WAG Tiger Paws

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

I've been curious about these... some have mentioned that the smaller gymnasts don't seem to need them because with their lighter weight there is less impact, but is there a time that is too early to put your child in these? DD is training L9 right now but maybe weighs 55-60 lbs. The tiger paws online say a small is for 69-115 lbs. Do they not need them before 69 lbs? DD does not complain of wrist pain, thankfully, and I do ask often but for preventative measures with the skills she is working now it makes me wonder.

I've been curious about these... some have mentioned that the smaller gymnasts don't seem to need them because with their lighter weight there is less impact, but is there a time that is too early to put your child in these? DD is training L9 right now but maybe weighs 55-60 lbs. The tiger paws online say a small is for 69-115 lbs. Do they not need them before 69 lbs? DD does not complain of wrist pain, thankfully, and I do ask often but for preventative measures with the skills she is working now it makes me wonder.

Dd is lv 8, weighs 70 lbs. She wears a size small. 69 lbs and under wear size xs. On dd's lv 8 team, there are 5 girls, 2 that weigh 70 and the other 3 are below-well below 70. They wear xs.

My suggestion, for what it's worth, is to buy xs to have on hand "if" she ever complains of pain. If she never uses them, you can probably sell them for close to retail.

Thank you! I didn't realize there was something smaller. I was just looking at them on Amazon but I'm sure there are other places to get them that would have the XS. You're right though, couldn't hurt to have them on hand!

Just adding another voice of "support"! Kipper was instructed to order them last summer when training for L7. Our coaches favor preventative measures. I asked the ortho, and he concurred. Wrists weren't made for gymnastics. Eventually they will need the extra help.

Daughter has her follow up Friday for her wrist injury. I expect the doc to release her after 6 weeks. Her coaches thought that was too long to be out............ Oh well. And they say she doesn't need wrist guards. Needless to say she will be going back to practice with them starting tomorrow. We are going to give these a try as they keep her bare.

https://www.amazon.com/Skids-Wrist-...466700170&sr=8-1&keywords=skids+wrist+support

but if not these it will be Tiger Paws or Golden Hands. She will have something supporting her wrists.

So daughter went back today. With doctor recommending the wrist supports. Coach prefers paws so paws it is. No support was not an option we presented to coach.

I am already hearing about the catching up she will have to do............. from being out so long.

I take deep breathes, lots of them. And remind myself (and the coach too). She is not catching up, she is not behind. She is on her own path. It is what it is. She has all her L6 skills and most of her 7. There wasn't a plan to move her past 6 this year. So really its OK. I refuse to be stressed by these 2 sentences. She is behind. or She needs to catch up. Nope Nope Nope she is on the little ldw path, right where she is supposed to be.

Agree -- they're for support, not to strengthen. I do have to say, I am mighty impressed that @shelovestoflip's daughter made it to L10 without Tiger Paws and without wrist pain!
So last night watching the P&Gs, I saw one of the women vault without Tiger Paws. I wish I could remember who! It made me feel a little better thinking my daughter isn't the only one out there not wearing them!

So last night watching the P&Gs, I saw one of the women vault without Tiger Paws. I wish I could remember who! It made me feel a little better thinking my daughter isn't the only one out there not wearing them!

Simone is the one I can remember right now that doesn't use tiger paws but I think there is one or two more as well.

McKayla Maroney was another great vaulter who didn't wear wrist supports. I think supports are used for precautionary reasons and can be helpful to prevent wrist injury, but many make it all the way through without supports and without injury. On the flip side, I've known gymnasts who religiously wear Tiger Paws, but have still managed to get serious wrist injuries.

Dd started wearing Tiger Paws while working with a cautious coach who was nervous about some wrist pain dd was having at the time, and the coach made her put them on. Dd felt such a relief that day that she continued to wear them voluntarily from then on. While I agree the supports haven't weakened her wrists per say, I think she is completely dependent on them now. I think her wrists have been supported on vault for so long, that without the Tiger Paws, her wrists couldn't take the impact of her vaulting on them now.

McKayla Maroney was another great vaulter who didn't wear wrist supports. I think supports are used for precautionary reasons and can be helpful to prevent wrist injury, but many make it all the way through without supports and without injury. On the flip side, I've known gymnasts who religiously wear Tiger Paws, but have still managed to get serious wrist injuries.

Dd started wearing Tiger Paws while working with a cautious coach who was nervous about some wrist pain dd was having at the time, and the coach made her put them on. Dd felt such a relief that day that she continued to wear them voluntarily from then on. While I agree the supports haven't weakened her wrists per say, I think she is completely dependent on them now. I think her wrists have been supported on vault for so long, that without the Tiger Paws, her wrists couldn't take the impact of her vaulting on them now.

I tend to think its a few things regarding wrists. I think there are probably types that are prone to wrist issues. Much like people carry their weight in different places. And some are lower BMIs and some who naturally have higher BMIs, some are short and stocky, some tall and lithe.

Next I think better to err on the side of caution rather then push it. As in the case of your daughter, who was exhibiting wrist pain. How great the coach nipped it I the bud.

Really just watching the pounding the wrists take. Logic tells me those bones were not meant for what our kids are doing.

Do tiger paws help for wrist pain on the palm side? I am L8 and have been having pain when putting any pressure on right wrist. Can't find anything about pain on this side of wrist.

Wrist pain varies with age too. A 12 yo needing some support is very different from a 17 yo.
Munch left practice last night with wrist pain.....I told her and the coaches at the same time.........time for her to dust off the tiger paws!

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back