Parents Preteam or continue in rec?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Be aware that in a lot of gyms the glass ceiling in rec classes is very low. Many gyms only teach skills beyond the more basic ones to team kids. Have a look at where she would go after she masters everything in the
Is rec class and then the next and so on. You might find that by turning down Team she will be okay for a year or so and then may have nothing more to learn. This is going to depend very much on the gym you are at.

Another thing to be aware of, is that at some gyms the invitation only comes once. If she doesn't hit the glass ceiling rec she may not get another chance to take it further.

It also seems she is far to young to make a judgement on whether or not she has the right personality for team. I have seen kids at 6 or 7 who seem like they won't have the personality for team end up being elite gymnasts.

It is also hard to make a call at such a young age as to whether she is interested in competing. She hasn't had the opportunity to try competing yet, she may love it. Little ones often really don't understand what it means to compete, they may have heard something or seen something that gives them the impression that it will be a certain way, that is completely untrue.

Sure, team is a big time and financial commitment. But like anything if it doesn't work you have the chance to opt out later. But you never know if you don't have a go.

Be aware that in a lot of gyms the glass ceiling in rec classes is very low. Many gyms only teach skills beyond the more basic ones to team kids. Have a look at where she would go after she masters everything in the
Is rec class and then the next and so on. You might find that by turning down Team she will be okay for a year or so and then may have nothing more to learn. This is going to depend very much on the gym you are at.

Another thing to be aware of, is that at some gyms the invitation only comes once. If she doesn't hit the glass ceiling rec she may not get another chance to take it further.

It also seems she is far to young to make a judgement on whether or not she has the right personality for team. I have seen kids at 6 or 7 who seem like they won't have the personality for team end up being elite gymnasts.

It is also hard to make a call at such a young age as to whether she is interested in competing. She hasn't had the opportunity to try competing yet, she may love it. Little ones often really don't understand what it means to compete, they may have heard something or seen something that gives them the impression that it will be a certain way, that is completely untrue.

Sure, team is a big time and financial commitment. But like anything if it doesn't work you have the chance to opt out later. But you never know if you don't have a go.

Thanks much for this perspective. Feeling like the big fork in the road type of decision again, but good to realize it.

It's helpful for me to hear that even if she doesn't seem to have a competitive personality or interest now, that you've seen other kids like that achieve high levels. I agree she really has no idea what gymnastics competition is like. I don't either. (I don't count what I watch once every 4 years on TV.)

I guess I was ruling her out a bit because it seems, probably from reading here, that so many kids her age or younger are WANTING to make team or compete. I thought that was the type best suited for team. I don't quite understand how they developed that desire. My daughter just wants to learn and do gymnastics.

I am thinking that even if a trial is not possible, I'll go ahead and sign her up. I'm reassured that she could go back to rec if she doesn't like preteam.

Thanks!

I can tell you about my daughter. At 7 she had no idea what competing was she like yours about acquiring new skills. She did a non sanctioned local meet in a neighboring gym and she did well. The desire to compete well began to grow. She is fairly relaxed at competition and takes her result, whatever it is, well. This past year at the state meet I heard from her teammates that she was talking to herself before bars. The comment was come on Dani you got this.

Morale if the story she now 11 and has desire to compete well it has begun to even venture into school.

Let her try see if it takes?

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back