WAG Is anybody else tired of wolf turns?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

D

Deleted member 26744

I think they are only attractive when done perfectly in a routine where they flow with the other elements and the gymnast is able to do it without too much hesitation, and not many can do that.

Unfortunate nature of Code of Points... what gets points is what everyone has to do. Figure skating has been similarly harmed from its transition to CoP, in my opinion.

I've wanted to make a joke video, editing parts of various different competitions into the Wolf Turn Championships, heh.

OMG, yes! The last time I watched a competition I thought the same thing. I didn't even know what they were called until a year or so ago, LOL. Totally overused and very inconsistent.

I hated them from the beginning. 1 turn? Looks pretty and a nice addition... 2+ turns and then 2 done sequentially? nope...

I hope the code of points will change so we don't see so many of them.
Do you know how Ludmilla Tourischeva did a wolf turn into a press handstand? She did it well, and the way it flowed into her next skill made it nice.

They often do seem like an excuse to fill time to try to pad-out one's beam routine by filling it with as many basics as you feel you might get away with, *but*: I think if they're used as a transition move preceding or following something technically elaborate (as others have pointed out above), (to me) it was a way of just getting my bearings re-situated halfway through.

I wonder if they would have a better reputation if their name was changed to something instead, like(?): "Half-Turn Warrior Pose" (LOL)! When I started doing yoga (10 years' after I'd last been on a gym varsity squad in H.S.), the "warrior pose" reminded me of when I'd break into doing wolf turns.

I wish there was a major deduction for the flailing arms! I still wouldn’t like them, but it would be much better if they weren’t allowed to look like an injured bird trying to take flight.

My understanding with wolf turns is that there is currently a maximum of .3 that can be taken on them (unless it's on beam and the athlete actually comes off the apparatus). Could one of the judges/code-savvy people confirm?

They need to be able to take a full fall if the athlete puts a hand down to steady themself, or rolls out of the turn in an uncontrolled fashion. There should be deductions for lack of balance and arm swings in the turn itself--my understanding is that those are currently landing deductions, not applicable midskill? These should be taken along with an excessive preparation and posture deductions.

If falls were taken when gymnasts just rolled out into choreography because they completely lost balance, arm swings were deducted, etc. I think the turns would quickly stop being worth it for all but the handful who really can do them well.

And if I don't know what I'm talking about with deductions, please fill in the gaps!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back