WAG Moving forwards

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnastbecki

Coach
Gymnast
So I have been told recently that I will no longer be able to do gymnastics as I recently turned 18, and the British gymnastics system will no longer allow me to compete. Therefore in a couple of weeks time I will be forced to leave my squad and all my friends.
This was very hard for me to hear as I still have so much passion for the sport, and I have put in many hours of hard work and I still feel like I have so much to give.

I always thought that one day I would feel ready to leave and feel satisfied with what I have accomplished but I don't yet. And it really upsets me that I am now deemed to old to do gymnastics and my options are very limited.

There are adult sessions available at my gym, but it's really only a couple of hours a week, and it's not structured or coached. I'm used to training longer hours.

I'm just wondering what's the best way to cope with this, as I fear my life will become very empty without gymnastics as I really do feel it's the most incredible sport which has occupied my life for so many years

Wait, you are not allowed to compete after turning 18 in the UK? What kind of program has that kind of silly rules?

There are only a few competitions you can enter like British vets however not many clubs around cater for gymnasts who want to enter adult competitions.

If you are training elite there are still options, but for my level I am no longer allowed to do regional or county competitions.

crossfit only with a very good coach and a very good program. not as a general fitness programm. we have seen injuries which are just ridiculos for a fitness programm (coming from eight different boxes so definitly not only a "bad coach"-problem).

i would recommend to look into track or olympic weightlifting. both are great opportunities for ex-gymnasts which usually will do rather well. some do even excellent. you will be competitive there in no time and you will be considered a young potential ;) since peaking age is up to 40 in these sports. good luck!

I had a similar experience to you - the only options for gymnastics after 18 for me was a low-hours, un-coached program (they had competitions, but it wasn't really a "competitive" program). I took this time to pursue other interests and other forms of physical activity and expression. I like the dance/artistry aspect of gymnastics, so I started taking dance classes. I'd also always been interested in circus/aerial arts but I had never lived in an area where it was possible to do that, so now I'm doing that as something that's very physically challenging but also has an element of artistry/performance. I also started coaching gymnastics which helped me to learn more about the mechanics of the sport, and I learned that I actually really enjoy teaching kids. I know other ex-gymnasts who get into diving, partner acrobatics, rock climbing, or even physical therapy. For me, expanding my skillset to include other types of physical activity really challenged me to use and understand my body in new ways! When I go back to an open gym now, I feel like I approach gymnastics skills with more knowledge, even though I'm not as in shape anymore so I can't always do them well.

Good luck!

That is ridiculous, I am quite shocked that the association would force gymnasts to stop competing once they turn 1&. Here in Australia, there are no age limits. You can compete level 4 at the age of 50 if you want. Not many people do, but a lot will continue after their 18th birthday and train through out Uni/College etc.

First thing I would do is chat with your gym. Perhaps they will allow you to continue to train with your team and compete in adult gymnastics competitions.

Secondly look at talent transfer. Your gymnastics skills may be able to accelerate you into similar sports like cheerleading, diving, sports acro, trampoline, power tumbling, aerobics, aerial skiing etc.

Maybe you would like to consider getting your judging or coaching qualifications to continue working int he sport you love.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back