WAG How much time spent conditioning?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

On this topic- our gym does push gymnasts down during stretching, to the point that girls sometimes cry. Thoughts on the effectiveness of this? A few parents have complained and told the coaches it's not acceptable to push their kid down during stretching, but the rest (DD included) continue to be pushed down at times.

We stopped pushing kids down in splits years ago. It used to be standard practice in gymnastics, but as we learn more and more about the body and the science of developing flexibility practices change.

Even the most experienced coaches can accidentally tear a gymnasts muscles pushing them down in splits. Muscle tears heal with scar tissue, scar tissue is less flexible, so ultimately this practice can reduce, not increase flexibility.

We stopped pushing kids down in splits years ago. It used to be standard practice in gymnastics, but as we learn more and more about the body and the science of developing flexibility practices change.

Even the most experienced coaches can accidentally tear a gymnasts muscles pushing them down in splits. Muscle tears heal with scar tissue, scar tissue is less flexible, so ultimately this practice can reduce, not increase flexibility.

Good to know! Now I wonder why our coaches don't know this....

Good to know! Now I wonder why our coaches don't know this....

Old habits die hard. As thinking and understanding progress, it takes a long time for society to catch up. Many coaches have the "that's how I was taught and I'm fine". Or "it never hurt me" catch cry.

Does this mean that they sit in the split (or oversplit) and someone (a coach or partner) pushes them down when they are trying to resist?
That is certainly a very effective method for PNF stretching, yes.

I can't answer for Aero, but from what I've read the gymnast would get in a split and "resist" the split by pushing their legs against the floor (sort of like they are trying to stand up out of the split) and then relax into the split.
This is specifically what I do with my kids, although with certain kids, depending on their needs, I will push against them in different ways. For example, the gymnast will lie on her back, she will raise one leg, and I will push the leg towards her upper body while she resists. Then, when she relaxes I am able to push the leg a little further than before.

For example, the gymnast will lie on her back, she will raise one leg, and I will push the leg towards her upper body while she resists. Then, when she relaxes I am able to push the leg a little further than before.
This is what I have done with YG for years. It works most of the time. The only time it didnt work, her leg bones had grown, but the tendons and ligaments hadnt caught up yet (she couldnt even straighten her knees completely when standing). Took PT and massage and these stretches (carefully) to get her split bigger... and it helped when the tendons caught up, lol.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back