Parents Newbie mom needs advice please

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Look at other gyms.
My daughter at 6 years old didn't have a pullover, didn't have all her splits, couldn't do a whole heck of a lot on beam. She's now a 9 year old level 4. I can't imagine if they had written her off that young!

Look at other gyms.
My daughter at 6 years old didn't have a pullover, didn't have all her splits, couldn't do a whole heck of a lot on beam. She's now a 9 year old level 4. I can't imagine if they had written her off that young!

Totally agree! First of all, the current gym seems to lack tact and professionalism! Not sure you would even want your daughter on the team there. And secondly it's crazy to write off a 6 year old because she has no power in her run! At 6 my DD couldn't do a pullover or backbend and now she is a 9 year old level 6 (that still has no power in her vault run [emoji23]). But what she had all along was heart and hard work!
A LOT can happen in a short period of time, find a gym who believes that!

I do not understand gyms that write off girls at certain ages. It is very unfair. Gymnasts learn and improve at different ages and stages. A 6 year old beginner can be awesome at 8 years old--my dd started at 6 and she went to level 10. She'd be on a college team if it hadn't been for injuries. Carly Patterson started at 6! Find a gym who cares more about having girls who love the sport then they are about training girls only for elite track. My dd's gym has girls of all ages on every level. Level 1 has had 12-yr-olds and level 10 has had 10 year olds. They are a highly competitive and successful gym, and I think a lot of it has to do with letting any girl who desires to compete be in team, regardless of age. They just put them in the level that is appropriate for their skills.

I would check out other gyms in your area. There has to be one that appreciates skill regardless of age.

Here's another thought. Lower level teams are pretty big. The elite at our gym had 25 on her level 2 team. Over the years that number has dwindled to 1. Just 1. My dd's level 4 team had 6 girls ages 6-9. Only my dd made it to level 10. Many a very talented gymnast at age 5 or 6 ended up quitting or getting injured or just stopped liking gymnastics. So to be so narrow-minded and only taking very young girls on team is very short-sighted. Even highly competitive gyms can benefit from slightly older girls being on teams with younger girls. They are good leaders and good examples of how passion and hard work can make them a great gymnast.

I do not understand gyms that write off girls at certain ages. It is very unfair. Gymnasts learn and improve at different ages and stages. A 6 year old beginner can be awesome at 8 years old--my dd started at 6 and she went to level 10. She'd be on a college team if it hadn't been for injuries. Carly Patterson started at 6! Find a gym who cares more about having girls who love the sport then they are about training girls only for elite track. My dd's gym has girls of all ages on every level. Level 1 has had 12-yr-olds and level 10 has had 10 year olds. They are a highly competitive and successful gym, and I think a lot of it has to do with letting any girl who desires to compete be in team, regardless of age. They just put them in the level that is appropriate for their skills.

I would check out other gyms in your area. There has to be one that appreciates skill regardless of age.

Here's another thought. Lower level teams are pretty big. The elite at our gym had 25 on her level 2 team. Over the years that number has dwindled to 1. Just 1. My dd's level 4 team had 6 girls ages 6-9. Only my dd made it to level 10. Many a very talented gymnast at age 5 or 6 ended up quitting or getting injured or just stopped liking gymnastics. So to be so narrow-minded and only taking very young girls on team is very short-sighted. Even highly competitive gyms can benefit from slightly older girls being on teams with younger girls. They are good leaders and good examples of how passion and hard work can make them a great gymnast.
Yes! This!

Would they move her at this time of year though or is there a dedicated time kids "move up"

Most of the gyms in our area have tryouts and move-ups in spring but it never hurts to just call and ask. If it's just for pre-team, they may be willing to schedule an evaluation now. If it were for team, they would probably want to wait until competition season is over.

I am a complete newbie myself, but we just switched gyms. DD8 was doing rec classes in one gym and we never even considered other tracks since all rec classes were taught in a separate building from team. We switched for unrelated reasons, but the new gym requires a 15 minute evaluation for anyone above pre-school. At the evaluation, dd was offered excel track, and when we went to the first actual class, I got approached by the head of their competitive program and invited to JO developmental program. We are still weighing this decision as DD is older and already involved in other time intensive activities. But the point is that you might get asked right away and 6 is definitely not too old!

My daughter started gym at 7.
Did mini team for 2 years, because she was afraid to compete.
She did old L2/L3 at 10 years old - that's equal to level 1 and level 2 now. She was an 11 year old New L3. 12 year old L4, 13 year old L6.
If our gym wrote kids off, she'd be in the chess team today... as this was the only sport she's ever liked.

I'll echo everyone - 6 years old is definitely not too old!!

I did think it was a rather odd way to go about it. I just really felt bad for my DD but she was a trooper
I agree, that was inappropriate!

I was/am in a similar situation, but my daughter is much older!
My daughter started gym at 7.
Did mini team for 2 years, because she was afraid to compete.
She did old L2/L3 at 10 years old - that's equal to level 1 and level 2 now. She was an 11 year old New L3. 12 year old L4, 13 year old L6.
If our gym wrote kids off, she'd be in the chess team today... as this was the only sport she's ever liked.

