Make It or Break It --- ABC Family --- June 22nd 9/8c

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Rate "Make It or Break It" using the scale below.

• Gold

Votes: 10 9.9%
  • Silver

Votes: 24 23.8%
  • Bronze

Votes: 25 24.8%
  • ....didn't even qualify to state.

Votes: 42 41.6%

• Total voters
  • Poll closed .
I didn't like it. It seemed way too unrealistic and didn't portray gym the way it should be portrayed. So I dont think I'm going to watch it again.

The show kind of seems like a crummy rip-off of Stick It, in that it's got the newcomer, inconsistent star (Emily=Hayleigh), and the whiny, totally "awesome" antagonist (Lauren=JoAnn), and then some random girls who aren't sure where to stand. I'm going to give it another chance next week, because sometimes the pilots aren't as good as the rest of the series. If that doesn't work, I'll be flipping (pun intended) to Jon and Kate Plus 8 and see what kind of drama I can find there.

i was flipping between MIOBI and jon and kate plus 8 yesterday! i've heard they're going to be stopping the show now that they announced the divorce. but who know what you can and can't believe.

When Emily fell on vault...did she really try to do a front tuck ONTO the vault table? and tucked tsuks and yurochenko's? And these girls want to go to NATIONALS! This is sended a bad message about gymnastics to non-gymnasts (eating disorters, mean coaches, snotty girls, ect.) i completely agree w/ everyone else...but i will keep watching it :). When there is a gym show on tv, i can't just NOT watch, lol.

When Emily fell on vault...did she really try to do a front tuck ONTO the vault table? and tucked tsuks and yurochenko's? And these girls want to go to NATIONALS! This is sended a bad message about gymnastics to non-gymnasts (eating disorters, mean coaches, snotty girls, ect.) i completely agree w/ everyone else...but i will keep watching it :). When there is a gym show on tv, i can't just NOT watch, lol.

I'm gonna hold the mindset that she was going for a handspring of some sort. :p

I'm the same way... it's gymnastics, I have to watch! :D

Yeahh the routines werent even close to what they would really be at that level. And ive landed on my neck before bailing out of something and I couldnt walk there is no way that girl could do another vault. And those vaults were like level 8 vaults hahaha. Yeah the show is not even close to regular gymnastics but I will still watch it just becuase its the only show about gymnastics. Oh and when that girl fell on beam like really they made it so dramatic it was pretty dumb. Stick it was way better then thisshow.

But it is a tv show, the drama is what they are going for more that reality I guess.
You're right. It is what it is. It's a show. If we want documentary, we should switch to PBS or Discovery. We should not take it so personal. Reap and enjoy what you can relate to and leave the rest. Now, if I saw such story telling in the news, I would be pretty upset.

I would even stretch to say, when was it the last time we watched something that resembles realism, on tv or big screen? To me, the show is similar to Deperate Housewife played in a gym setting (with vulgarity toned down) where Wisteria Lane is the Rock. Is WHW real? Hardly. But, is it unique and written well? You bet. To me, if there aren't a lot of holes in the drama and the twists are played out well enough, then it's a decent show.

I'm sure most of the shows on tv arent very realistic..look at some shows The Mentalist.. how realistic is that? The Hills...awful! It's just for entertainment. I think thats more of what they were shooting for the drama of it, not so much reality. That's just my opinion, I voted silver.
I also agree with that. Granted it is too early to tell, but it's a fiction and it's playing out pretty well so far -- far better than most targeted to teenagers or otherwise that is available and popular out there. If Miley is deemed to have a "good" show (not mentioning ones that are far more graphic), then MIBI is an extraordinary show. At least the acting and plot is far better.

Now, with that all being said, I think the producers should do the sport justice by explaining (in a commentary section) how things are actually dramatized for the effect of entertainment. Without it, it does paint a bad image of what competitive gymnastics really is (not that many people already know anything about it). Worse off, there is potentially some wacko or unstable individual out there that would think otherwise and would hurt themselves.

