Parents Nj states question

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Crys1158

Proud Parent
My daughter qualified for states as an 8 yo but at times this season she has been with 7-8 groups at meets. Her bday is October will she be considered an 8 year old at the state meet? I have read it’s their age as of May or that the groups could just be combined bc of number of athletes.

How each state does this might be slightly different. She didn't qualify as any age, she qualifed as whatever level she is. In my state, the age groups for states are broken into fairly even groupings of kids, so some groups might only include a few months, whereas another might span a few years. They list all of the qulifiers in birth date order and cut the groups into about 20 per gorup.

States age groupings are different than regular season meets. She will be competing with girls typically within a few months of her birthday.

Reactions: sce
My daughter qualified for states as an 8 yo but at times this season she has been with 7-8 groups at meets. Her bday is October will she be considered an 8 year old at the state meet? I have read it’s their age as of May or that the groups could just be combined bc of number of athletes.
What their age is and what groups they are in are different things.

There is a decision made as to what their "age" is on a certain day.

Then they are grouped according to their ages which depending on the number of gymnasts can be less then even a year, a couple of years included, one year. They try to balance the age groups so you don't have one group of 100 kids and one of 10

http://usagnj.com/wp-content/uploads/2018/11/2019-Coaches-Handbook.pdf

http://www.mymeetscores.com/gym.pl?list=2&year=2018

How each state does this might be slightly different. She didn't qualify as any age, she qualifed as whatever level she is. In my state, the age groups for states are broken into fairly even groupings of kids, so some groups might only include a few months, whereas another might span a few years. They list all of the qulifiers in birth date order and cut the groups into about 20 per gorup.
Most meets group together like that. State meets typically divide age groups by birthday, not calendar age. There could be 7/8 year olds together if the birthdays are close.

Looked it up and New Jersey has different age determination dates for different levels(assume it has something to do with date of state meets). Level 3 and 4 are February 24; Level 2 and 5 are Feb 10; Level 6 and 7 April 28. Looking at meet results it looks like NJ does use age year, not breaking up into equal age groups by birthdate. Last level 4 state meet I found had: 7 8jr 8sr 9jr 9sr 10jr 10sr 11&up. Age groups varied in size from 12 to 42, with the two 9 year old groups the biggest. Looks like they combine ages if group will be too small, like a 7-8 age group for level 5 states.

Looked it up and New Jersey has different age determination dates for different levels(assume it has something to do with date of state meets). Level 3 and 4 are February 24; Level 2 and 5 are Feb 10; Level 6 and 7 April 28. Looking at meet results it looks like NJ does use age year, not breaking up into equal age groups by birthdate. Last level 4 state meet I found had: 7 8jr 8sr 9jr 9sr 10jr 10sr 11&up. Age groups varied in size from 12 to 42, with the two 9 year old groups the biggest. Looks like they combine ages if group will be too small, like a 7-8 age group for level 5 states.
The links are above along with mymeetcores info. It depends on the level and gymnasts.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back