WAG How to cope with chronic pain/injury and end of gymnastics career

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

stargazer

Gymnast
I've been doing gymnastics for most of my life, and am dealing with a back injury that I've finally understood probably means the end of my gymnastics career (it's been going on for 5+ years but has gotten much worse recently) . I joined competitive relatively late at the ripe old age of 16, and that combined with being a hyper-flexible kid meant I developed a lot of bad movement patterns that have not been kind to my spine. I'm seeing a physiotherapist, osteopath, and sports medicine doctor and have found a few things via x-rays and MRIs to explain the pain I'm in, but none of them are convinced it's the full story (I can elaborate on this if needed). This means I'm in varying degrees of pain most days, and on the good days I can rock climb if I'm careful and on the bad days I can't stand up for more than 10 minutes - and none of the professionals I'm seeing have a clear idea of what's contributing to my pain.

Long story short, I don't know what to do without gymnastics and don't know how to deal with the chronic pain I'm in, and am wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm only 24 and I'm miserable when I think about not being physically active anymore. I swim occasionally and I don't like it that much but maybe I don't have much of a choice at this point. I do enjoy rock climbing but I just found gymnastics so incredibly fun, challenging, and satisfying, in ways no other sports I've tried come close to.

Thanks so much for reading this and for any advice or stories you contribute!

I'm so sorry to hear about your back troubles! That sounds awful. I don't really have any specific advice but I wish you the best. I've personally found that nothing can quite ever replace gymnastics sport wise in my life since stopping competing but I have found other things that I enjoy. I encourage you to try some other sports/activities that are more back friendly, you might find something else you really like! I must say, it's pretty awesome that you've been able to do gymnastics into your 20's, not everyone is able to do that.

I also had to stop training because of an injury that would have cause long term problems to my ankle if I had continued. Coaching was and still is my way to stay involved in the sport. I work full time during the day but yeah... How couldn't I be in a gym at least 3 times a week? There must be something in the chalk that make us want to come back. I also tried flying trapeze, which I really liked, but had to stop because school was taking too much time.

For the pain, maybe it'll be better when you'll stop gymnastics?

DD has been out of gym for 10 months now, and she still has back pain. This is a tough injury to recover from. DD's official diagnoses is "degenerative facets", but according to the doctor, this doesn't necessary have to be causing her pain. So, we are not sure why she is still having the pain even after all this time without gymnastics. And yes, she still loves it and misses it and still mad at us for making her quit, but no way would I allow her to continue gymnastics while in pain.
So, my advise to OP, I think you should quit. I know it's hard, but you are only 24, and you will need your back for the rest of your life.

Is ther another way to stay involved with gymnastics? Perhaps you could work at the front desk, or coach, or consider becoming an athletic trainer/PT/etc?

As someone with chronic issues, remember not to overdo it on "good" days... It's so tempting to, but also so easy to end up worse off the next day.

I agree with retirement, as heartbreaking as that is. Try to take some time be be positive in possibly "reinventing" yourself. It's possible it can have a quite positive outcome.

second the above.

My hubbie played international rugby, it now takes him 5 minutes to get out of bed, he can't tie his own shoelaces and takes a lot of painkiller, every day, just to function at a basic level.

He wrapped his back around a rugby post in the days before they were padded, and has been in pain every day since.

He got a lot of enjoyment out of coaching, and still felt in contact and part of the sport he loves

Coach! And pour all the passion you still have for the sport into it, and you'll be sure to spark the same passion in many of the kids you coach. To see a kid learn and grow in and with gymnastics is the only thing more beautiful to me than doing the sport itself. Seriously, give it a go!

Thanks everyone. I've been out of gym for a little while because of the pain, but I still had the mindset of "just a few more weeks, then I can try training again". It's only recently that I'm realizing it's probably the end of the road for me and gymnastics, though I'm holding out hope that I might eventually be able to return to bars, even if that's not for a few years.

I considered coaching too but Aussie_coach is right; some days I can barely walk and that wouldn't be very helpful for my athletes! Maybe when things calm down I'll coach little rec kids, nothing too strenuous. Catou, there's definitely something in the chalk!

I've been doing gymnastics for most of my life, and am dealing with a back injury that I've finally understood probably means the end of my gymnastics career (it's been going on for 5+ years but has gotten much worse recently) . I joined competitive relatively late at the ripe old age of 16, and that combined with being a hyper-flexible kid meant I developed a lot of bad movement patterns that have not been kind to my spine. I'm seeing a physiotherapist, osteopath, and sports medicine doctor and have found a few things via x-rays and MRIs to explain the pain I'm in, but none of them are convinced it's the full story (I can elaborate on this if needed). This means I'm in varying degrees of pain most days, and on the good days I can rock climb if I'm careful and on the bad days I can't stand up for more than 10 minutes - and none of the professionals I'm seeing have a clear idea of what's contributing to my pain.

