WAG relocating to mid-missouri

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I know a bit about Columbia gyms(have family in the area), and if I can read between the lines and know which gyms you are talking about would go with gum B. Experienced Coaches capable of level 10(had a 10 this year that they took from 35's at level 8 to 35's at level 10 in 2 seasons, no small feat). They have an adequate pit. I think you might be concerned about their amount of equipment(ie number of bar sets, beams etc), but it's adequate for the size of their team.

From what you described I can't see her having any trouble getting back to level 9 by next season, so no worry about dropping back a level.

I'm guessing you bought a new house convenient to work, school etc. and found out she was reconsidering gym after that.

thats why i was thinking it just didnt seem right.....but then what if she doesnt have enough skills back to go JO....do they just drop back a level or just scratch the event until its ready?
It's pretty common for upper level optionals to scratch an event or two at the beginning of the season- especially in cases of injury or other circumstances that have kept them out of the gym or made progress on one event a little slower. Though if your daughter was able to get a good number of things back in just an open gym, I don't doubt her ability to get right back on track with solid coaching and gym time if she is on fire and ready to put in the work.
I didn't want to come straight out and say that Xcel probably isn't the right choice, as I am an Xcel coach and can see the value of the program, but now that someone else has said it... but in the case of a kid like your daughter- it's probably not the best fit. If she just wanted to go back and have fun with it, not too concerned with getting skills back or learning new skills, it might be okay, but that doesn't sound like the case.

Another one here who doesn't think Xcel is a good fit for your DD. Besides all that has been said in favor of no Xcel, I'd also like to add that the high scores you see on mymeetscores may not be indicative of a powerhouse Xcel gym as Xcel typically scores higher than JO. My DD did a year of Xcel before JO4 and she regularly scored above 37 in Xcel. She did not crack that in JO until JO7 despite her rankings/placements at meets being very consistent for Xcel and JO4-JO7. Also, you mentioned lower scores at the gyms that have optionals compared to what you are used to with your DD's old gym. If your DD was at a powerhouse gym that had a culture for training a certain level gymnast that would explain higher and more consistent scores. A small gym in a less populated area doesn't always have the luxury of attracting such talented athletes.

thanks everybody! we have some tough decisions to make for sure, i hope we do the right thing, im just not sure I am ready myself....Definitely a life changer. If anyone from mid-missouri can msg me directly, i would appreciate it!

Welcome to Missouri! We relocated here a year ago and love it. Wish I had some advice on gyms for you but we live further east. I'm sure we did some meets with gyms you are looking at but my DD is a L6 so no advice - just wanted to welcome a fellow Missourian.

gympeeps -

Just remember, if your dd has this renewed passion and really wants to pick up anywhere near where she left off, you need to listen to her passion and let it fly. Putting her in an Xcel program will not let her fly; it will frankly clip her wings. Imagine her going into an Xcel gym and start training some of the skills she used to have (she still has them, but they are dormant) and the other girls ostracizing her. Not a pretty picture.

Good Luck.

gympeeps -

Just remember, if your dd has this renewed passion and really wants to pick up anywhere near where she left off, you need to listen to her passion and let it fly. Putting her in an Xcel program will not let her fly; it will frankly clip her wings. Imagine her going into an Xcel gym and start training some of the skills she used to have (she still has them, but they are dormant) and the other girls ostracizing her. Not a pretty picture.

Good Luck.

I know, I have to admit, that I am probably a roadblock. I cant help but want to keep the pressure off as she eases in and i worry about safety as young coaches might get excited and have her chucking big skills before rebuilding strength and form. And I know my daughter - she will throw whatever they're willing to let her, lol. Just hope we find a coach that can reign her in and safely progress as she gets in shape. Thank you for in a nice way reminding me to get out of her way[emoji4]. thats why i need chalkbucket....keeps me in check a little.

Well when I was 8 I think I moved so I decided to switch to a closer gym, my first gym was tiny, no spring floor, no vault runway really but we had greats bonds and AMAZING coaches, my next gym was still small but bigger with spring floor and a good vault runway, I went from excel silver to excel diamond (optional) by the time I was 10. But I look back and I was messy also I didn't like the coaches and a lot of people there were mean to me. I ended up tearing my MCL, ACL, and meniscus, I needed surgery and had to take 1 1/2 years off. I didn't plan to go back but I changed my mind when I was almost 12. I decided to try a gym my friend went to. It was really big with a lot of equipment (well compared to what I was used to) but the head coach and some others kinda hated me, it was only compulsory which I was not used to (and didn't like), I wasn't improving, I started training level 4 but couldn't get my lip back, I could do everything for level 6 but my kip so they wouldn't let me move up, I had some really good friends but I just really didn't like it. After a summer there I decided I wanted to go back to my original gym. I'm back there now, I'm 13 and just finished competing platinum. I love the coaches and my friends. K the moral of the long story[emoji23] is that the smallest gym was my favorite, I have the best technique and even though the second smallest gym (which was still tiny) was the gym I moved the faster in, I like this one better and I am close to where I was except I have much better technique. I can still do many of the things I used to be able to do so right now I'm just working on my strength to be able to do everything again. So pick whichever gym your kid likes because they'll still improve regardless of the size and if it gets to be too little equipment (which I'm getting close to) if they need to switch they'll have much better foundation and technique and in the long run be better. Good luck[emoji4]

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back