WAG Tiger paws, or.... (other options)

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

duyetanh

Proud Parent
My child so far had escaped needing these, but I know her time will come. My friends child at the gym is mentioning wrist pain with backhandsprings...she is a level 7 and done more than her share of them. Sports ortho says all is well, but needs wrist supports. I thought I would ask for her (she doesn't do forums, but I am trying, lol)....what options are out there? Someone mentioned an alternative to tiger paws? I too am curious, as it seems the higher you go in levels, the more imminent they seem to become. Thanks!

Dd started using tiger paws in lv 6, still on the same pair and she is ending lv7 this weekend at regionals and moving to lv 8. They easily lasted longer than 2 seasons. Will most likely replace after regionals, but just because they are kinda stinky! :)

Thank you for your response, I will pass it on. Her dd's ortho said those should work, but I remembered others commenting on here about options so thought I would ask. Do the tiger paws really help alleviate the stress on the wrists (asks the ignorant one)?

Thank you for your response, I will pass it on. Her dd's ortho said those should work, but I remembered others commenting on here about options so thought I would ask. Do the tiger paws really help alleviate the stress on the wrists (asks the ignorant one)?

They do, according to dd. I have talked with other gym moms who used golden hands, and they said they just didn't last as long as tiger paws. Luckily, that is ONE injury we haven't had this season! :/

My child so far had escaped needing these, but I know her time will come. My friends child at the gym is mentioning wrist pain with backhandsprings...she is a level 7 and done more than her share of them. Sports ortho says all is well, but needs wrist supports. I thought I would ask for her (she doesn't do forums, but I am trying, lol)....what options are out there? Someone mentioned an alternative to tiger paws? I too am curious, as it seems the higher you go in levels, the more imminent they seem to become. Thanks!
Golden Hands are the same thing… but can be much less expensive (especially if she gets "seconds" - meaning there might be a slight color variation or a crease mark in the leather from the dyeing process). And whereas Tiger Paws go by weight, Golden hands go by wrist size. We got a pair in 2013 and they are still going strong.

Man, I am now wondering if I should get these for MY kid for preventive stuff, even though she has no pain currently. This may sound like a stupid question, but do girls wear them for preventive, or after the fact?
Just wondering...she definitely doesn't need them. But if it helps prevent injury, I am tempted...

Preventive generally. Once they start vaulting/training Yurchenko's, it becomes necessary as it is a lot of stress in the wrists.

Preventative for sure. Our coaches feel that wrists were not meant to do gymnastics therefore some additional support would be good for the long term health of the body......seems very logical as opposed to- they make your wrists weak.

My divers use Donjoy or Skidz.

Same principle- to stop the wrist hyperextending. In diving they're almost purely preventative and mainly used on higher boards where the impact is greater. They're used from any age or level, but mainly when a child starts to take dives up to 5m and above.

They don't enclose the thumb like tiger paws- they're basically wrist guards with an insert (various sizes supplied) that extend over the back of the wrist to prevent hyperextension.

Disclaimer- no I don't work for them, but thought I'd chip in with alternatives. I know some male gymnasts prefer the skidz/donjoy.

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back