Parents Trouble finding a gym...

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

GymnastMomX2

Proud Parent
Ugh. I feel like the worst parent ever for dragging my kid half way across the country. We just moved last week and so far have been rejected by one gym, and basically rejected over the phone for another gym that she has an evaluation at tomorrow. I was super excited there were a few gyms close to us but now it looks like I might have to start looking at a longer drive... if I can even find a gym to take her. :(

(She competed level 4 last year, and one "score out" level 5 meet and was set with level 6 routines to start competing in December in NY.)

Oh no :( Why on earth are they rejecting her? I guess I have just never heard of that!

I hope you find your gym home soon!

Reactions: sce
Because skill-wise she would fit in with their level 5s not their optionals (which I totally agree with) but since the competition season already started they don't want to take her on. :(

Ahhhh, Texas. I thought there was a gym within spitting distance of just about everywhere down there. Have you visited the Texas USAG website and looked at the listing of gyms in Texas? (http://txusag.com) and then click on "ProMember" and then on TxUSAG e-book and then club directory (I counted 5 in Austin alone).

Good Luck

Similar happened to us. We moved from FL to CA. DD (age 6 last season, 7 now) had competed level 3 last year in FL and was going to repeat 3 this season had we stayed in FL. New gym in CA wanted to clean up her skills a bit before letting her compete 3 but with it being so close to the start of comp. season they didn't feel they had enough time. They gave us the option of having her compete level 2 this season or just let her train her level 3 skills until next season. We chose the latter. DD is so young that for us the delay really wasn't a big deal to her or us. for us, good choice as we LOVE new gym.

Have they completely rejected her or just said she won't be able to compete this season? If she "trains only" maybe she'll be ready to score out of 5 at the start of next season or maybe even at a spring meet early next year?

It's such a horrible feeling and I can empathize. We had the same troubles with our last move. Old gym saw so much promise in DD that they were willing to overlook the fact that she was new and started at 12.. New gyms had no reason to have that faith, with no history, and none were willing to even try her out for JO. We settled on a gym that seemed a promising fit for xcel and ended up switching again after only three weeks. And now DD, who had gone from training 6 to 10 to 17 to 32 hrs a week at her old gym- always with a smile and energy to spare, is back to training only 6 hours. It breaks her heart and mine for her.

Sorry about the tangent.. Back to you.. Have you asked either gym if your DD could train but not compete this year, and jump into 6 next year? Doesn't optional season start in January? Could she not be basic 6 ready by then? Are there still other gyms to try? Maybe one of those will be more willing to work with you. The closest gym isn't always the best choice. I really hope you find the perfect place for your DD. We move every two years, so this is a constant struggle for us- hopefully you will be in one place that you love for a long time!

Similar happened to us. We moved from FL to CA. DD (age 6 last season, 7 now) had competed level 3 last year in FL and was going to repeat 3 this season had we stayed in FL. New gym in CA wanted to clean up her skills a bit before letting her compete 3 but with it being so close to the start of comp. season they didn't feel they had enough time. They gave us the option of having her compete level 2 this season or just let her train her level 3 skills until next season. We chose the latter. DD is so young that for us the delay really wasn't a big deal to her or us. for us, good choice as we LOVE new gym.

Have they completely rejected her or just said she won't be able to compete this season? If she "trains only" maybe she'll be ready to score out of 5 at the start of next season or maybe even at a spring meet early next year?

She actually already scored out of 5 this summer, the problem with the first gym is that she isn't up to the gyms "optional standards". Cast handstand, press handstand, giants etc etc. They don't think they are even going to have a level 6 team at all. They called me today completely rejecting even having her just train there.

The second gym we tried only works out 6 hours a week and does TAAF, which she doesnt want, and the gym we are trying tomorrow is a similar situation as the first one, they aren't having a level 6 team at all. So skill-wise she would be right there with the level 5s, but since they are competing, they dont want to throw a new kid in the mix. There are still a couple more gyms to try, just not the ones that are super close.

Glad the new gym is working out for you guys! I hope we find a gym we end up loving. fingers crossed.

I agree with Bookworm! She clearly already knows the L5 routines if she scored out. Our gym does the same. We have no L5s. I'm sure there is some way to get her into the meets even if there is a late fee. We had a girl move after Christmas & was able to finish out her season in another Region at the same level she was competing.

TAAF is not a bad program, especially if she's a newcomer. 6 hours a week is on the low side.....BUT bright side, she would have plenty of time to adjust to her new school and new classes, etc. I personally would prefer divisions like TAAF. And other than the divisions and hours per week, it's virtually the same program as JO. The meets will probably even be the same! Schedule for lvl 5 meets, oct district champs & state in nov. Ask those gyms if she could join after their compulsory season. I personally feel like she could be more successful in TAAF in L6. But don't forget to check into smaller gyms. Good Luck.

our gym has gotten girls in the middle of the season before - every single year it seems to happen at some level. They don't typically get into all the meets we go to, but I would say 75% of the remaining meets they are able to accommodate an additional person. Those gyms just don't really want to try very hard at it. It sounds like she could benefit from a season of level 5, I wonder if someone will let her start competing that, moving up to optionals next season.

I jus don't understand why a gym would not let you just train right now, if their season already started. It is not that difficult to work a girl into a group if they have similar skills. Maybe bigger gyms are reluctant to do that, I don't know. Perhaps if you propose it as a trial phase on both sides?

We were in Texas for a couple of years. We arrived in Sept and the season had already started. DD was 6 or 7 and had to just train with the girls the first year, she wasn't able to compete. Maybe you can find a gym that will allow her to do that.

why wouldn't they just have her join the L5 group and train with them, but not compete? Is that an option?

why wouldn't they just have her join the L5 group and train with them, but not compete? Is that an option?
The first gym we tried they didn't want to "take on a project" right now in the middle of comp. season.

We actually tried another gym last night and it went sooo much better than the other two gyms. They actually have a level 6 team and said she would fit right in. The only problem is its a little farther than I wanted to drive, and on toll roads, but we will make it work if we have to. She has another trial tonight and one more on Monday. Feeling a little better though knowing that there is somewhere she will fit in, even if the drive is a little more than I wanted.

But holy sticker shock on the prices here!! Its literally double what I was paying in NY. I may have to get a second job.... lol

About training, not competing . Some gyms just don't have that philosophy. You are on the team to contribute yo the team, especially at the optional Levels. They just aren't interested in girls who aren't able to contribute to the AA scores. Shrug.

Sticker shock I get! We went from $250 a month for 13 hrs (or $300 for 17.5) to $375 month for 6 hrs! I didn't know whether to laugh or cry- and that's for one of my two gymmies. I guess it could be more but it didn't feel like it. Lol

DON'T LURK... Join The Discussion!

Members see FEWER ads

Gymnaverse :: Recent Activity

College Gym News

Back