I'll echo everyone - 6 years old is definitely not too old!!

I LOVE this!!!

I agree, that comment was inappropriate!

I was/am in a similar situation, but my daughter is much older! She is 9 and just finally is starting pre-team next week. It wasn't an easy path in the last several months to get there either. She's been at this gym (dance and gym) since she was 5 (on and off) not really focusing on anything. She did a few dance classes and progressed to level 4 rec in gym. This past year she's really found her drive and really wanted to be on team. Our gym is similar and typically takes very young girls. They have a preschool and many of them flow into accelerated and "mini preteam." In fact, they are creating this special older girls preteam class for this group that is starting now. They are hoping to get the girls ready this winter to try out for L3 JO team this spring. I had to write very self deprecating emails saying how I didn't realize I should have pushed her into this track sooner and how I know we are behind/have a lot to do to catch up, etc. just to get her evaluated. I was prepared and even started researching other gyms in our area. We'll see how it goes! Best of luck to you.

I am a complete newbie myself, but we just switched gyms. DD8 was doing rec classes in one gym and we never even considered other tracks since all rec classes were taught in a separate building from team. We switched for unrelated reasons, but the new gym requires a 15 minute evaluation for anyone above pre-school. At the evaluation, dd was offered excel track, and when we went to the first actual class, I got approached by the head of their competitive program and invited to JO developmental program. We are still weighing this decision as DD is older and already involved in other time intensive activities. But the point is that you might get asked right away and 6 is definitely not too old!
thanks. I feel so much better after hearing from all of you!

As others have said, get clear answers from a responsible adult at your gym as to how they approach their JO and Excel tracks. Also, as others have indicated, you may want to get yourself thinking about looking at other gyms. I'm sure there are plenty of gyms out there who believe 6 year olds have unlimited potential.

My daughter started rec level at 6 1/2; invited to Level 2 team before her 7th birthday and is on the Level 6/7 track before her 9th birthday. She never ran down the vault track prior to joining team and that did not stop her from being State Champion vaulter this year.

Good luck.

As others have said, get clear answers from a responsible adult at your gym as to how they approach their JO and Excel tracks. Also, as others have indicated, you may want to get yourself thinking about looking at other gyms. I'm sure there are plenty of gyms out there who believe 6 year olds have unlimited potential.

My daughter started rec level at 6 1/2; invited to Level 2 team before her 7th birthday and is on the Level 6/7 track before her 9th birthday. She never ran down the vault track prior to joining team and that did not stop her from being State Champion vaulter this year.

Good luck.
Thank you so much for sharing. After that chat with the coach I truly thought that it wasn't possible for her to ever be on the JO track and now I know it is. I plan to talk to the level 1/2 team coach next week after break. In the meantime I called another gym in town that a friend recommended and they want her to come in for an evaluation. They also have JO and Xcel but they don't compete until level 4. Her current gym competes Level 1 so we will see.

Thank you so much for sharing. After that chat with the coach I truly thought that it wasn't possible for her to ever be on the JO track and now I know it is. I plan to talk to the level 1/2 team coach next week after break. In the meantime I called another gym in town that a friend recommended and they want her to come in for an evaluation. They also have JO and Xcel but they don't compete until level 4. Her current gym competes Level 1 so we will see.

I wouldn't necessarily put competing Level 1 into the positive category if you're weighing pros/cons. There's certainly nothing wrong with it, but it's a lot of time spent learning routines and competing instead of conditioning and working towards harder skills. There aren't any gyms in our area that compete Level 1 or 2 other than on an in-house/rec basis.

I wouldn't necessarily put competing Level 1 into the positive category if you're weighing pros/cons. There's certainly nothing wrong with it, but it's a lot of time spent learning routines and competing instead of conditioning and working towards harder skills. There aren't any gyms in our area that compete Level 1 or 2 other than on an in-house/rec basis.
That is good to hear. I was actually surprised that they competed level 1 and I was sort of groaning thinking about it so I like the idea that the other gym I called starts competing level 4

That is good to hear. I was actually surprised that they competed level 1 and I was sort of groaning thinking about it so I like the idea that the other gym I called starts competing level 4
Yeah Level 2 is bad enough, I couldn't fathom the idea of competing Level 1.

Help all - this is getting away from the OP but our gym and my daughter did what is now level 1 ( she is now an optional ) it was a good way to find out early how meets work, Learn the ropes as a family and for the kids show off the skills they have learned - think of it as a dance recital- back to the OP I hope your daughter finds a gym that will make her gymnastics journey an incredible one whether it's where she is now or somewhere else. Good luck

It's a good foundation for later levels and gets them used to a competition setting. In our state it's huge and the competition is fierce.
I'm sure it helps. I have noticed a nearby gym that does not compete until Level 4 that does an exceptional job developing optional girls through Level 10 and recognize it doesn't hurt them much.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back