused a massive amount of anxiety in Pea and I think were very counter productive. If they aren't willing, L4 can be a time for her to compete where she is proficient and confident and give her a mental break from the stress. Fears can also be contagious and taking a break can help 'preserve' the skills she does have. That's how we played up the step back for Pea... Lot of hugs for her!

Normal ,, some kids just have a harder time, no worries.

Reactions: sce
I didn't think they could just put her back to 4 since she has already started 5. I can't remember the USAG rules in that.

Pretty sure that once she competes at L5 in a USAG sanctioned meet, she cannot go back a level unless her coaches petition due to an injury. The only levels you can go back and forth between are L5 and L6.

Sounds like an empty threat to "motivate" her.

I was under the impression you could drop back down as long as you haven't competed at a state/sectional meet?

Okay, according to USAG rules, a gymnast may not drop back a level after competing in a Sectional meet. In areas with no sectional meet, a "dead" date is set where a gymnast cannot drop back.

Well the meet is over. Bars was last, the first three events went fine. The judging was tough but fair across the board. She would not do the flyaway during warmups so coach made her do the routine with lvl 4 dismount. Looked good to me up to the dismount. What's the deduction for subbing out the flyaway?

it's vestibular. the "signal" that they are sent is that they are either going to land on their head OR hit the bar OR hit the bar and fall on their head.

while there is the chance that this may happen, all things being equal with good coaching, the chance is more remote than not.

but the problem is that the fear that the athlete feels is "real" to them no matter how ridiculous it is to everyone else. :)

but the problem is that the fear that the athlete feels is "real" to them no matter how ridiculous it is to everyone else. :)

I am going to print this up. My daughter has not YET had a fear issue, but I am sure we will one of these days. And I have to remember this.

Just Saturday, she did her flyaway into the pit, and from my view she would have been landing them pretty solid on a mat. I asked her if she could go to the other bars and do it? Her answer was "No, I almost hit my feet on the bar". I had trouble with that for a moment, because my brain said "Sweetie, you just did it 5 times and landed vertical, what difference does it make?". But I didn't say it outloud. I said "I be that was scary! Did you do it again after that?" yes. Good.
I'm trying ;)

Okay, according to USAG rules, a gymnast may not drop back a level after competing in a Sectional meet. In areas with no sectional meet, a "dead" date is set where a gymnast cannot drop back.

well, not exactly. the level you are is whatever level you enter the state meet. example: you could compete an entire season as a level 8. then at the entry deadline for state meet, the coach can decide to compete them at level 7.

in the case of sectionals. example: child competes level 8 all season and does so at sectionals and qualifies to the level 8 state meet. after sectionals, the kid gets injured. she now can't compete level 8 skills due to the injury and the time it will take to recuperate. the coach sees that the level 7 state meet is after the level 8 state meet and sees that given that extra time the kid will be physically ready to at least compete level 7 skills. so, the coach fills out a petition and requests that his athlete, due to the circumstances i have described, be allowed to compete in the level 7 state meet. the request would be granted because USAG promotes competing. not keeping kids out. :)

After this meet, I am not sure the LVL 4 thing is such a option. Her level 5 skills are all there and when she can do the dismount the coach said it looks beautiful. She is well on her way to her LVL 6 skills with the very large exception of the flyaway.

I think having DD compete the routine w/the LVL4 dismount was a great solution (although she disagrees). She was able to get practice/feedback on her routine up to the dismount while working towards getting it back. Like I mentioned in an earlier post, her routine was looking great until the dismount.Her AA was not that far off the group and I think she probably finished 4th?

We have 3 weeks until the next meet.....Crossing fingers that its enough time....

Dunno, thanks for the info re: vestibular, I need to share that with her dad. I try to explain what is going on and I don't do a very good job.

I am pretty sure that she can't compete level 4 now that she already did level 5. Do lots of drills but don't bring it up with her; let her bring it up to you if she wants to talk.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News