I have to wonder...was that second vault just a tsuk tuck? Looked like it to me! And these girls are trying to get into Nationals and gain a spot in the Olympics? That is about as unrealistic as it gets. The only good thing is that it makes my daughter look really good because her tsuk blows that one away.
Yup, that was a tsuk tuck and a pretty ordinary one. Then again, I don't think I saw too many big skills in the whole show -- at least nothing bigger than L7/8/9 ones. Now, again, keep in mind, it's acting. I'm just glad that it wasn't all bad editing.

what channel on sky is abc family on?
You cannot get it from the sky. ABC Family is on cable/dish only. Like you I don't have cable/dish. But, fortunately because of the modern technology, you can find just about any show on the Internet. The big networks have excellent streaming. MIBI is viewable through abcfamily.com.

I think the show was ok. I mean it really wasn't relistic gymnastics skills wise. I think they focused too much on the dramatic aspect of the show rather than the actual gymnastics part.
If you were Joe Blow the viewer who knows nothing about gymnastics, would you keep watching the show for the sport elements. Now, if it's on ESPN Gymnastics Channel, then there is a chance?

Last edited:
You cannot get it from the sky. ABC Family is on cable/dish only. Like you I don't have cable/dish. But, fortunately because of the modern technology, you can find just about any show on the Internet. The big networks have excellent streaming. MIBI is viewable through abcfamily.com.

Sky is a UK based satellite tv company. I do not think Sky gets MIOBI. I watched it in Canada on a web link on the last page as the ABC link is not availbale to non US viewers. Not sure whether I'll get to see any more that way.

I agree with just about everyone. I did not like the way it focused on the negative points of gymnastics---eating disorders, harsh rules and cattiness. I also did not care for the sabotaging aspect of the competition. Yes there were girls who were trying to be positive, it seemed to me that the negatives were winning.

I will not be letting my dd (12) watch it. After training 36 hours a week in the gym, this might be a bit too much gymnastics---especially when we try so hard to de-emphasize the negative aspects. So combined with the fact that the gymnastics is a bit unrealistic and I feel the content matter is not something I want her to spend her time watching--she will not be watching.

I do understand why all of the drama is there. It is, after all, a teen drama show and it has to appeal to the masses. I don't think many people would want to watch weeks of gymnastics practice, competition and drama...:) It will be interesting to see if does well.

im 14 will watch it but i agree totally... it is really negative and im not sure what the parents are doing when the 9 yr old on my team is watchin it???? but it was not really realistic with the skills performed... and those girls all have hips. gymnasts at the elite level dont

Your kidding right?????

As a Coach, former gymnast, and parent to a gymnast I was extremely disappointed in the effort put forth in this tv show( or trash as Im more inclined to call it). It was stereotypical of what people who have no idea might think. It will not be watched in my house and discouraged at the gym. I did get one good laugh though. My team of 10,11,and 12 year olds could take these girls LOL. those girls could use some hard core conditioning. So heres to the REAL GYMNASTS of the world, keep doing your thing and show the world what we're really about.:cool:

I guess I am a bad mom because me and my 2 dd's watch and they are little. I don't think there is anything terrible about the negativity, in fact it shows my dd-7 how not to act. If your kid knows or is taught right from wrong, then what does it matter?

We watched it last night and my 4 year old wanted to watch it again. We watch Stick It over and over again as well.

Remember most of the world doesn't know the first thing about gymnastics. Just like any other show they have to make it "watchable." Being catty and nasty is just that. If they did a show about how my dd's team doesn't argue and is positive nobody would watch!

Humm...

I loved the show on the 29th, the way those girls used gymnastics to get out of bad situation, but I agree in that the routines don't look hard enough for nationals, really. I dramatic soap opera about gymnastics, but I gave it silver for rarity.

I thought the second episode was pretty good except the gas station scene. How lame!!! BARF!!! If I want to be picky or if I hadn't watched the rest so far, I would quit watching after the showing of that one scene alone. Yeah, my daughters and I will keep watching for now.

Holly, hope you're listening!!! (not that I represent the whole audience of course)

"Mom, gymnasts don't get their periods. Not enough body fat."

BAHAHAHAHAH! Love that it came from the little brother!!

I agree. The story at least seems to get better each episode.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back