Coaches Help with 4-5 yr old Boys class

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

JDLA

Coach
Proud Parent
Judge
I've been asked to coach a young beginning boys class once a week for an hour. I can't not seem to keep the boys attention no matter what I do! Boys are so much different than girls. I don't even know where to beginning. In short the entire hour is spent yelling the boys names to even listen to me. 90% of the class the boys are standing and staring off at another class. It doesn't help that they are 4 and 5 years old.

I've tried yelling at them or being super fun and exciting but nothing is works and I am starting to hate coaching them!

Any tips on how to communicate to young boys would be great! I am a mother of a 6 year old boy but he is cut from his own mold and his maturity level is way above his age so I don't understand boys hahaha

Thanks
Jenny

Cattle prods..? ;)
In all seriousness, I really don't have any concrete suggestions. That's one class you will NOT find me teaching. It takes a special kind of coach to do that well, it's more like herding cats than teaching gymnastics. Even our best boys' rec teachers (heck even the MAG team coaches!) do spend a fair amount of class time corralling the boys and trying to keep some semblance of order...

Tricky. I teach 4/5 year old boys but in mixed-gender classes. I have some boys who are very good listeners and some who are very excitable and difficult to get to listen - perhaps on average they have more energy than the girls, but not consistently. I've also seen a lot of improvement from some of the most listening-challenged boys, so progress is definitely possible.

At this age I think it's important to make sure everything is fun even while it builds towards skill development and coordination. Somethings I try when they're too hyper:
-doing a lot of highly active exercises at the beginning of class, like running, jumping, frog jumps, punches
-state something like the child who is the best listener will get some special privilege like leading the line as we rotate to the next event
-making the more boring things into games or obstacle courses. Making it an Extra Special Challenge has worked for one kid I have - he will always run down instead of doing a certain exercise, so I tell him we're going to have a contest to see who goes the slowest.
-circuits work better than stations for this age usually, if the spatial set-up allows it
-I usually expect some goofing off and don't spend my time punishing unnecessarily, as long as they're on their station, being safe, and not interfering with the other kids

-most importantly, when I explain what we're about to do, I make sure I have all of their attention before we proceed. I ask them to point to their eyes, and everyone must do it before the gymnastics can start. I also make this into a game, having them touch different parts of their body or do different motions.

Never expect the boys to wait, for anything! Just like in preschool classes make-up circuits so that the boys are always doing something, even free jump as one of the stations, you pick one of the stations in the circuit and concentrate on that skill, or shaping (with eyes in the back of your head, boys have a tendency to dart across the gym without thinking!). Everything else should be fun and very active, running, jumping, etc. I like how someone said makeup lots of games, not winning and losing games though, this can get very hard on the kids who aren't the strongest athletes. My son is one of these crazy terrible little you know what’s, he has ADHD, that’s why we pay a fortune for 3 rec. classes a week. He just wants to run, so by having circuits and free areas your allowing those who want to go 'crazy' space to do this safely, but you are also giving those who want to take is seriously a space to work on skills. I would give them lots of options, say after you do 5 tuck, straddles and pikes you will get 5 free jumps than have them move on to the next station. There is also nothing wrong with running drills, if they are getting ancy through in some running drills and take a water break after. Like I said no lines, it won't work, I have coached boys as well and circuits are what works best. Also young boys like to work on all the equipment, and why not so let them try a little of everything, the more variation the better. If parents ask, "Why are you working on this piece of equipment" explain that its part of conditioning and training but remind them its not where you will be concentrating on skills. Some parents don't understand what its like to coach young boys so they will think you're a bad coach when all the coaches are thinking your amazing for stepping up to a tough task. Keep in the back of your mind that you are teaching the boys more than skills, you are teaching them values and giving them a safe place for them to vet their energy. Chances are you will have a lot of boys with neurobehavioral disorders, they are often the ones who need these classes most! Don't forget that and it will make it worthwhile! PS If you find a boy that isn't fitting in or struggling to behave consistently talk to their parents about working out a system to help them make it through class, don't wait until it blows up. Also some boys like girls more because they tend to be less visually stimulating compared to the zoo of crazy boys, this is always something you can suggest if things are working out for one of your parents/students (for beginner gymnast only though).

Never expect the boys to wait, for anything! Just like in preschool classes make-up circuits so that the boys are always doing something, even free jump as one of the stations, you pick one of the stations in the circuit and concentrate on that skill, or shaping (with eyes in the back of your head, boys have a tendency to dart across the gym without thinking!). Everything else should be fun and very active, running, jumping, etc. I like how someone said makeup lots of games, not winning and losing games though, this can get very hard on the kids who aren't the strongest athletes. My son is one of these crazy terrible little you know what’s, he has ADHD, that’s why we pay a fortune for 3 rec. classes a week. He just wants to run, so by having circuits and free areas your allowing those who want to go 'crazy' space to do this safely, but you are also giving those who want to take is seriously a space to work on skills. I would give them lots of options, say after you do 5 tuck, straddles and pikes you will get 5 free jumps than have them move on to the next station. There is also nothing wrong with running drills, if they are getting ancy through in some running drills and take a water break after. Like I said no lines, it won't work, I have coached boys as well and circuits are what works best. Also young boys like to work on all the equipment, and why not so let them try a little of everything, the more variation the better. If parents ask, "Why are you working on this piece of equipment" explain that its part of conditioning and training but remind them its not where you will be concentrating on skills. Some parents don't understand what its like to coach young boys so they will think you're a bad coach when all the coaches are thinking your amazing for stepping up to a tough task. Keep in the back of your mind that you are teaching the boys more than skills, you are teaching them values and giving them a safe place for them to vet their energy. Chances are you will have a lot of boys with neurobehavioral disorders, they are often the ones who need these classes most! Don't forget that and it will make it worthwhile! PS If you find a boy that isn't fitting in or struggling to behave consistently talk to their parents about working out a system to help them make it through class, don't wait until it blows up. Also some boys like girls more because they tend to be less visually stimulating compared to the zoo of crazy boys, this is always something you can suggest if things are working out for one of your parents/students (for beginner gymnast only though).

Oopps I meant some boys like girls classes more lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back