Mckenna, American Girl movie

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

mariposa

Proud Parent
Proud Parent
Saw this on DVD tonight (it just came out on the 3rd and will air on NBC on July 14th I think) with gymmie, we got it at Walmart. I thought it was really good, my DD did, too. Touched on a lot of things competitive gymnasts go through. I think there is much to be learned it for both gymnasts and parents alike. We don't do the American Girl dolls in our house, but love the movies! I think they did a really good job on the movie, and the gymnastics was really good! They apparently used a club in Canada and their gymnasts must have been in it, so we'll worth the watch!

Anyone else run out and get it today? What did you think?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

Dd is reading the books...now we will have to g get the movie, lol! Glad they have these things for the littles. And, hey! Beem missing you! Hope u and your family are well!

Saw this on DVD tonight (it just came out on the 3rd and will air on NBC on July 14th I think) with gymmie, we got it at Walmart. I thought it was really good, my DD did, too. Touched on a lot of things competitive gymnasts go through. I think there is much to be learned it for both gymnasts and parents alike. We don't do the American Girl dolls in our house, but love the movies! I think they did a really good job on the movie, and the gymnastics was really good! They apparently used a club in Canada and their gymnasts must have been in it, so we'll worth the watch!

Anyone else run out and get it today? What did you think?

Sent from my DROID X2 using Tapatalk 2

I also bought this last night for my daughter and we watched it together. Loved it!

I don't have the DVD, but I'm going to watch it when it comes on TV. Can't wait to see it! There aren't nearly enough good gymnastics movies out there! :D
I think they're going to have a movie night at our gym and show it. Not positive though, I think I heard a coach talking about it. I'll probably just watch it at home anyways. ;)

We got it yesterday too. My dd is at IGC so she hasn't seen it yet. I did sneak a peak and watch a little bit without her. Correct me if I'm wrong but in the book isn't McKenna trying to make the L4 team? Her moves in the movie were certainly above L4!

I think that might disappoint my dd a bit but I'm sure she'll love it! She's having a movie night next Saturday to watch it with her teammates but I'm going to let her watch it on the way home from camp on Saturday. I'm sure several of her teammates will have watched it already by then as well.

I just watched the trailer and it looks really cute! My daughter has the McKenna doll (gift from Grandma) and has read both books and ADORES her. I had no idea there was a movie. We'll have to pick it up the next time we're at Walmart. I checked Amazon but didn't see a DVD version, only the instant play digital version. :( I am a little bummed to see that she's doing much harder moves than a level 4 would do. My daughter just got moved up to level 4 (first team practice is tomorrow!) so it would have been really cool to see the same routines in the movie. If I remember correctly, the books actually list the moves in the routines correctly. Oh well. Thanks for posting!

PB is excited (she loves the McKenna game on my iPhone). She doesn't realize you can buy the DVD now; but she has the day written on he calendar when it will be on TV ;) I'll DVR it - I'm cheap like that. We have the doll with the bar set and beam (we got it right when it came out for her birthday in January) and she just got the 2nd book at Target - I think she's finished it; she normally reads in bed.

We watched it as a family. My 5-year-old daughter, who has the doll and has read the books, loved it. I thought it was great except for an absurd sequence where McKenna's friend Toulane sneaks around like a ninja doing back handsprings through the library. I especially liked the fact that they changed the story of how McKenna broke her ankle in a way that makes it seem less random and scary (in the movie she broke her ankle on a skill her coach told her not to do, whereas in the book I think she was just distracted). My husband, however, thought McKenna was a terrible brat!

McKenna reminded me of Maddie from Dance Moms.

I thought the SAME thing!

Broke down and bought it, and DD loved it. She liked it better than the book. She liked the fact the gymnastics was higher level than what she was in the book. DD just finished Level 4 and, honestly I think she never wants to see another L4 routine or read about one ever again in her life- lol. So she appreciated the plot changes and watching some more advanced gymnastics.

I thought the movie was good, entertaining, age appropriate for the age range of American Girl doll fans (5-12 year olds).

My daughter listed the major difference from the book to the movie:
In the book she is a level 4 gymnast like me but in the movie she is a level 8 or something. I think they changed this for drama.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back