Parents Help! Bun keeps falling out at competitions

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

My dd loves these braided hair ties. For practice she only uses one and it keeps her hair contained quite well. They also rarely break, which is awesome.

Yes, my DD rejects the gel coated ones as well. Her hair is really thick, but it's also fine, so it gets tangled and stuck to the gel ones.

Yes, my DD rejects the gel coated ones as well. Her hair is really thick, but it's also fine, so it gets tangled and stuck to the gel ones.
. This is extremely good to know! My daughter has a lot of fine hair and is tender headed to boot! I won't be buying these!!

We've never had that said to us - that bobby pins aren't allowed. When DD was in artistic we were told no bobby pins because they fall out. If they fall out you're doing it wrong. I'm a bun/French braid pro and we use a bun maker for DD's hair. The actual only bobby pins I use are 4 to snug the hair net in place and I've never had any fall out. And you can't see them because the scrunchie goes around it all at the end. LOTS of hair spray.
I believe no bobby pins is a USAG rule for T&T. It makes keeping a bun in my daughter's hair almost impossible. I've tried EVERYTHING!

I believe no bobby pins is a USAG rule for T&T. It makes keeping a bun in my daughter's hair almost impossible. I've tried EVERYTHING!
I'd love the citation. I dug through the rules and couldn't find anything. I definitely don't want to do anything to cause an issue for DD.

I'd love the citation. I dug through the rules and couldn't find anything. I definitely don't want to do anything to cause an issue for DD.
https://usagym.org/PDFs/T&T/Rules/jocodeofpoints/2017/tr_102216.pdf In the JO Code of Points under Dress Code it says "Only rubber bands, ribbons, flat metal clips or soft hair decorations are allowed". While it doesn't specifically say "no bobby pins", it seems as though flat metal clips are those barrette things that kind of pop open when you push on them. I'm pretty sure I have seen something specific about bobby pins in the past though...

Both my daughter and I hated it when the buns were required at her last gym. I know lots of the parents and girls were really frustrated trying to get the "required" style. DD's hair isn't thick but is long and slippery. I combined several things to get a bun that would both stay in place and not hurt her head too much for the back extension rolls. We finally found the answer in "twisty pins". I'm not sure what they are really called but I'll see if I can copy a photo or link below. You basically "screw" them into the bun. Two of those, a handful of hairpins (not bobby pins), a hairnet, scrunchy wrapped around bun (required or we would have skipped it), and gel kept everything perfect. For a flatter bun we went to double braids, then made the bun from them. She also had hairspray in her bag in case there were any wisps but I think she only took it out to loan to other girls.

https://www.amazon.com/Goody-Simple-Styles-Assorted-Colors/dp/B003FVDNO6?th=1

https://usagym.org/PDFs/T&T/Rules/jocodeofpoints/2017/tr_102216.pdf In the JO Code of Points under Dress Code it says "Only rubber bands, ribbons, flat metal clips or soft hair decorations are allowed". While it doesn't specifically say "no bobby pins", it seems as though flat metal clips are those barrette things that kind of pop open when you push on them. I'm pretty sure I have seen something specific about bobby pins in the past though...
Yeah, I guess I saw that and felt like bobby pins were flat and metal. LOL. I suppose I could use the clips in the same way I use the three bobby pins I use, which is to anchor the hair net in place, even though I really don't think it will go anywhere. I'm such a rulebreaker apparently!

i use bobby pins every single meet. as far as i know, dd hasn't been marked off. lol kind of hard to see them as they match her hair and they don't fall out. the above cited link is for Trampoline. which isn't what my dd competes in anyway.
i've never seen a rule that states what JO gymnasts can or can't do with their hair. all we've ever been told is that it can't get in your face - you can get marked off for that. some of our upper levels just use a scrunchie to do a messy bun. how that doesn't fall out amazes me!
we do two french braids and then join them in the back at the bottom in ponytail fashion. i use black ponytail holders and her hair accessory and then as many bobby pins and hairspray as needed in order to keep the wispy's up and neat. this way her hair is nice and neat and a bun doesn't interfere with anything she does on the floor.

FYI - this is a link for JO Trampoline. not the same thing. these kids only do trampoline. i can see a bobby pin that fell out and if they landed on it at the wrong angle with their foot it could do some damage.

FYI - this is a link for JO Trampoline. not the same thing. these kids only do trampoline. i can see a bobby pin that fell out and if they landed on it at the wrong angle with their foot it could do some damage.

There are two simultaneous threads happening here- one about artistic hair and one about t&t hair. It's t&t that seems to have some ambiguity between official rules and coaches rules.

My daughter has done BOTH - artistic and T&T. Only in artistic were we told unequivocally no bobby pins and the boosters taught everyone how to sew a bun in.

I use three or four pins to secure the hairnet to my daughter's bun and then wrap the scrunchie around and over the point of entry for them. Literally I cannot fathom how a pin could escape the prison I have ensnared them in. LOL. But I'm going to go out and buy some of those flat clips to test them out.

My daughter has done BOTH - artistic and T&T. Only in artistic were we told unequivocally no bobby pins and the boosters taught everyone how to sew a bun in.

I use three or four pins to secure the hairnet to my daughter's bun and then wrap the scrunchie around and over the point of entry for them. Literally I cannot fathom how a pin could escape the prison I have ensnared them in. LOL. But I'm going to go out and buy some of those flat clips to test them out.
That was more than likely a gym policy rather than an official UsAG rule.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back