Long story short, I don't know what to do without gymnastics and don't know how to deal with the chronic pain I'm in, and am wondering if anyone has any advice. I'm only 24 and I'm miserable when I think about not being physically active anymore. I swim occasionally and I don't like it that much but maybe I don't have much of a choice at this point. I do enjoy rock climbing but I just found gymnastics so incredibly fun, challenging, and satisfying, in ways no other sports I've tried come close to.

Thanks so much for reading this and for any advice or stories you contribute!

you go and coach now and give back! and you'll get paid for your effort!! :)

My daughter injured her knee. A few weeks later on a bike ride she broke her wrist. This proved to be a jumping off point for her. She was ready to try something new. I almost think she didn't know how to quit. She ended at level 9. And up until this point it came somewhat easy (easy isn't the right word you have to work hard and be dedicated to reach level 9) . She loved it but I think once you are in the higher optional levels you have to be passionate to a higher degree. I admire gymnasts like you who try and try. They have love and passion that sees them through despite setbacks. That being said, she switched to rock climbing and loves it! Because of gymnastics she is good. She is progressing quickly and is thinking about taking it to the next level and competing. It's not pounding on her body. She loves her coaches (she misses her gym coaches and says they remind her of them). Not as many hours and less expensive at least so far. Good luck!

Maybe you would like a swim team better where there is a coach and challenging sets to complete and going to meets. Most clubs will have a master's group. If you get as good as the regular senior groups you could always compete open, but the master's teams have fun.

There is a PT in Gwinnett County GA that I could recommend as very good with stabilizing backs. If you don't find someone passionate about back pain, well, it's not a very rewarding diagnosis for them since they fail a lot, and thus a lot of experts can be kind of shruggy.

Do you have pain all the time or mostly on weightbearing? Does the pain get worse the longer you stand or walk and improve when you sit or lay down? Have you had a MRI with arthrogram to check your hips for labral tears and/or dysplasia? If you're hypermobile, you're at a greater risk for labral tears and degeneration, and they absolutely can cause severe back pain. Although most people have groin pain with labral tears, some only have back and/or knee issues. I had tears in both hips, but they didn't hurt save some pinching in the front of my right hip. My back and knees though....agonizing pain. Arthroscopic surgery (scope) to fix the tears isn't fullproof but with proper rehab, the overwhelming majority of patients get better. Having scopes to repair the tears was honestly the best decisions I've ever made; I had horrible back and SI joint pain that improved dramatically. I'm also hypermobile and particularly unstable in my pelvis, probably got the tears from years of gymnastics. It's so important for us to keep our muscles 10x as strong as the average person and to learn how to use the right muscles and not hang on our already lax ligaments. Strengthening and repositioning exercises will have to be a lifetime, daily commitment. I'd recommend Postural Restoration Institute PT or OT for anyone esp hypermobile patients (pick a PRI certified PT or OT who has experience working with hypermobile patients or EDS-ers as we are super good at compensating with the wrong muscles without realizing it). I'd have hip surgery over back surgery anyday. Just make sure they repair the labrum not cut it out, close and tighten the hip capsule, shave down any bonyimpingement...pick the best surgeon possible, make sure they make you do a 3D CT scan before surgery to check for dysplasia....dysplasis or version issues usually mean arthroscopic surgery is a no-go, most need an open surgery or a PAO or FO surgery.

Oh, and you said that your providers don't have a clear idea what's causing your pain....that sounds def like a hypermobile patient. Your muscles have to work so much harder than a "normal" person because your ligaments are too lax and not providing the support they should. As a result, your muscles get overworked particularly those slow-twitch postural muscles, eg in your back. If you don't have the endurance and strength in the muscles needed, then others will try to jump in and take over. They get overworked, tired and achy...it can be agonizingly painful as the overworked muscles spasm and develop trigger points. Spasming muscles are hard to strength too. The only way to fix it is with neuromuscular training, strengthening the right muscles and getting them to fire, relaxing and shutting off (NOT stretching) the "wrong" muscles, and learning how to stand, sit, walk and which muscles should be doing what during those movements.

Sorry for the long responses....I've been where you are and I was lucky to stumble into the right diagnosis and help. If I hadn't, I don't think I'd be here I was in so much pain and though I'd spend the rest of my life bedridden.

Duyetanh, just told you before a mod did. Commenting on very old posts is called Necroposting. The situation has likely been resolved. If you are interested in the topic please start a new thread.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back